Quantcast

A little more 2010 Glory headangle info

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Fellow Monkeys,

We here at Go-Ride have now had the opportunity to build and measure a few 2010 Glorys and have found the bikes to be about 1 degree slacker than the originally spec'd 65.5 degrees.

EK Rippers bike with a 2010 Boxxer and Highroller tires is 64.5-64.2 depending on how high the crowns are set (max214/min205).

2010 Glory 1's need a bit of help out of the box! The medium comes with too many spacers under the crown, and has 190mm of stanction showing. Once the spacers are removed, and the tall cone spacer is left in there is plenty of room (see EK'a specs above).

Large Glory 1's come with a taller headtube, no spcacers aside from the tall cone spacer. Exactly 200mm of stanction is exposed with the top crown at max height. 64.8 head angle. A shorter headset upper bearing cap out of another headset might be a good idea, and a way to get the head angle to 64.5

Now, i have no interest in silly arguments. I'm just trying to straighten things out. I didn't take pics of myself with an anglefinder in my hand but i have measured countless bikes on the same floor in the shop with the same anglefinder, both ways and averaged them. We compared with an iphone to get very close numbers (the iphone came out slacker by 1/4 degree)

More info.

EK's bike with 2.5 HR UST, and the crown set low, BB 14.25. Crowns set at max, 14.375. Those tires get taller by the day with Stans sealant in them.

Glory 1 with 2.5 Michelins, crown set low, 14.375 (tires are taller than the Maxxis)

Since the BB isn't crazy low the tall cone spacer will probably be fine, handlebar height wise. However for shorter folk a $30 headset purchase to steal the top bearing cap might come in handy.

Is 64.5 slack enough for you? That is for you to decide.

Krispy

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
So, did I read correctly that you've measured other bikes in the same method, and they all came out to roughly their listed angles? I'm just wondering if other bikes rake out when actually kitted up and ready to go.

That new glory should be a really popular frame though.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
cool...just wondering what the general consensus was...if every measured angle is slightly slacker, that says something, but if they vary significantly, than that's cool.

Thanks for doing the write up

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Here's a pic of the cone spacer, on a Reign X (same headset)

Here's my headset with the low stack top bearing cap i swapped off my 09 Reign X

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
So what is the bottom bracket height and head angle measurement when properly sprung with a fully kitted, 175lb DH rider wearing a carbon D2 (not D3), a loin cloth and approximately 26PSI in the tires. This all assumes that the air temperature is above 65 degrees so that the tires are not underinflated due to the cold.

Also, was that a pre-ridden or pre-seated Michelin DH tire? They "expand" you know and this could drasticly alter head angle if the tire has not expanded as yet.

Last, what is the approximate angle of attack of the above rider assuming the rider is 5'10", has a 30" inseam, but relatively long arms? After all, if this bike is made for short armed, 34" inseamed, long legged riders, then the bike would carry more weight over the front, meaning the head angle would be drasticly different!!

Need more info!!!

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
I dunno. I'm short, with comparatively short arms and still ride old school with my ass on my tire regardless of ambient air temperature.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
How do sizes compare with last year? I heard the new smalls were tiny?
5'8" rode the med. last season but, small felt good too. Just wondering
which one since the new Med. grew an inch or so top tube.
Eh Dennis what are you guys rollin? Glory 0 frames or the Glory 1?
What sizes are you guys rippin' Med.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
just FYI on the differences as well, most companies have a weld precision of +/- 0.5 degrees. so theoretically, a bike with a (claimed) 64 degree head angle, could be as slack as 63.5, or as steep at 64.5 depending on which one you get off the assembly line.

-KT

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Exactly. Measure a few others and see what they come out at.

The one we had on demo was 65 dead with the stanchions dropped to the limit. The BB was 14.6". It was a absolute pile of crap. Everyone who rode it couldn't wait to get off it and two crashed it. We ghosted it over the dirt jumps at the end of the day LOL.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
How do sizes compare with last year? I heard the new smalls were tiny?
5'8" rode the med. last season but, small felt good too. Just wondering
which one since the new Med. grew an inch or so top tube.
Eh Dennis what are you guys rollin? Glory 0 frames or the Glory 1?
What sizes are you guys rippin' Med.
Yo! we are repping the Glory 0 Frame, On my list i have 3 mediums and 3 larges! FYI ill be on the medium and im 5'10"-5'11". Gavin which is our smallest rider i think at 5'8" will be rippin the medium as well.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
So what is the bottom bracket height and head angle measurement when properly sprung with a fully kitted, 175lb DH rider wearing a carbon D2 (not D3), a loin cloth and approximately 26PSI in the tires. This all assumes that the air temperature is above 65 degrees so that the tires are not underinflated due to the cold.

Also, was that a pre-ridden or pre-seated Michelin DH tire? They "expand" you know and this could drasticly alter head angle if the tire has not expanded as yet.

Last, what is the approximate angle of attack of the above rider assuming the rider is 5'10", has a 30" inseam, but relatively long arms? After all, if this bike is made for short armed, 34" inseamed, long legged riders, then the bike would carry more weight over the front, meaning the head angle would be drasticly different!!

Need more info!!!
This is a fantastic post. I sincerely enjoyed reading every word.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Just wondering JCL is there anything...anything at all that you actually like???:butcher:
DH bikes ?

