Quantcast

a new "new" giant dh ?

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
pntballpunk51 said:
http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article.asp?UAN=4278

supposively it isolates all outside forces (pedaling, braking, etc.) and it has a vertical axle-path

I sat on the Trance at work with the Maestro link but it felt like ****.
same, but i read a review on the faith1 in DIRT, and they LOVED it.

the way they did that is hidious compared to teh DW link, the proto's were much better, but im sure they infringed some patents

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
ha its called the glory and there is a big hole in the frame for the shock to clear. i can just see warrenty now.
customer "hello i broke my frame"
cs "what frame and where?"
c "i broke my glory hole"
could just be funny b/c im stilll drunk from last night or not

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
that is a totally different design than the one that Rando was riding on the NORBA circuit this season.

why/when did they change it? it this a picture from Eurobike?

ANSWERS NOW DAMMIT!

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
sama1ter said:
same, but i read a review on the faith1 in DIRT, and they LOVED it.

the way they did that is hidious compared to teh DW link, the proto's were much better, but im sure they infringed some patents

dirt ALWAYS loves all bikes, i say get your facts elsewhere.

and yea that thing looks awful but im sure the bike as a whole wont suffer that much from it aesthetically.

maybe dw will exlain if it really was a patent issue although from what i understand thats not necessarily so, it can look extremely similar but still not infringe on any patents.

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
vitox said:
dirt ALWAYS loves all bikes, i say get your facts elsewhere.

and yea that thing looks awful but im sure the bike as a whole wont suffer that much from it aesthetically.

maybe dw will exlain if it really was a patent issue although from what i understand thats not necessarily so, it can look extremely similar but still not infringe on any patents.
ive found dirt to be one of the best magazines for reading actual articles, much better than MBA.

ilfreerider

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
israel
pntballpunk51 said:
It's the new Giant with the maestro link. I heard they are offering it in the maestro link model and a single pivot model.

i know its the new model (look at my title) , but it is different than the prototype they ran all year.

Sep 29, 2004
don't hit me... but does the faith have maestro, bc one of the kids at the gravity camp had it this year and he says it was the worst frame design hes ever had... granted he was 16 so hopefully he hasnt had many

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The Faith, Trance, Reign and the new DH bike have the "maestro" system. This is one of the best suspension designs I've ever ridden. It takes away some of the big deficiancies of the FSR design, and doesn't seem to have any negatives. It absorbs all impacts very well, it uses it's travel very efficiantly, it pedals amazingly, all in all it lives up to the hype and claims. I've ridden quite a few Trances and Reigns, and I've been impressed. Far better than most suspension designs out there.

Sep 29, 2004
Jm_ said:
The Faith, Trance, Reign and the new DH bike have the "maestro" system. This is one of the best suspension designs I've ever ridden. It takes away some of the big deficiancies of the FSR design, and doesn't seem to have any negatives. It absorbs all impacts very well, it uses it's travel very efficiantly, it pedals amazingly, all in all it lives up to the hype and claims. I've ridden quite a few Trances and Reigns, and I've been impressed. Far better than most suspension designs out there.
thanks, i want to get on one to see how it feels, but the faith just has a little too much metal on the front triangle for me

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
my old roomate got a reign this year and I was blown away when I gave it a whirl....6" travel bikes that pedal that well yet soak up everything are pretty rare!

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
my trance that i have is awsome. the thing just soaks up the bumps. it really does feel like a 6" bike in the back on the downhills but really does pedal really well.

Just me who thinks putting something really important (IE the lower shock mount) potentially in the way of big rocks etc is a STUPID idea?

Now i know you can argue it's pretty far up, and it's unlikely you'll hit it.. but i've smacked a few bikes around that area off all sorts of random trail objects.. and once you're going over 10mph the results ain't pretty..

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
AR_ said:
Just me who thinks putting something really important (IE the lower shock mount) potentially in the way of big rocks etc is a STUPID idea?

Now i know you can argue it's pretty far up, and it's unlikely you'll hit it.. but i've smacked a few bikes around that area off all sorts of random trail objects.. and once you're going over 10mph the results ain't pretty..
i think thats a good point. possibly some bracing in that area in case of impacts. or possibly put the shock at more of an angle (the bottom mount in the space between the seat tube and down tube on the BB) but otherwise it looks pretty good.

Aug 30, 2005
San Diego
don't hit me... but does the faith have maestro, bc one of the kids at the gravity camp had it this year and he says it was the worst frame design hes ever had... granted he was 16 so hopefully he hasnt had many
that kid has no idea what he's talking about. he's probably just pissed cus daddy wouldn't buy him a demo9.

i'm 24. been riding since dh bikes were a hardtail with the 3" red judy instead of the 2" yellow ones. i've ridden almost every design u can think of. i got a chance to sample the faith for a day at Northstar about a month ago because i blew up the hub on my giant teamDH.

i can honestly say that the faith was one of the most well rounded FR bikes i've ever ridden. the handling was snappy at all but very low speeds.... unlike my teamDH. the rear suspension felt very active under both pedaling and braking and it absolutely ate up all the braking bump corners at N*. the drops all felt great and it launched beautifully off N*'s tore up lips. that day i think i did like 15 runs. the bike was SO fun! my face was pitch black with dust at the end of the day and people kept lookin at me funny (i didn't know why untill i got back to my car hah.) the bike didn't do as quite as well in the super steep stuff, but that's not really what it's made for and it also had a fork that was waaaaay to soft for me.

overall this bike is awesome at exactly what it's built for -hardcore freeriding-. basicially, ride the bike and make up your mind. it's sweet! it does look funny tho.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
AR_ said:
Look at the picture, the bottom bracket is much more in the way of big rocks....

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
yeha plus he faith is a bit heavy for what it is an i didn't really like the may it rides but you might think different

Aug 30, 2005
San Diego
zmtber said:
yeha plus he faith is a bit heavy for what it is an i didn't really like the may it rides but you might think different
u try adjusting the shock? no bike is meant to be just hopped on and ridden. but yeah everyone has different taste

Aug 30, 2005
San Diego
AR_ said:

wierd i've been riding mountain bikes for 12 years and i don't ever remember hitting anything in that area. this crazy thing called a bottom bracked usually gets in the way.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
Jm_ said:
Look at the picture, the bottom bracket is much more in the way of big rocks....
Yeah, if you are catching that on a rock, you've like done something dreadfully wrong.

I still don't like it though. I'm concerned about high speeds through loose gravel (think work roads). It doesn't take too many hits by a softball sized hunk of granite to smash the shock mount. And I have enough dings on my downtube to know this happens.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
dogwonder said:
Yeah, if you are catching that on a rock, you've like done something dreadfully wrong.

I still don't like it though. I'm concerned about high speeds through loose gravel (think work roads). It doesn't take too many hits by a softball sized hunk of granite to smash the shock mount. And I have enough dings on my downtube to know this happens.

i think a shock mount is a lot more resistant to rock damage than a tube

only drawback i can see is that it might make loading the bike on shuttle trucks more of a challenge, no biggie i think.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
even the giant bikes now have some linkage near the bottom bracket thats in a slight jeporady of hitting rocks. but that bike sure does like different then the one rando was on at the norbas (or at least wv and mt snow) his bike looked sweet

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
AR_ said:
Not when you land straight down on them! I'l show you a picture of a dent (Well, more like collapse, it's huge) in my friends downtube.. i'l see if you think it's still safe then..
I think that if you land straight down on any part of the bike, you'll break it. Doesn't really matter where or what it is.

Aug 30, 2005
San Diego
this whole argument is pointless. every bike has weak points. the chance of you getting a rock up to that shock mount and doing enough damage to break it is about the same as you crashing and having the bike hit its chainstay right on a rock, cracking it in half. basically if the bike rides great who cares. there's gonna be a fat chainguard that will deflect 99.99% of the rocks in that area.

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
AR_ said:
Not when you land straight down on them! I'l show you a picture of a dent (Well, more like collapse, it's huge) in my friends downtube.. i'l see if you think it's still safe then..

I would venture to say that if you land like that on any bike you are ****ed. A shock mount isn't going to make the crash any worse.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
pntballpunk51 said:
http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article.asp?UAN=4278

supposively it isolates all outside forces (pedaling, braking, etc.) and it has a vertical axle-path

I sat on the Trance at work with the Maestro link but it felt like ****.
That's a bunch of bologna, there is no such thing as a design that "isolates all forces".

The bike will brake like a single-pivot, so no real advantage there.

I thought the design looked nicer when the shock wasn't in such a strange location. It appears that the only reason the shock is oriented that way is so that the frame looks less like the Sunday. The same shock rate could have been achieved with the shock in a more conventional location. The design just doesn't look very refined IMO.

sleepinggiant

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
San Jose, CA
Spoke with our giant rep today. The Glory is a euro only model. The bike Rando is riding is the DH Team that the US will be getting. Should be out after Interbike.