Quantcast

A little vintage rally goodness for your friday viewing pleasure......

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Oh youtube, how I love thee! Here's a little preview of the inspiration for a little project we're working on right now. It's called group b rally cross. It was a class in european rally cross racing that ran from the early 80's, until the late 80's when it was banned because it was deemed too dangerous. Group B was an unlimited engine displacement/weight class. A lot of this footage is really old, and filled with bad euro dance music, but the driving is incredible.

So, how is this at all relevant to a project I'm working on you ask? We're building a vintage rally cross car! I'll post some pics when she's ready for the road. We still need to pick up some 5 point harnesses, and finish the paint, an a couple little mechanical things. I can't wait to practice pendulum turns!!!

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Cool stuff for sure! Thanks for sharing. Now, how about some pictures of your project?
The paint should be done this weekend, so good things come to those who wait. I'll get some up on Monday. No pics until the racing strips are done. Rally cars must have racing strips, it's a requirement.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
BRRRRRRRRRRWRWRWRWRWWRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

Group B cars were fvcking mean, Those engines are growling!

I love the slow-mo jump with exhaust flash in the first clip.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I don't know who is crazier, the drivers or the spectators.
Euro's love their rally cross. Spectators 20 deep in spot, on the course, grabbing their hair with anxiety. They might be crazy, but at least their idea of spectating doesn't involve a lazy boy and a bag of doritos.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
DH Diva, have you seen "too fast to race"? it's brilliant, all about the Group B era.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
DH Diva, have you seen "too fast to race"? it's brilliant, all about the Group B era.
No I haven't, but a friend of mine just got it so I'm definitely borrowing it! I've heard group b cars were as fast if not faster than modern WRC cars, which is impressive given that was 20 years ago now.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
No I haven't, but a friend of mine just got it so I'm definitely borrowing it! I've heard group b cars were as fast if not faster than modern WRC cars, which is impressive given that was 20 years ago now.
There is another youtube short called "killer bees" kinda cool/funny
Another sorta related ish video "climb dance" about Pikes Peak. Check it:spam:

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I love Rally.

I hope this guy posts the 2008 race coverage. He only had 4 of the rallies from last year. He had the entire 2006 season. 2007 WRC rally videos
Mmmm. New rally. I'm going to have to watch the vids on his site. Here's a little tribute video to one of the coolest rally drivers ever, Colin Mcrae. Again, not the best music choice, but great driving footage!!

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
the only car you will ever need...

lancia stratos

if I am not mistaken, lancia held the record for wins in rally racing.

sweet stuff

thanks for the links!

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I don't know who is crazier, the drivers or the spectators.
Hey neanderthal,have you seen the video footage of that pan american race back in the 40's/50's that Walt has where the "poor" Mexican spectators get clobbered as they mis-judge how fast the cars were aproaching?
:disgust1::rofl:

Mr.Mike

Chimp
Mar 22, 2007
Lancia Statos, Lacia Delta Integrale, Audio Coupe Quattro SWB, what ever the Peugot modee is (you know the Le car).....All my old school euro dream cars.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
This video has remotivated me to get an old 5cyl Audi Quattro winter beater car (coupe, 80, 90, 4000, don't care...) with monster snow tires.

Just gotta rid myself of ye olde P-car.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Cool videos. I always liked these:

that is basically a Fiat if I am not mistaken! a saweeet car none the less but I believe that is when Fiat was in control of Lancia and the cars were not as revolutionary as when they were still owned by Lancia.

bohorec

Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Thanks for the links, we used to watch this stuff in the past. The superior driving skills and comitment of spectators are astonishing. I've made a little search and managed to found the vid which shows that spectators were basically part of the race (jump from 1.50).

Anyone else noticed the lack of overweight people in footages from that time ? :D

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
i've gotten back into rally racing some but only on my pc...as i can't afford or have time for the real thing!! Richard Burns rally here i come!!(best rally sim)