Quantcast

a new veteran?...looking for a bike

in_the_creek

Chimp
Jun 2, 2007
i guess i couldn't think of a better topic title than what it already. To elaborate and introduce my self, I'm Josh, and I have loved to bike since I was a small kid. Mostly i would have the occasional mongoose and just ride around the neighborhood but that got boring so i moved onto mountain biking. Well I currently have some 100 dollar or less mongoose bike and I just don't think it is up to par with what i want. I am looking for a bike to get and hopefully with the criteria some of the members here can help me find one :D

-Good gears...my mongoose has terrible gears, the are always shifting, jumping or falling off track
-Good Suspension
-Under 300 dollars
-Good stability

Honestly I dont know what else to look ask for since I am new at this. I never really have shopped for a real nice bike so that is my new challenge. I should also provide what I want this bike to be capable of.

Usually I use it as a to and from rig just to get to a friends house without driving...I am 17 with a part time job so gas isnt my friend. Anyways I also do a lot of mud/rock riding in the creeks around here. Where i live there are a ton of creeks that have nice rock beds and usually dont get deeper than 2-3 feet. I love doing this but unfortunately my mongoose limits me with bad suspension, brakes and gears. all help is much appreciated!

-josh

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
with your budget I would look into a used hardtail, try to find one with at least LX rear Derailluer. stay awy from Mongoose and Schwinns, look for clean used Gary Fisher's,Trek's, Specialized,Cannondale's, Kona's to name a few.