Quantcast

A new bike for me :)

Aug 21, 2009
Right now, I am probably riding one of the worst bikes...its the cannondale jekyll, but it weighs an inane ammount and is now too small for me. I am 5 foor 8 inches plus and I am 15. I have a budget of $1,000 and I am on the mountain bike team at my school. I am getting mad because my bike weighs so much it is hard to do wheelies, I can only ride one for about 5 seconds, my friends that can go for minutes, can't even get it up on my bike...so I was wondering if this bike would be good for me, I am into freeriding and some downhill, I love to ride my bike in the city and I use my parents bike (disc breaks) to do some stunts... all in all I was looking at this...

http://www.downcycles.com/store/2008-mongoose-teocali-comp-p-630.html

can I do what I want on it?

Manifesto

Monkey
Aug 16, 2009
your moms basement
The components on that bike are garbage and will need to be replaced after a few months of hard riding.
With 1000usd you could always get a sweet bike from the Buy/Sell and get WAY more bang for your buck.

chance199

Monkey
May 23, 2009
Port Orchard, WA
try looking on craigslist in your area, it got a Kona Stinky Deluxe for $1100 and in great shape! so just try looking on their and searching by names of a bike that you would want

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
Just as an add, don't get too down on that bike just because you can't wheelie it. If you know how to wheelie right, then you can do it on just about anything (still can't get one on a tandem yet). Don't get me wrong, I hate the Jekyll at least as much as the next person, but don't use a wheelie as an excuse to rush out and get any old bike.

Do you know how to manual? Even beginning to learn to manual helped me in wheelies a lot. Put your seat down and get your butt back. Watch some videos of street riding and get out there. Those gooses from pinkbike do look nice for the price though.

Aug 21, 2009
Just as an add, don't get too down on that bike just because you can't wheelie it. If you know how to wheelie right, then you can do it on just about anything (still can't get one on a tandem yet). Don't get me wrong, I hate the Jekyll at least as much as the next person, but don't use a wheelie as an excuse to rush out and get any old bike.

Do you know how to manual? Even beginning to learn to manual helped me in wheelies a lot. Put your seat down and get your butt back. Watch some videos of street riding and get out there. Those gooses from pinkbike do look nice for the price though.

I like that cannondale, its not just because of that, I get really bad back pains, I grew out of it, it used to be my bros bike, I already outgrew him and hes 20...its too small for me...

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Get Font's Khyber...I have the same model, and it's one of, if not the best all-rounder bike I have ever ridden (including a Nomad, Enduro, and Heckler). In fact, I'm now pissed that I didn't wait around and pick up that Teocali (ended up with a Trance XO instead).