Quantcast

A little survey for the racers.....Your input would be very appreciated!

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Hi everyone. I have a hypothetical question for all you racers out there. I know most of you who frequent here are from washington, but since WIM is no more, I figured a question about Oregon racing would probably apply to most of you now.

If a downhill race series was interested in adding an event, for example Super D, would there be an interest? The Super D event would happen during the afternoon of the practice day and be a lemans start so it wouldn't take up too much practice time. Since most Oregon race series don't change the course for every race, and the time the Super D would take from practice would be minimized by the lemans mass start, would any of you be interested in participating. Also, what would you be willing to pay to participate in a Super D?? Would $15-$20 be reasonable. Would it be better to have just a couple or add one to all the DH races in the series?

Just a hypothetical question at this point. I'm just putting this out there to get a feel for if there would be a good enough turnout to quantify the effort and expense.

Also, given the fact that WIM is not putting on races anymore, which oregon races are you all planning on hitting? There are two separate series happening again for 2006, both with at least 5 events, one at Ski Bowl and one at Willamette Pass.

I thank you in advance for any input you all may have.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Personally I would like to try a Super D, just to try it but I don't see it as something I would do at every offering. An additional $15 doesn't sound too unreasonable considering I was paying $40+ for a WIM DH race. As far as which Oregon events - I'll probably do 1 or 2 at Ski Bowl, but not the whole series.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I think I would be interested in doing Super D. I already race DH on a 6" travel bike so I could also use it for Super D.

We are going to hit some of the Skibowl races(2-3) and are going to do at least one at Willamette. I have heard great things about it, but It's just so far from Seattle.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
I would try super D also. Like Five said, probably not every time. It could be its own class and be more $$, but if im already paid to DH race, there should be a good discount. Could this event also take place after main practice? I know at hood we have been booted off the hill with plenty of light left in the evening.

I plan to try for 2 hood events also. They would be the ones scheduled away from bear Mt, and Mt wa (both BC cups).

It would be really cool to do a Timberline to Govy race too. That would be real super D... Logistically it could be hard to get everyone up there.... but it would be fun.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Super D would be pretty cool, I'd sign up.
At Ski Bowl it could start at the top and take the scenic fire road around the back, across the bowl, then take the sport or beginner DH course to the finish. Dust and visibibility might be tough.

I'd really like to see mountaincross / dual slalom come back. I raced the last couple that Ski Bowl had a few years ago, then it disappeared. I think Petre thought no one wanted to race, but he made it very difficult to even sign up. Not to mention the course not getting any work done on it.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
oly said:
It would be really cool to do a Timberline to Govy race too. That would be real super D... Logistically it could be hard to get everyone up there.... but it would be fun.
That would be fun, but someone might die, or at least break a leg. It's so straight, if someone had balls, they could just hold on and let it rip. We already know how dusty it can get there. Glade to Pioneer Bridle / Crosstown would be a cool race. Long and no bike would have an advantage. XC bikes would suck on Glade, but fly up the two uphills.
DH bikes would kill it on the Glade. Probably a light, slack, good pedalling 6" bike would be best.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Thanks for the input so far. I don't want to start rumors or get anyone's hopes up that this will for sure happen. The questions was posed to me and I am simply doing some "market research." So, I guess I should let people know that this idea is regarding the willamette pass series. I don't want Petr's phone ringing off the hook because of this!!

Again, this isn't a for sure thing. Randy did a Super D in conjunction with the XC state champs last season and had said people really enjoyed themselves. We started talking about how the DH crowd would take to the idea. If there's enough interest, he may consider throwing a couple on the schedule. I'm especially interested in the idea as I'm restricted to super d and distance DH events, and would like to get back into helping with race promotion to kinda make up for the no DH racing thing.

I know Willamette is pretty far away for the Washington people, but I figured a few of you may venture down this way next season.

My thoughts on the cost are this. If you are only racing Super D, I would think $20-$25 would be more than fair. If you are also racing DH, I would think one adjusted price for both would seem fair, as you are already using the lift for DH that day.

