Quantcast

A new wheelset and weights?

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So I'm currently in possession of an Enduro Pro '06 and I'm planning on converting it to a light DH/FR bike with AM weight so I can still do some uphill riding (I'll add more travel with a bigger stroke shock and fork, and the bike has no warranty as it was a blem deal). But the first thing I feel absolutely needs to go is the wheel-set on the bike (Sun-ringle SOS). This is where I'm put into a predicament. I want a light wheel-set, but I don't want to sacrifice strength for weight. So here are my thoughts on wheel-sets but does anyone have any good input and maybe the weight of your super awesome wheel-set and what it is?

-Mavic Deemax UST wheel-set
-Mavic Crossmax SX wheel-set (do they hold up?)
-EX 823 rims on Hope Pro 2 hubs
-EX 729 rims on Hope Pro 2 hubs

Trick is I can get most of this stuff in the same price range, now I just need to figure out what is better. I honestly think Deemax's are over kill for me, but they are strong and light so that meets my needs (and then some).

Also can anyone recommend spokes, and maybe put up the weight on your wheel builds? I'm pretty set on a Mavic wheel build, but I'm considering Easton Havics as well.

P.S. Also, what about resale value? If you were buying a used wheel-set, which would you prefer for a resale (good condition)?

EDIT: Oh, and feel free to post links to other posts, I searched but didn't find much in the way of weights.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i've heard a few people say the crossmax SXs are a little flexy but strong, i'd say go with the 823s, the 721/823 comparison that sicklines did has me convinced now, i was skeptical at first but the 823 really is a lighter option.

JudgeDH

Chimp
Feb 7, 2008
If you require tubeless rims go with the 823s. These are some numbers:

Front
Hope Pro II 20mm: 172g
32 spokes DT Swiss Competition: 186g
32 brass nipples: 30g
Mavic 823 with inserts: 716g (from Sicklines, mine is a 721 @ 590g)
Total weight front wheel: 1104g (2.43lbs)

If you require tubeless rims go with the 823s. These are some numbers:

Rear
Hope Pro II 135 x 12mm: 283g
32 spokes DT Swiss Competition: 185g
32 brass nipples: 30g
Mavic 823 with inserts: 716g (from Sicklines, mine is a 721 @ 595g)
Total weight front wheel: 1214g (2.68lbs)

All these are confirmed weights.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
For light DH/AM, a 729 is too heavy. That's full on DH resort rim. Too heavy for many as a race rim.
Unless you're 250#, you'll be happier on a Singletrack or similar. Cheap, light, and work well with stans or ghetto tubeless.

The new Sun Equalizer is even lighter by about 50g but I have no experience with them. I plan on ordering a pair.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
scott

729 is a tank and super heavy
if its for light dh/fr you can run the 721 with tubes, but that will be the same wieght if not a little more then tubeless 823.

and you said deemax are overkill, well the 823 and deemax are the exact same rim, one is just yellow.

sounds like a tubeless 823 would do you well, if you against tubeless go 721.

either way, get some hope pro 2, they are sick

also, you could check out the dt swiss 5.1 thats what im running this year on my i9

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So it sounds like Hope Pro II's laced to EX823s are a good way to go.

What about spokes, anything that's stronger without a huge weight penalty? (probably a stupid question, but w/e)

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
823 weighs more than a 729. You'll be disappointed if you're trying to pedal this thing. Especially for the money set.
521 all around would be better.

Also, I just found the WTB Laserdisc Freeride. 570g, 30mm wide and cheaper than Mavic to boot.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Anyone know anything about the new Sun-ringle MTX rims? What about the welded model, whats the difference of the welded model compared to the other ones (w/e they are)? Looks like Sun may be another good option for weight and strength.

dh gangster

Monkey
Jul 31, 2006
P en Doubleyou
I'd steer clear of the wtb laserdisc.
I ran the DH version on my old SGS and they were just plain sloppy on a good day. The spokes always come loose and the rim would wobble so bad you could notice it when riding.
At least that was my experience.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
No worries, I was already planning on staying away from WTB in general. I've had my experiences as well.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I dont need cheap, I want light and strong...price isnt a big worry to me, I have nothing better to spend my money on.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
When built up the 823 is a reasonable weight rim, but not the lightest, certainly something I personally wouldn't be considering on an more AM/FR specific bike. All the weight is in the rim, so will 'feel' heavy to you.

I would look more towards the 819, which is just over 500g for the rim incl the eyelets. I've ben running them on my smaller bike now for at least 6 months & they have been fine & i've not been gentle on them.

Consider other rear hub options than the Pro 2, the freehub body is made of cheese, and 24pt engagement is cr*p. Mine seem to have an appetite for bearings too.

In conclusion, I would look at a Pro 2 front hub, DT DB spokes on a Mavic 819 rim, and rear, something other than a Pro 2 on the same build.

Vena

Monkey
Aug 30, 2007
Italy
What about the new Sun Ringle Equalizer 29, do you think they are strong enough for downhill?