Quantcast

a look into our little hurricane.

Fast&Smooth

Monkey
Jun 24, 2002
Bothell, WA
Anyways, as most of you probably know, thursday night was quite the ride for the puget sound. Not so much the downtown area, which is usually pretty babied weather wise, but everything to the east, north, and south got F'd in the A Out of 1.1 million customers on puget sound energy, 1 million were out the 1st night/day. It's sunday now, and still there are over 400,000 without power. Clean up and power crews are being brought in from as far as Kansas. Shelters have been set up around the area for families freezing in their homes. Last night reached 25 degrees and by now it's as cold inside as it as outside for many. Lines at open gas stations had 3 hour waits until most simply ran out of gas.

I left downtown yesterday to take a look at my old neighborhood in the Bothell, Kenmore, Kirkland area.

This is what I saw.

Leaves and pine needles cover the roads.

Ice is the least of our worries now.

Traffic light bent up sideways.

Trees being held up by power lines, people still driving under. Crews still hadn't reached the area to block off roads here.

Right in front of my old high school. Yes school was cancelled friday.

Even the power company guys were so amazed they snapped some photos for themselves. When asked how long it would take to clean up the neighborhood, they said up to two weeks. Christmas in the dark?

Neighbors cut up fallen trees, but it doesn't do much good. Profanities included.

Power poles down all over. Poor honey bucket.

"Uninterruptible power supply" kind of ironic.

More downed lines.

This tree fell in two directions at the same time, that was new to me.

Snapped right off.

Many boats washed on shore. Watching the news, it looked like many local marinas were hit hard, some people couldn't even find their boats.

The sun sets on a flooded park. Smoke from fires shadows the colors on an otherwise clear day.

Crews work in pitch black all day and all night.

So hopefully this gets cleaned up in time for Christmas festivities. Lots of people are really getting on edge. Must...have...Starbucks...

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
oh man...radical pictures, I must say...

that sucks all that happend though, I though my area had it bad with 2 hour late start for my school, and several random downed trees and branches. Sadly my local ride spot got hit pretty hard though, I went up friday and it took my 40minutes of what normally takes me 10minutes because of all the trees the fell.

Thanks for the pics though...

Liquid10

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Bellingham, WA
I think the Seattle area got the worst of it. I've been staying down there for the last week or so, was there the night of the windstorm. Trees down everywhere, power out, general carnage. However, I drove up to bellingham last night, and it looked pretty good (compared to Seattle). Many people in Bellingham didn't even lose power. I went riding in BC (Vedder) today and no trees were down, locals tell me they really didn't have that much wind. I have to return to seattle for the next couple of weeks. If I do any riding on those trails near I-90 that don't exist i'll bring a chainsaw.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Yeah, got a pretty good taste of that today riding St. Eds. Man, downed trees everywhere. We tried to clear some of the stuff on the trails, but there were a lot of trees that need a chainsaw to clear due to the size. The downed powere lines had me a little weary too.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Suxxor. Im in the Tokyo airport returning to a home without power. My wife has had to camp out at her moms house with the 2 kids. What a wild week for the area.

They better get the power on soon.... or else i might just have to go to work instead of taking the week off.

-d

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Yah if i had time i could have taken pictures of 20 spots around walking distance from my g-ma's house of downed trees and various destruction. But i only stopped to get a few pics of the tree that landed on her house.

It was pretty gnarl i was in the basement at the time and it shook the house of course. Before the fire department came and cleared the path you couldn't even walk out of the front door steps. i opened up the door with the howling wind, my grandma was asking what it looked like, i told her she didn't want to know. Needless to say i had to stay up for hours talking with her to keep her from freaking out.

This storm really sucked....

Anyways fast forward to today, my uncle, cousins husband and i got both trees off the roof. i patched up the holes in the roof with a few shingles and a tarp. She's got insurance so they will fix it up later, but we got it buttoned up for now. The base of the tree is going to be hauled out to Collonade and we're going to make some log rides out of it....