Again, thank you for the input. I would appreciate all the ideas or thoughts you have to give.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Fast&Smooth said:
what the duce is super D
Super D is a "gravity assisted XC race." Can be anywhere between 15-45 minutes long. Mostly gradual downhill with a couple small climbs thrown in. Most people run a trail bike, but I know many people who have done them on full DH bikes.

Mut

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
Renton, WA
That would intice me to make the trip from Seattle. 6hrs is a long drive, and that's with good traffic. But, I did the finals last year, and it's a really fun race. The course's are really fun and you can't ask for a better venue. Willimate pass is one of the neatest places I've ever been. So if you havn't been, you should go.

Mut

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
Renton, WA
TWISTED said:
I'd really like to see mountaincross / dual slalom come back. I raced the last couple that Ski Bowl had a few years ago, then it disappeared.
It would be sweet to see dual slalom make a comeback. The slalom races at hood is where it started for me back in the day when DY never lost a race in slalom! except maybe once.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
SuperSlow said:
id be interested in racing super d, but mtx/slalom would be mroe fun, and ALOT more spectator friendly.
The problem with dual and mtx in Oregon is it has tanked every time someone tried to add it to a series. It costs more money because equipment is required, and the lifted areas are less willing to let someone tear up their hill. It may be something to think of for the future (let promotors know you want it!!), but it's not happening this year. Super D is cheap to put on and goes quickly. It's also really gaining momentum world wide because of the new popularity of mega avalanche and distance DH.

So would being able to race two different events in one weekend make the drive from washington to willamette more enticing??

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
DH Diva said:
The problem with dual and mtx in Oregon is it has tanked every time someone tried to add it to a series. It costs more money because equipment is required, and the lifted areas are less willing to let someone tear up their hill. It may be something to think of for the future (let promotors know you want it!!), but it's not happening this year. Super D is cheap to put on and goes quickly. It's also really gaining momentum world wide because of the new popularity of mega avalanche and distance DH.

So would being able to race two different events in one weekend make the drive from washington to willamette more enticing??
I raced the last two Ski Bowl DS races, I think it was 2001. There wasn't any kind of sign up sheet. The registration for DH had a hand written "dual slalom" on the right border with a place to put an X. And race promotion was non-existant.
How many companies even made those kinds of bikes back then?

We've been getting thirty plus mtb's at the indoor BMX track on a weekly basis. I'm sure every one of them would be interested in taking it to the mountain.

Sorry for the thread derail. Yes, super D would be cool.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
TWISTED said:
I raced the last two Ski Bowl DS races, I think it was 2001. There wasn't any kind of sign up sheet. The registration for DH had a hand written "dual slalom" on the right border with a place to put an X. And race promotion was non-existant.
How many companies even made those kinds of bikes back then?

We've been getting thirty plus mtb's at the indoor BMX track on a weekly basis. I'm sure every one of them would be interested in taking it to the mountain.

Sorry for the thread derail. Yes, super D would be cool.
Well, there were a number of things that I'm not going to get into now that led to the demise of slalom racing at Ski Bowl.

Either way, unless people show an interest in attending, DS or MTX won't come back. It seems ridiculous, but towards the end, even when Petr would advertise a DS only 5-10 people would sign up and want to race.

If you all want a slalom series to happen again, give the promotors your feedback. I know Randy isn't planning on having one, and Petr didn't put any on his schedule, but it's definetely worth trying for '07.

Mut

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
Renton, WA
DH Diva said:
Well, there were a number of things that I'm not going to get into now that led to the demise of slalom racing at Ski Bowl.

Either way, unless people show an interest in attending, DS or MTX won't come back. It seems ridiculous, but towards the end, even when Petr would advertise a DS only 5-10 people would sign up and want to race.

