Quantcast

a little work on the front of my House

splat

Nam I am
well these 2 windows are about 35 -40 years old, and rotting , so It was time for them to go. But my wife and I have never really liked the placement of those 2 windows. that is my living room and my Dining room, and as strange as it may seam but really could not see our own front yard from inside the house.

Fun with a sawzall

New Windows !

Now we have to paint the house, and the dry wall work and molding inside the house still needs to be done , but already it is soo different we love it!

J

JRB

Nice. I want to put new facia boards on the house, but alas, it's been too long since I did any work. That, combined with the fact that the drunks in the 60s that built this place, didn't know what a framing square was. The bathroom window is 2 inches from the corner at the top and 3 1/2 inches at the bottom. :(

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
right on Splatman! looks good. I do commercial and residential entry doors, & residential windows in addition to general contracting during my summers off.

I agree that the original window placement was rediculous.

nice job!

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
splat said:
2 -2x6's nailed together

I'd like to say I did the work. But the man who lives next to me is a GC so we hired him to do the work. this is a little beyond my ability
It helps that it's not a load bearing wall. It looks much better now. I bet the inside is going to be great.

Mike

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I approve (but I can't). It looks a great deal nicer with the windows in. Good call. Plus, any job that involves a sawzall is a bonus.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
splat said:
I don't know why those 60's archetiects loved corner windows, something about Frank Llyod Wright doing it or maybe they were just smoking too much dope.
the thing that is funny is on most of Wright's designs with corner windows, there wasn't a corner! the window had no corner structure. the loads on Falling Water, were cantilevered over the windows so they didn't need structure to bear loads. but on all of the stinkin copies of his designs as you said they still stuck windows in the corners but butted up to a corner. How are you supposed to put up drapes or anything like that with the window directly in the corner?

anyway, again looks great!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Thx for the framing pix.

I love seeing framing... its a lot of thought and detail that no one else gets to see or appreciate.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
N8 said:
Thx for the framing pix.

I love seeing framing... its a lot of thought and detail that no one else gets to see or appreciate.
Framing is a little seen art for sure, my parents just added 1100 sqft and the guys doing the framing were fanatical about everything being square and level, then came time to start joining things to the existing structure, not a straight and square 2x4 in sight. It was really cool seing the progress, as I was only there every 3-4 weeks, it sort of hapened in chunks, the progression was cool to see.