Quantcast

A not riding yet day

I have - I don't know - maybe 40 acres of ledgy wooded land across the stream from my house that I have been wanting to put some trail on for years. I have a few exploratory threads started, but they tend to peter out in too wet, too steep. blowdown pickup sticks, whatever.

Late last fall I thought that I had worked out a good start at a perimeter loop, but there's a really disorienting patch of blowdown from an ice storm some years back and I never manage to put together the same line twice running.

I spent a half a day in there Sunday wandering around and watching and listening and still no satori; eventually it's going to come together and a trail will emerge, but apparently not soon.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
FFS, most of us would give their asses for private trail land. Suck it up and build something old man!

FFS? :confused:

I build slowly. On this side of the stream I have a little tightly wound trail that's got switchbacks, a cliffside section, diagonal log crossings, a little ledge to get over with a line that's about four inches wide, and some other treats.

I'm going to solicit some help from friends this summer to take a stab at the piece across the stream.

splat said:
Sounds like you need to do some north shore bridging , with those blow down , you have some woo do to work with.

where those blow downs from that big Ice storm 3 -4 years ago ?
Yes. In general, they're too small for bridgework, just a nasty tangle that gets in the way of sightlines and travel when scouting. In another five years they'll be less significant.

As for bobcats, the volunteer crews I work with frustrate me to death. They clear every log, eliminate bar grabbers, and make a path about three feet wide.

My ideal is eight to twelve inches of tread width and plenty of balance moves. Some of the stuff I have done has taken me six months to learn to ride cleanly.

J

JRB

Holy crap - I just thought I posted, but I did not. I rode the secret trails for a short bit and and going to build some contour stuff to come up, and some stunts to go down. I may start Sat. The 4 wheeler guys are getting stupid in the corners and blowing up huge berms before all of my little chutes, so I have to get them down and hopefully they will stop.