A Major Ford Motor Co. Recall

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
..Fords... :p

Faulty Cruise Controls Lead to Major Recall
New York -WABC, January 27, 2005

The Ford Motor Company is about to announce a major recall of over 792,000 Ford vehicles. The problem: fires caused by faulty cruise control systems.

The entire 2000 model year of the Navigator, Expedition and F150 truck will be recalled along with a limited number of 2001 F150 Super Cabs.

The federal government is reportedly investigating the problem, after examining 39 incidents. In some of the cases, garages and even a house have burned down.

There are no reports of fatalities or injuries.

Investigators are not sure if other model year vehicles might have the same problem.

In 1999 Ford had to recall many Lincolns and Crown Victorias because of the same problem.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Doesn't Dodge have a recall like this every other month? The last one was Durangos and Dakotas because the front wheels could fall off.

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
Ridemonkey said:
Doesn't Dodge have a recall like this every other month? The last one was Durangos and Dakotas because the front wheels could fall off.
My co-workers Saturn Vue had one. It came out when he was on a road trip to Colorado. When he got back we asked him if his wheels fell off. Of course he gave us the finger.

T-Dog

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
different shack, same shotgun
Well I happen to have a 2000 F-150 and love that truck.....never any problem of any kind, (many miles of pulling horse trailers, tent trailers etc.) I'm sure they'll fix it....39 cases out of millions of rigs isn't that signifigant to me.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Ridemonkey said:
The durrangos have had an unusually high number of recalls - so high that a couple of the local USED car dealers won't take durangos in on trades... they say it's too much of a PITA to deal with all the recalls and actually get a used durango sold.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
jacksonpt said:
The durrangos have had an unusually high number of recalls - so high that a couple of the local USED car dealers won't take durangos in on trades... they say it's too much of a PITA to deal with all the recalls and actually get a used durango sold.
But hey its gotta a Hemi in it??

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
T-Dog said:
Well I happen to have a 2000 F-150 and love that truck.....never any problem of any kind, (many miles of pulling horse trailers, tent trailers etc.) I'm sure they'll fix it....39 cases out of millions of rigs isn't that signifigant to me.
Good on ye.

I just expect my cars to last for 250,000 miles with minimal problems.......

Besides, yours is practically brand new. ;)

-S.S.-

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Meh my Found On Road Dead exploder is holding up fine. Very few repairs and its 10 years old in may with 90k miles on it (mom drove it around town till last year when they gave me it).

T-Dog

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
different shack, same shotgun
SkaredShtles said:
Good on ye.

-S.S.-
250K/ minimal problems? Better go asian for that.

Worst problem I've had was carpet cleaning after ghostrider slowly emptied (by resting his foot on it) a full camelbak of gatorade on the front floor.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
SkaredShtles said:
Good on ye.

-S.S.-
Do you consider replacing your subaru engine a "minimal problem"?

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
my mom's town and country had a super long list of recalls. alot of which involved things like "fuel lines bursting into flames", "leaking gas tanks" "catastrophic failure of seals," ect...

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
dan-o said:
Do you consider replacing your subaru engine a "minimal problem"?
My Subaru transmission had to be replaced after 8,000 miles and five trips to the dealer. No manufacturer is completely free of defects. The car has been great ever since.

BigHit-Maniac

Monkey
Jul 5, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
mobius said:
Meh my Found On Road Dead exploder is holding up fine. Very few repairs and its 10 years old in may with 90k miles on it (mom drove it around town till last year when they gave me it).

:thumb:

My 95' Thunderbird LX has a smidge over 163,000 miles on it, and it runs like a champ. The lady that owned it before me had the tranny swapped out, and I did the minor work that it needed when I bought it. It needed a fuel pump, fuel filter, PCV hoses, MAF sensor cleaning, and brake pads. I bought the car knowing these problems, and fixed them all myself for a little under $400. While I was on it, I threw on a nice-sounding cat-back exhaust with dual Flow's, and she sounds GOOD.

Now I just need some 18"x9.5" Cobra R's with Pirelli P-Zero's. :love:

All Ford's aren't that bad.

Dodge's are THE worst for recalls & defective parts, for sure. We've had our Plymouth Grand Voyager in for like 6 recalls, and one was the damned transmission! (my parents van, I don't own it).

I must say, for only paying ~$2400 for my car, I'm very pleased with it. Mechanically speaking, it's SOUND.

-Matt

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I Are Baboon said:
My Subaru transmission had to be replaced after 8,000 miles and five trips to the dealer. No manufacturer is completely free of defects. The car has been great ever since.
The best I've heard was my friends Toerag had 100 miles on it some electronic wire in the transmission broke trashed the transmission and drive train. Since its a new model no one had a transmission or drive train parts to fix it. A month later.....

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I Are Baboon said:
I wasn't bashing Subarus, had several myself with generally good results. I was just curious about SS's idea of minimal. Personally, I don't expect vehicles to be problem free and every brand I've owned (US, asian and euro) have had issues.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
mobius said:
haha i had to think about the first part of your sentance. i thought you really stole it off the side of the road. hey they left it there....

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
dan-o said:
<snip>I was just curious about SS's idea of minimal.
I'd say if it's got 100k+ miles and you only take it to the shop a couple times a year, you're doing well! :thumb:

My Subaru had: engine, rear wheel bearing, and a starter in the 75k miles I owned it (~125k-200k)

I don't count the brakes or the tires, since they're wear items.

-S.S.-

A giant corrugated METAL DOOR opens.

JACK (V.O.)
On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

Two TECHNICIANS lead Jack to the BURNT-OUT SHELL of a WRECKED AUTOMOBILE. Jack sets down his briefcase, opens it and starts to make notes on a CLIP BOARDED FORM.

JACK (V.O.)
I'm a recall coordinator. My job is to apply the formula. It's a story problem.

TECHNICIAN #1
Here's where the infant went through the windshield. Three points.

JACK (V.O.)
A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 miles per hour. The rear differential locks up.

TECHNICIAN #2
The teenager's braces around the backseat ashtray would make a good "anti-smoking" ad.

JACK (V.O.)
The car crushes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now: do we initiate a recall?

TECHNICIAN #1
The father's must've been huge. See how the fat burnt into the driver's seat with the polyester shirt? Very "modern art".

JACK (V.O.)
Take the number of vehicles in the field (A), multiply it by the probable rate of failure (B), then multiply the result by the average out-of-court settlement (C). A times B times C equals X...

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
T-Dog said:
Well sure their trucks are ok. That's what they need to focus on since the cars are all peices of shyt. Either way go try to trade it in and you'll owe thou$ands more than it's worth(unless you paid cash which most ford owners don't)