Quantcast

A look inside Cane Creek...

RSutton1223

Chimp
Aug 22, 2007
I had the chance to take the 5 dollar tour at Cane Creek over the weekend during my vacation to Pisgah Forest, NC. Malcolm showed me around the CCDB assembly and QC process. Pretty cool stuff!

I got also got to photograph (first time anyone has) the new Ohlins shocks that CC is now building for Ohlins.

You can find more pictures on my site:
Cane Creek Cycling Components - A Look Inside

RSutton1223

Chimp
Aug 22, 2007
Revisions are coming to the CCDB. There is a really cool new compound that they are going to use for the bottom out bumper that compresses to 2mm and comes back to normal. Crazy...

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
what are the Ohlins shocks that they are making used for?
THEY ARE USED TO PROP UP YO' MAMMA'S BUTT!!

I'm just kidding. I dunno anything about your moms butt. I just had a bit too much sugar, you know how it is.

Any chance Cane Creek is thinking about doing fork internals?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
does cane creek actually manufacture their wares there (in the US) or just assemble them from chinese-made components?

honest question: i don't know the answer.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
does cane creek actually manufacture their wares there (in the US) or just assemble them from chinese-made components?

honest question: i don't know the answer.
i believe some of thier products are made in taiwan by the same company that makes FSA but the higher end stuff is done in house in the US

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
i bet those ohlins units are gonna be realy realy expensive,those 2 shocks looks the same on the cosmetic side i think.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
The FSAE team here at Clemson got busted a few years ago by Fox for using their shocks (I forget what the actual reason was). I turned one of their guys onto the Double Barrel and CC hooked them up with four shocks and all kinds of tech help. Great Company.

ridingsupreme

Monkey
May 12, 2008
Santa Cluas lane
dude whoever said that shock dyno was ghetto... looks legit to me and last I heard those things are 7k+!!!! if it works it works right?

does the "sultan" shock get its name from the super fly gold ano or is it "special" on the inside as well.. actually i take it back. I supposed all CCDB shocks are "special." what I mean is it "super pro special." lol :monkeydance:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
does the "sultan" shock get its name from the super fly gold ano or is it "special" on the inside as well.. actually i take it back. I supposed all CCDB shocks are "special." what I mean is it "super pro special." lol :monkeydance:
Sultan is a 29er FS Turner frame.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
The FSAE team here at Clemson got busted a few years ago by Fox for using their shocks (I forget what the actual reason was). I turned one of their guys onto the Double Barrel and CC hooked them up with four shocks and all kinds of tech help. Great Company.
That doesn't sound right. Our team used Fox shocks for years with full blessing and a great deal on pricing from Fox. Granted this was a decade ago, but I don't see why Fox would change their policy...

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
That doesn't sound right. Our team used Fox shocks for years with full blessing and a great deal on pricing from Fox. Granted this was a decade ago, but I don't see why Fox would change their policy...
I think Fox was disapproving because the team was cracking open the shocks and doing their own personal mods. I know Fox actually requested that the team remove their logo from all the shocks on the car (i.e take the stickers off the reservoir)

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I think Fox was disapproving because the team was cracking open the shocks and doing their own personal mods. I know Fox actually requested that the team remove their logo from all the shocks on the car (i.e take the stickers off the reservoir)
Nah, we used to open ours up and revalve them also... maybe they were cool with it because we were just reshimming. Was your team doing more than that?

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Nah, we used to open ours up and revalve them also... maybe they were cool with it because we were just reshimming. Was your team doing more than that?
I don't know exactly what they were doing but I know it was more than just reshimming. I vaguely remember Fox also saying something about liability because the DHXs were being used for something other than their intended purpose.