Quantcast

a new dirt jumper complete for <$500

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
my boy wants to get into dirt jumping / trail riding, he's a beginner.

his budget is about 400-500$ for a complete bike.

what are some current nice DJ worthy completes out there nowday?

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
You'll be hard pressed to find a new complete bike in that price range... unless you go BMX, which is a good option. Check the classifieds, you might be able to find something used.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
kidwoo - that does look good.
can u go 550?
i know the value of that bike, i used to have a doc myself, but my boy got limited funds.

mxsport41

Chimp
Apr 12, 2007
You Should try the dk 26 they look good for a starter bike. and the price should be right about your range

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
I think the DK General Lee Cruiser is less, decent start up, just upgrade the wheelset later along with any weak links you'll be fine.

Eatmyfood!

Monkey
Jul 17, 2006
i'll just put this out there:

the setup is good, but the fork is total crap. I rode an 07 p.1 w/ one, and couldn't stand it all at the LBS today.

don't think your boy'll notice a difference if he hasn't had experience with different forks, but I couldn't stand the top out.

If he doesn't notice, than forget to mention it to him.

If not, you can pick up a killer fork for the price: manitou stance static w/ quick release (so it'll fit the front hub of the doc). Can buy it for no more than aorund $260 BRAND NEW.

Also, todd_freeride is selling a used stance static QR for a hundred bucks if you wanna check it out . . .

jeff da grom may not realize this is the super cheapo crap stock specialized part, the Dj 3.5. Look like a dirt jumper, weighs like on too, BUT THE DAMPING SUCKS.

he is mistaking it for the real DJ 3, a perfectly fine fork. More than the stance static new and not as nice, but perfectly fine . . .

jeff da grom

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Long Island
i'll just put this out there:

the setup is good, but the fork is total crap.
jeff da grom may not realize this is the super cheapo crap stock specialized part, the Dj 3.5.

he is mistaking it for the real DJ 3, a perfectly fine fork. More than the stance static new and not as nice, but perfectly fine . . .
you are right... i did mistake it for the dj 3 which comes on my specialized p3... a quick glance and you won't realize it is the 3.5. I didn't look to see if it had a through axle or a quick release. I actually like my "real" dj3 so i recommended it.

Still it isn't a terrible deal though even if you just use the fork till it breaks or change it out in a year after you decide if dirt jumping is for you or not.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
>

26" DK Xenia Dirt Jumper - $395

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: sale-350313323@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-06-12, 6:20AM CDT

06' DK bikes Xenia Dirt Jumper, Cromo frame horzontal dropouts, Dirt jam pro fork, New Race Face Diabolous OS stem 50mm, New Truvativ DH OS riser bars/Animal grips/FSA pig headset, DK 3-piece cranks W/ alloy 36t chainring/16t freewheel, Disc hubs/Sun Rhyno light rims, Avid bb5 rear disc brake, New Coalition seat, New Animal Hamilton pedals, Like new Maxxis tires...
Bikes in great shape and hardly used, just no time to ride...