Quantcast

A new excuse for unemployment

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
I was talkin to one of the grunts at the shop I work in, and he was telling me about how he can barely afford to come to work anymore because of the rising cost of gas. He's only making $6 an hour and said by the time he gets done paying for gas everyweek its more like $3. Think you'll be able to leave your job and go on unemployment anytime soon because you can no longer afford to get to work. Busses dont run where he lives

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Seriously man any moron with a HS diploma who owns a few somewhat normal clothes can earn $10/hr at Xerox being a paper monkey.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Echo said:
Seriously man any moron with a HS diploma who owns a few somewhat normal clothes can earn $10/hr at Xerox being a paper monkey.
Absolutely. Hell, even without the HS diploma as long as you look presentable you can get a job at Kaiser answering the appointment line phones for 10 - 15 an hour.

noname

Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
outer limits
What you need to not be a flunky in life......
1) Ability to read and write English proficiently
2) Ability to speak English clearly and with proper syntax (no slang)
3) High School Diploma
4) Willingness to work and listen to the boss (no backtalk, no slacking off)
5) Clean presentation. Dress like an adult, no baggie clothes, 5 o'clock shadows, dreads, long hair, goofy t-shirts, ect.
Last but not least: Show up on time, don't leave early, quit trying to take off for a concert every other day!

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
noname said:
3) High School Diploma
5) Clean presentation. Dress like an adult, no baggie clothes, 5 o'clock shadows, dreads, long hair, goofy t-shirts, ect.
Last but not least: Show up on time, don't leave early, quit trying to take off for a concert every other day!
But if you have mad skillz, none of the above applies.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
The Amish said:
He's only making $6 an hour and said by the time he gets done paying for gas everyweek its more like $3.
He either lives to far away, or doesn't work enough hours.

If he works in a shop - RIDE TO WORK...

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
Its a machine shop, Hes a puerto rican immigrant, family works on a farm outside the city, he's tryin to get his foot in the door and learn the trade die'n though it is. I am being sympathetic, I suppose just cause I know him a bit personaly, and because I can relate. I make triple that and the cost of gas is still killin me

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Bummer for the guy, sound's like he is trying to get somewhere in life and get a carrer going. :(
But if he can't get a pay rise he's gonna have to either move or get another job closer to home.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Transcend said:
What sort of vehicle does he drive? My chick's new car gets 50mpg - we are laughing at gas prices right now (and it's about $1 higher per gallon up here).
But seriously, the increased cost of gas takes a LONG time to add up to the expense of a new car...if you're looking for a new car, it's sure a consideration, but it makes me laugh to see people laying out $10,000 or so (with trade-in or sale of old car) to wait to buy a hybrid that will save them a few bucks in gas. Plus, no one can honestly say yet if it's cost-effective to replace the batteries on those suckers once they go, or if they'll be an environmental nightmare to deal with in and of themselves...

MD

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Not a hybrid, but ya new cars are light years ahead of old ones, even normal gas models.

I'm just sayin'...hard to feel sorry for a guy driving an excalade or another SUV when all he needs is a yaris to commute in you know? (In general, not specifically this guy as I have no clue what he drives). I love how the news is filled with people complaining about gas prices, and the tight shot goes wide and you see it's another dude in an SUV or cadillac CTS V or something. Some woman on CNN complaining to no end about gas prices, but she refused to drive anything smaller than her h2 as it was "below her status" (I swear to god, she said this).

Archslater

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
Indianapolis
MikeD said:
But seriously, the increased cost of gas takes a LONG time to add up to the expense of a new car...if you're looking for a new car, it's sure a consideration, but it makes me laugh to see people laying out $10,000 or so (with trade-in or sale of old car) to wait to buy a hybrid that will save them a few bucks in gas. Plus, no one can honestly say yet if it's cost-effective to replace the batteries on those suckers once they go, or if they'll be an environmental nightmare to deal with in and of themselves...

MD
Sure they can, do your research. The batteries are much better than standard lead-acid car batteries. Recycling infrastruture for Hybrid batteries is developing as we speak. Anyway the batteries are engineered to last for the life of the car, so it won't matter for years.

If you compare the price of a Hybrid after the tax credit, they will pay for themselves very quickly. A Hybrid Civic costs only $2,890 more than the comparable Civic EX, and this is before the $2000 tax credit. Won't take long to pay for itself. Shouldn't matter though. Nobody questions people who pay extra for other options like leather, sunroof, 4wd, etc... if those options will pay for themselves.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, just a lot of misinformation floating around out there about Hybrids.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
F' that, buy a 10-15yo civic/sentra/etc. My 1988 prelude used to regularly get 34-35mpg, and this was when it was 10-12 years old.

I'm sure you can pick one of those up for a couple thousand...

(edit: hell, my 17yo cousin picked up a 91 sentra with a huge dent in the passenger door for $600. got 35+mpg though...)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
dante said:
F' that, buy a 10-15yo civic/sentra/etc. My 1988 prelude used to regularly get 34-35mpg, and this was when it was 10-12 years old.

I'm sure you can pick one of those up for a couple thousand...

(edit: hell, my 17yo cousin picked up a 91 sentra with a huge dent in the passenger door for $600. got 35+mpg though...)
crash standards on old cars are much worse than on new ones, tho...

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
noname said:
3) High School Diploma
Maybe in the US...

Up here in Canexico, you need to have a HS, some sort of degree (a useful one mind you) and THEN, you can get an entry level job somewhere. Either that or know someone somewhere.

edit. Of course, having some common sense and determination can get you anywhere!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
ChrisRobin said:
Maybe in the US...

Up here in Canexico, you need to have a HS, some sort of degree (a useful one mind you) and THEN, you can get an entry level job somewhere. Either that or know someone somewhere.

edit. Of course, having some common sense and determination can get you anywhere!
Not so much here...There's a few places that will hire you for that much with just a HS degree (UPS, FedEx, call centers), but they're all really far away from where anyone lives, which means you need a car, which also means less money, which means I'll be happy making about 9$ an hour at a job that I can ride to (and one I enjoy). And go to school.