If you all want a slalom series to happen again, give the promotors your feedback. I know Randy isn't planning on having one, and Petr didn't put any on his schedule, but it's definetely worth trying for '07.
I think one of the main reasons why turn outs were so low, is cause the DH races at hood were on Saturday's, and the slalom was Saturday night. Who wants to race slalom after a full day of dh practice and race runs? Now that the dh races are on Sunday people wouldn't be so burned from a full day of riding.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Some more info coming from the Willamette Series. There are only three races on the schedule. But, Red Bull has donated all the wood and stunts from the Chutes and Ladders comp to Randy and Willamette Pass. They will be using this to build a stunt park at the lodge at willamette pass. There will be a build party to put togther a stunt park, not quite sure when yet. Not sure yet wether or not there will be any stunt comps the result from all of this, but its nice to see a ski resort interested in it's Summer patrons.

elRey

Turbo Monkey
i went to almost all the obra dh races and would totally do a super d race iif it was available. i know all my friends would too. i think its a great idea and have wanted to try it for a while now. hope it happens!! cant wait for the stunt park!!!!!!!!!!!:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :p

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
TWISTED said:
My last message remains unanswered. Re-read it.
I think the real answer to racing mountain bikes at Mt Hood is to contact Timberline or Meadows about setting something up instead of relying on some off-season has-been ski guy who has absolutely no clue or interest about mountain bikes.
Who had the brilliant idea to switch sanctioning bodies half way through the season?
First of all, this thread isn't about Hood. Nor did I intend on it becoming a Willamette vs. Hood, Randy vs. Petr thread. I am friends with both promotors, and have been a long time supporter of both series. So I ABSOLUTELY AM NOT going to get into the whole crap talking Oregon racing drama BS.

Right now I know nothing about what Petr is planning on doing because I haven't talked to him. Nor do I know what went on last season, other than rumors and second hand accounts, because I didn't race. I happened to talk to Randy the other day, asking him if he was going to do another super d (he did one at the XC state race) this coming season. He asked my opinion on adding super d the DH series and how I thought it would be recieved. And here we are. This has nothing to do with Hood vs. Willamette. I am simply gathering opinions about this particular subject, for admittedly selfish reasons I might add as I can't race DH but can race Super D. That is why I'm taking an interest in getting a super d series started.

And to answer your question, timberline and meadows don't need the tiny amount of income hosting a dh series would bring them givin summer is one of their busiest times of year because they seem to have the market cornered on snowboard and ski camps.

Before you dis Petr, maybe you should get to know him a little better. Because if you did know him you would realize that he does indeed love mountain biking. And he loves giving people the opportunity to compete. He is also a really nice guy if you just stop and talk to him. He's doing the best he can with the resources he has. And as for being washed up, did you know he still competes in the Arcticman race every year, and still doesn't ever place out of the top three?

I really don't mean to grill anybody here. I've been racing both Randy and Petr's series since 1997 and I'm tired of the drama that always seems to be festering here in Oregon regarding racing. I'm sorry if this comes off cranky, but I was just asking a simple question and had NO intention of this turning into a b*tch session.

I hope theres no hard feelings.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
DH Diva said:
Before you dis Petr, maybe you should get to know him a little better. Because if you did know him you would realize that he does indeed love mountain biking. And he loves giving people the opportunity to compete. He is also a really nice guy if you just stop and talk to him. He's doing the best he can with the resources he has. And as for being washed up, did you know he still competes in the Arcticman race every year, and still doesn't ever place out of the top three?
Thanks for saying that DH Diva. I totally agree with you. I have known Petr for only 4 years but, Kevin has been racing down there forever and Petr has always been first rate to us. Last year he really listened to the racers and changed the DH race day to Sunday, which rocked!

Plus, I have never been to an event that offers free GOOD beer to the racers afterwards:cool:

Mut

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
Renton, WA
Snacks said:
Thanks for saying that DH Diva. I totally agree with you. I have known Petr for only 4 years but, Kevin has been racing down there forever and Petr has always been first rate to us. Last year he really listened to the racers and changed the DH race day to Sunday, which rocked!

Plus, I have never been to an event that offers free GOOD beer to the racers afterwards:cool:
I'm with you, free beer will win anyone over in my book! Did you know he has one of the longest going series that I've heard of. Ski bowl had one of the first NORBA nationals back in I think 1989! I was only 9 yrs old! That makes Petr really old! Anyways off the subject a little. Super D at Willimate! can't wait