Quantcast

A little help with current events

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
So, at 26 years old, I've realized that I don't follow current events nearly as well as I should. That's partly why I'm not registered to vote. I feel I shouldn't have a say if I can't make an educated decision on the matters at hand. So my question to :monkey: 's is this: how do I go about reading into current events so I will be able to make my own decision? I know I could read the paper or watch CNN, but it seems like every form of traditional media carries heavy bias, either based on political views or sponsorships. Any help?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Crazy Sweeper said:
So, at 26 years old, I've realized that I don't follow current events nearly as well as I should. That's partly why I'm not registered to vote. I feel I shouldn't have a say if I can't make an educated decision on the matters at hand. So my question to :monkey: 's is this: how do I go about reading into current events so I will be able to make my own decision? I know I could read the paper or watch CNN, but it seems like every form of traditional media carries heavy bias, either based on political views or sponsorships. Any help?
Flip a coin. You're gonna get screwed no matter how you vote.

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
I guess its not just voting, otherwise this post should be in the political forum. Just wondering if there are any decent resources out there, or if you just need to read the same article multiple times from different views

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Bias? In what way? Pro-business? Pro-liberal? Anti-war?

If you really care, you could read (or watch the documentary) Manufacturing Consent, by Noam Chomsky, which analyzes bias in the media without a political filter (unlike the mediaheads which yell political bias at every shadow).

However, I saw the documentary after many years of newspaper reading, particularily the New York Times, my hometown paper and considered to be one of the best. Chomsky pointed out a lack of stories on East Timor, which was invaded by Indonesian forces. I had to reconsider my perspective on the Times, and it has influenced how I read my favorite paper.

I would strongly recommend reading more news, and start making your own judgements on what you see.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Crazy Sweeper said:
I guess its not just voting, otherwise this post should be in the political forum. Just wondering if there are any decent resources out there, or if you just need to read the same article multiple times from different views
Take Nate then subtract roughly 50% conservative and you have something that is fairly accurate.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Yeah, not much in the way of unbiased coverage around. Best option is to look at multiple sources. Off the top of my head: NYTimes, San Jose Mercury News (don't know why, but this one keeps coming up), NPR, BBC, CBC, the Guardian (UK), Globe and Mail (Toronto), Dawn (Karachi). There are a ton more. Mother Jones is on the left. (Again, there are a ton more, but that is the one that pops into my head first.)

For a readily available news source, NPR (National Public Radio) is not bad. I personally avoid the FOX Empire if I can (MSNBC, FOX News, The Australian, etc.,etc.)

EDIT: If you insist on watching FOX News, at least take a look a Al Jazeera every now and again to see what the other extreme is saying.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
sanjuro said:
Bias? In what way? Pro-business? Pro-liberal? Anti-war?

If you really care, you could read (or watch the documentary) Manufacturing Consent, by Noam Chomsky, which analyzes bias in the media without a political filter (unlike the mediaheads which yell political bias at every shadow).

However, I saw the documentary after many years of newspaper reading, particularily the New York Times, my hometown paper and considered to be one of the best. Chomsky pointed out a lack of stories on East Timor, which was invaded by Indonesian forces. I had to reconsider my perspective on the Times, and it has influenced how I read my favorite paper.

I would strongly recommend reading more news, and start making your own judgements on what you see.
Please, you must be joking. Noam Chomsky doesn't do ANYTHING without a political filter.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
DRB said:
Please, you must be joking. Noam Chomsky doesn't do ANYTHING without a political filter.
In what manner? That he is anti-war? Or that he is a liberal?

I should have been more specific. I hear too much about liberal media bias, and I think it is just hacks running their mouths. I do not believe Chomsky is influenced in that way...