Quantcast

A Little Medical Help

What shoud I do ?

• Call my Doctor

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Lance it with a big knife and bleed out on the floor.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Keep riding with it like this, what could go wrong.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Find a meth head to suck out the "poison".

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blame Obama.

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Call Loco, ask if he has any bacon.

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
So on yesterday's ride I got stung by something just below my knee. Was going too fast to see what kind of bug it was, but it felt like a bee. It's been swollen since. And today my whole shin from the knee to the ankle is red and puffy.

What should I do?

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
Take benadryl, use topical antihistamines, and if the swelling doesn't go down or spreads, or you lose feeling to your foot or toes, go to the doctor. I wouldn't recommend icing it unless you're sure it was a bee. I can't remember why, but I do remember being told not to ice certain types of bites and stings in my WFR class.

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
Two different buddies this summer were stung by those small azz yellow jackets and both swelled up pretty good. One stung on the ankle and the other the hand. Both while riding. the nest was found and destroyed by someone in the group but was confirmed it was those small little yellow jackets. The swelling was pretty severe but went down in about two weeks.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I've been stung several times by ground nesters, but none of the bites cause this much swelling. I wish I had a cigarette when it happened. Moistened tobacco held on the bite with tape or band-aid neutralizes the toxins. But unfortunately most smokers are too lazy/unhealthy to be out on the trails. Think I might start caring a cancer stick in my pack. The only good use for them.

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
Thats pretty rad. A few in our crew smoke. I woulda liked to see that in action. But yeah, those ground nesters were the culprits here.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
When I was young, I got stung by 2 wasps. My grandmother pulled out a fresh cig, chewed on it, and taped the saliva ladened tabacco and paper wads over the bites. Thought it was witchcraft, but it took the pain away.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
When I was young, I got stung by 2 wasps. My grandmother pulled out a fresh cig, chewed on it, and taped the saliva ladened tabacco and paper wads over the bites. Thought it was witchcraft, but it took the pain away.
Grandma's have all the secrets.

I once fell out of tree and hurt my arm.
Told g'ma I 'fell out of the goddammed tree and hurt my arm'.
The back hand across my face made me forget all about the arm.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I've been stung several times by ground nesters, but none of the bites cause this much swelling. I wish I had a cigarette when it happened. Moistened tobacco held on the bite with tape or band-aid neutralizes the toxins. But unfortunately most smokers are too lazy/unhealthy to be out on the trails. Think I might start caring a cancer stick in my pack. The only good use for them.
Couldn't you just stick a nicotine patch over the sting? Easier to carry and apply.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Oooh I'd get it seen to, I got a tick bite that went bad and I got stuck in hospital for a few days and the dude in the opposite bed was a fixie rider, get it fixed quick or you too may end up pretending you give a **** about fixies.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Couldn't you just stick a nicotine patch over the sting? Easier to carry and apply.
Nicotine is just one of the many ingredients in tobacco. A patch is pretty much just straight nicotine, so it's not a good replacement for tobacco leaves. My guess is that nicotine is probably not the active ingredient in neutralizing the toxins.