Quantcast

A Lower Sram Style Mount, 3D Print?

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I'm looking for a Sram style shifter/dropper lever mount that extends lower to get the lever lower and farther back. I'm currently using one from a Fox Transfer since it is 2+mm lower than Sram, but I want lower.
Have any of you seen one?
Anyone want to make one on their 3d printer?
Is there a place online where you can request something like that 3d printed?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'd question the durability of a fully 3-D printed mount. I don't have a SRAM mount but if they are anything like mine you just need a 2mm spacer, which could be printed or easily made from AL, HDPE or even hardwood and 'machined' on a table saw and drilled by hand.

If you can sketch up what you want I can print you some spacers, or even better a bunch of different sized spacers. Lead time would be slow and lazy.

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I'd question the durability of a fully 3-D printed mount. I don't have a SRAM mount but if they are anything like mine you just need a 2mm spacer, which could be printed or easily made from AL, HDPE or even hardwood and 'machined' on a table saw and drilled by hand.

If you can sketch up what you want I can print you some spacers, or even better a bunch of different sized spacers. Lead time would be slow and lazy.
TL;DR:

MOAR SHIMZ

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Would spacing out one of these..

1663153095216.png
and using a longer bolt not be easier?

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Maybe one of these? Seems to be widely out of stock at the moment, but it might do the trick.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Would spacing out one of these..

View attachment 181903
and using a longer bolt not be easier?
That's what I tried at first but the lever rotates once it's spaced up from those edges. I guess the easiest thing is to make a spacer that sits in that pocket and also has a pocket to prevent the lever from rotating. I can try to dremel one out of aluminum but having one 3d printed would be sweet.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Maybe one of these? Seems to be widely out of stock at the moment, but it might do the trick.
That does look like it would place the lever lower than the normal Sram mount. I just ordered one so we'll see.
This is because the shock/seatpost lever on my new Scott Spark Ultimate doesn't clear the Piccola brake lever enough to position them both where I want.

Last edited:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
I see what is the root cause...

#CableRatsNest
Bah. I removed the fork cable so it's 2 from the left, 2 from the right. Not so bad. It came with AXS but I added 2 cables because a OneUp post and 11spd are lighter. You'll be happy to know that the cables are routed through the stem and headset so it's neater looking than previous years and this system has no potential for setup difficulties or future headset problems. It only took like 4 hours to run the cables and BuckoW assures me that the bearing will last forever or he will personally come change it. I bet you can't wait for your next bike with "stealth" cabling!

*I did seal around the cables with silicone as I've heard horror stories about water running down the cables and killing the bearing in weeks.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Bah. I removed the fork cable so it's 2 from the left, 2 from the right. Not so bad. It came with AXS but I added 2 cables because a OneUp post and 11spd are lighter. You'll be happy to know that the cables are routed through the stem and headset so it's neater looking than previous years and this system has no potential for setup difficulties or future headset problems. It only took like 4 hours to run the cables and BuckoW assures me that the bearing will last forever or he will personally come change it. I bet you can't wait for your next bike with "stealth" cabling!

*I did seal around the cables with silicone as I've heard horror stories about water running down the cables and killing the bearing in weeks.
Good idea with the silicone. I've tried to cover up the holes with gorilla tape, but it doesn't really work too well.

So you said you replaced the AXS parts with cable parts?

I'd take the simplicity of AXS over cables and eat it on the weight any day. This comment mainly comes from an ebike maintenance perspective where a "quick" cable housing change turns into a 2 hour job requiring a removal of the motor, cranks, and all that...As for a regular bike, I can see your point on keeping things light. But man. AXS on shifting is so fast! Love it. Even if it is sram :)

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Good idea with the silicone. I've tried to cover up the holes with gorilla tape, but it doesn't really work too well.

So you said you replaced the AXS parts with cable parts?

I'd take the simplicity of AXS over cables and eat it on the weight any day. This comment mainly comes from an ebike maintenance perspective where a "quick" cable housing change turns into a 2 hour job requiring a removal of the motor, cranks, and all that...As for a regular bike, I can see your point on keeping things light. But man. AXS on shifting is so fast! Love it. Even if it is sram :)
I prefer the gearing, shifting, and short cage of XX1 11spd. The weight helps too cuz I was determined to get the bike under 24lbs. It's a rocket up and down.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I don't disagree....So basically you're saying ditch all the R&D, Engineerding and Production costs for internal cable routing, and just keep it all external? Hmmm....Are you listening Industry? :)

Seems like a candidate for "This is what's wrong with the industry"

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
I actually like the internal shock placement on this bike, assuming it didn't add weight. I don't like the cabling. The stem/headset looks bulky and doesn't match the rest of the frame. The cable routing on the previous gen Scott bikes was great and didn't need changing.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
That's what I tried at first but the lever rotates once it's spaced up from those edges. I guess the easiest thing is to make a spacer that sits in that pocket and also has a pocket to prevent the lever from rotating. I can try to dremel one out of aluminum but having one 3d printed would be sweet.
Yeah. That's what I meant

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Yes, very fancy. At my shop we can't figure out how Scott comes up with the MSRP of $13,999, even if you add up the MSRP of the individual parts. It's like they tack on a $2-3k idiot tax for anyone who wants the best stuff without building it up themselves. It is the only way to get the lightest version of this frame though.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Yes, very fancy. At my shop we can't figure out how Scott comes up with the MSRP of $13,999, even if you add up the MSRP of the individual parts. It's like they tack on a $2-3k idiot tax for anyone who wants the best stuff without building it up themselves. It is the only way to get the lightest version of this frame though.
Different currency and the previous version of the bike, but I saw one here for sale at a bike shop for $17000.

Like...WUT:panic:

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Jeez, that's even worse than Specialized. A couple years ago when I was new bike shopping, I priced out the S-Works Enduro both if I bought it complete, or retail with literally exactly the same parts at full retail price, and the complete build was $1,000 more.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
My theory is that they have to pay their bike assemblers a crazy high salary because nobody wants to deal with all the internal cables, adding up to the additional costs. ;)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My theory is that they have to pay their bike assemblers a crazy high salary because nobody wants to deal with all the internal cables, adding up to the additional costs. ;)
And the Shock-In-A-Box.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
And the Shock-In-A-Box.
I actually like that feature! I expected to hate it, and I have to wonder if it added weight. However, the frame is under 1900g so still the lightest 120mm frame. The air valve and rebound are easy to access. It's easy to check sag and travel used. It's was easy to fully remove and reinstall the shock and its remote cable when I got curious. I don't expect heat to be a problem on a 120mm bike and I do expect the air can seals and pivots to go much longer between servicing. So, stem routed cables: not really worth it. Shock-in-a-box: pretty cool.

P.S. The AXS mount moved the lever considerably lower and worked perfectly for me. It should come stock on these bikes and I recommend it to any of you who want to lower a lever that uses a Sram style mount.

Last edited: