Quantcast

a new trend I can get down with

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
affordable solid/well built entry level dh/fr/am bikes and components. Definitely a good move that is going to help grow the sport(s). Such as e.13 stamped backplates, RS Domain DC, and now the santa cruz bikes. Keep up the good work guys.

Spahman

Monkey
Dec 13, 2006
Arlington
It's really whats needed! I would have so many friends that would be down to try the sport.. but can't see spending 2 grand on a DH bike!

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
It's really whats needed! I would have so many friends that would be down to try the sport.. but can't see spending 2 grand on a DH bike!

$2000?
If you built up the cheapest DH bike possible with all these new budget components you MIGHT get it under $2k.
The sport is fricken' expensive, get used to it.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
That's what $500 hand me down bikes are for- to slowly get someone hooked and used to the idea of $2500 frames ;)

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
World cup frame makers need to start making production of pure race level frame for the racer,and versions a bit beefier so that you dont have to spend 3200+us dollars twice a year+ cause your intense or wtv is made of tin recycled cans

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
World cup frame makers need to start making production of pure race level frame for the racer,and versions a bit beefier so that you dont have to spend 3200+us dollars twice a year+ cause your intense or wtv is made of tin recycled cans
2 frame verions... yeah that would lower the price for sure :nope:

Also there are only about 4-5 frames on the market with really scary weight. The rest if designed well can be abused for long time. If you want a zillion dh bike ideas in one company go for nicolai but it rather won't be cheap.

As for cheap stuff. Jon I thought you are old enough to remember that there were cheaper bikes a few years back ;) Also instead of santa cruz I'd say direct order complete bikes from yt industries (2000 euro for a complete dh bike with boxxer team!) or catalog companies that chose their stuff reasonably and offer good components at a fraction of a price. Also just visit some place where people have less money than in the us - everything is cheaper around here. 1500$ gets you a new dh frame with shock from one of the local companies around here and you can get dirt hardtails for ~150-200$ (good geo and they are solid).

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
$2000?
The sport is fricken' expensive, get used to it.
Mountain biking isn't that expensive, there are so many other sports that are way more, especially if you want to travel a bit. Anything with a engine is probably going to cost more. Skiing/Snowboarding is ridiculous unless you have an amazing mountain in your back yard and don't want to go anywhere else. Golf; enough said. The list goes on. Honestly I've been basically unemployed for the last 4 months and can still afford to go riding and keep my bikes maintained, if it was that expensive I'd be sitting on my ass at home doing nothing everyday.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
People need to realize they are not 140 # WC racers and buy the bikes that fit their hack riding style and 200 # body. Can't blame the frame makers for wrong buying decisions people make just to look cool in the lift line. ;)

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
People need to realize they are not 140 # WC racers and buy the bikes that fit their hack riding style and 200 # body. Can't blame the frame makers for wrong buying decisions people make just to look cool in the lift line. ;)
What yeti did was a cool idea - heavier frame for the public - lighter for the pros. They still do it different for them so the cost differance wouldn't be that big.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
"affordable solid/well built entry level dh/fr/am bikes and components. Definitely a good move that is going to help grow the sport(s). Such as e.13 stamped backplates, RS Domain DC, and now the santa cruz bikes. Keep up the good work guys."

They are making these cheap goods because of the recession; we are to broke to by the good stuff any more.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Mountain biking isn't that expensive, there are so many other sports that are way more, especially if you want to travel a bit. Anything with a engine is probably going to cost more. Skiing/Snowboarding is ridiculous unless you have an amazing mountain in your back yard and don't want to go anywhere else. Golf; enough said. The list goes on. Honestly I've been basically unemployed for the last 4 months and can still afford to go riding and keep my bikes maintained, if it was that expensive I'd be sitting on my ass at home doing nothing everyday.
I think they are referring to someone entering the sport for the first time. You have your bike already and therefore the most expensive part of the sport is paid for. Actually riding the bike doesn't cost that much if you stick to trails. People that are new to the sport are hesitant to just plop down $2K to start a new sport. Even then, I would argue that it is an expensive sport. There is ongoing maintenance, replacing broken/worn out parts, entry fees for racing, food and gas to travel, protective gear, and the list goes on. Sure, the cost can be minimized if you are smart and/or frugal about some of the stuff but most people go on one or two trips a year and it all ads up quickly. If you are just riding your local trails and aren't breaking parts, then you probably fall into the minority category of being an inexpensive biker.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
There is ongoing maintenance, replacing broken/worn out parts, entry fees for racing, food and gas to travel, protective gear, and the list goes on. Sure, the cost can be minimized if you are smart and/or frugal about some of the stuff but most people go on one or two trips a year and it all ads up quickly. If you are just riding your local trails and aren't breaking parts, then you probably fall into the minority category of being an inexpensive biker.
What sport doesn't involve maintaining your gear? Bikes might be more than some stuff, but still not too bad. Gas and food, your probably going to be driving places and eating anyway so that's out. Race fees? What percentage of the bike riding population races on a regular basis? Probably less than you think not to mention its not like you have to race to have fun. Travel, if I didn't ride I would still be going on trips, probably more actually. As far as riding gear goes most guys I know have a helmet, knee pads and a jersey or two and same with shorts, that doesn't cost much. If you want a new look every year that's expensive, if you just buy stuff and ride it not so much. If your into video games and getting fat that is pretty cheap, but anything that involves the outdoors is probably on par if your some what serious about it. I've noticed that people that aren't into something just spend more on worthless consumer goods and doing lame stuff.