Well the only two I'd actually part with cash for are a Demo 8 or a Mondraker Summum. I think it's hard to argue against them being the best bikes on the market at their respective price points. I also think the Lapierre 920 and Banshee Legend look good but haven't ridden either.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
thanks for posting this info, Krispy. Any comments on the turning radius w/ the boxxer/glory? that nsmb review commented on the 1.5 flared headtube limiting the range of motion with the relatively narrow-crowned boxxer, but the previous generation of glorys had the same head tube as i recall, and i've seen plenty of those with boxxers and no complaints from their owners.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
DH bikes ?

Well the only two I'd actually part with cash for are a Demo 8 or a Mondraker Summum. I think it's hard to argue against them being the best bikes on the market at their respective price points. I also think the Lapierre 920 and Banshee Legend look good but haven't ridden either.
Oh. That explains alot. :nope:
No, what he was really asking was "what bike do you show up at the trail on and immediately tout the praises of to the crowd of guys who are already at the entrance of the trail staring back at you waiting on you to get your settings dialed?"

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Did you try to lower the crowns so that the head angle was 65? And if so, how many people got buried under the wave of fire breathing toads that erupted out of the ground?

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Yo! we are repping the Glory 0 Frame, On my list i have 3 mediums and 3 larges! FYI ill be on the medium and im 5'10"-5'11". Gavin which is our smallest rider i think at 5'8" will be rippin the medium as well.

Hmm, I ordered a medium and I am 6ft. How can a medium fit the both of you 5,8 and 5 11? maybe i should have gone large?

tnt2671

Chimp
Nov 15, 2001
SPFLD, MA.
Hmm, I ordered a medium and I am 6ft. How can a medium fit the both of you 5,8 and 5 11? maybe i should have gone large?
not to get off the original topic but i am in the same boat on sizing ?'s , a friend that owns my local shop is giving me a very nice price on either a glory 0 or 1 but he isnt going to stock any. so at about 5'7'' i dont know what to have him order, a small or medium? if any of you guys out there are on the shorter side and have actually ridden or sized up on one your input would be greatly appreciated because it seems i could go either way. thanks in advance

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
daisy, the other guys on the team that are riding the large are 6'2-6'7" and i believe alex is 6'0 or 6'1" and he is on a medium, but tham again he likes the smaller frame size since he came from BMX. the large on me is a limo and thats what alex said it felt like as well. but remember this is 09 sizing.

TNT-
2010 mediums have an extra 1 inch in top tube length over 09. so if your 5'7 id look into a small. let me do some research and see what i find for you. but most likely a small would be best for you. but than again it depends on your riding style... may i ask what bike you are riding now and what stem?

vtminuteman

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Sharon VT
The reason I picked the med is its down tube length matches my current frame, a small sinister f-bomb. I got the measurement from a post on RM, which measured from the center of the bb to the top center of the head tube.

I'm Gavin the 5'8" guy mentioned above. I would compare past rides to the 10 glory to pick your size. Maybe the original poster can measure down tubes of a small, medium, and large.

I picked the dt length as the key measurement because its directly measuring the distance between your bars and feet.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
yeaaa Gbaby in the house ahaha,

TNT your right on the bubble, see if you can get a hold of giant (if not i can) and ask them about their sticker frame sizing and see where your at.

tnt2671

Chimp
Nov 15, 2001
SPFLD, MA.
daisy, the other guys on the team that are riding the large are 6'2-6'7" and i believe alex is 6'0 or 6'1" and he is on a medium, but tham again he likes the smaller frame size since he came from BMX. the large on me is a limo and thats what alex said it felt like as well. but remember this is 09 sizing.

TNT-
2010 mediums have an extra 1 inch in top tube length over 09. so if your 5'7 id look into a small. let me do some research and see what i find for you. but most likely a small would be best for you. but than again it depends on your riding style... may i ask what bike you are riding now and what stem?
been riding a borrowed older iron horse sgs med. honestly never measured the stem , just went out and made the best i could out of the rides.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
Oh. That explains alot. :nope:
No, what he was really asking was "what bike do you show up at the trail on and immediately tout the praises of to the crowd of guys who are already at the entrance of the trail staring back at you waiting on you to get your settings dialed?"
Being opinionated doesn't mean that you can't ride, are a fan boy or a newb, nor does it mean that you are wrong.

Edit: Thanks Krispy.

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
has any one posted reach and stack measurements of the 2010 glory sizes? I am sure that would be an great reference. perhaps it could even find its way onto the giant site. paging mr. riffle or mr. yuroshek:phone:

i would buy anything Chupacabra, though i prefer genuine Puerto Rican Chupacabra...

hold on
why,hasnt Chupacabra become PinkShirt's new nickname,
i mean it litterally means "goat sucker." fvcking perfect.

ekripper

Chimp
Jul 2, 2005
Salt Lake City, Utah
ill be getting a prototype Works headset for the glory within the next 2 weeks. stay tuned...
Please do keep us posted yuro. I'm pretty stoked with the geo of mine right now but I've only had the bike since sept. and all the steep stuff here was closed by then. So, down the road I could see wanting that maybe. As of late the only riding to do is driving to Bootleg and the Fontana winter series. Neither of which is really a problem with the stock HA obviously.