Quantcast

A Mild Habanero: An Oxymoron or worse?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
What the frack??? A 'mild habanero' is an oxymoron right up there with 'military intelligence' and 'giant shrimps'... :p

New pepper hot with mild crowd
The New York Times | 29 Nov | Ralph Blumenthal

WESLACO, Texas - It's a burning issue for some hot-pepper lovers: Whatever possessed Dr. Kevin M. Crosby to create the mild habanero?

For Crosby, a plant geneticist at the Texas A&M Agricultural Experiment Station near the Mexican border, the answer is simple: "I'm not going to take away the regular habanero. You can still grow and eat that, if you want to kill yourself."

But for those who prize the fieriest domesticated Capsicum for its taste and health-boosting qualities, Crosby and the research station in the Rio Grande Valley have developed and patented the TAM Mild Habanero, with less than half the bite of the familiar jalapeno, which A&M scientists also previously produced in a milder version.

With worldwide pepper consumption on the rise, according to industry experts, the new variety - a heart-shaped nugget bred in benign golden yellow to distinguish it from the alarming orange original, the common Yucatan habanero - is beginning to reach store shelves, to the delight of processors and the research station, which stands to earn unspecified royalties if the new pepper catches on.

"I love it," said Josh Ruiz, a local farmer whose pickers last week filled some 200 boxes of the peppers to be sold to grocers for about $35 a box. "It yields good, and I'm able to eat it."

As for the Yucatan habanero, he said, "My stomach just can't take it."

In comparison, if a regular jalapeno scores between 5,000 and 10,000 units on the Scoville scale of pepper hotness based on the amount of the chemical capsaicin (cap-SAY-sin), and a regular habanero averages around 300,000 to 400,000 units, A&M's mild version registers a tepid 2,300, or barely one-hundredth of its coolest formidable namesake. A bell pepper, by the way, scores zero.

J

JRB

If you can't eat it, don't. I am alarmed by the stupidity in the south created solely by the hotness of peppers.

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
Me myself, I like it good 'n hot..... But at the same time it would be nice to be able to use the great FLAVOR habs have in dishes that folks of the "soft mouth" variety can enjoy. I try to describe the great taste a hab has to my gf and she only shakes her head and says no way...

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I ate a habanero one time that was so fricking hot that it melted my teeth and gave me hallucinations for a couple hours...

:dead:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
N8 said:
I ate a habanero one time that was so fricking hot that it melted my teeth and gave me hallucinations for a couple hours...

:dead:
Then you had a GOOD hab. :D
I try to explain to my friends who dont eat chiles, that it is more than flavor. It is also about sensation & the release chemicals in your brain.

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
Its the heat in life that makes it worthwhile! I have been eating chiles since I was a tiny little boy sittin on my Pop's lap! The hotter the better.... 'Course the mornin after is always a delight :eek: When I was MUCH younger I always thought that that part of the joy was a phase I would pass through...BUT NO! Its the old twice burnt by the same match syndrome! :) But like I said before,flavor ya get from Habs is so damn tasty! I think of all the peppers out there they are the most flavorable. I've been growin my own for4 years now.... Its the only way to go!