Quantcast

A playful "which-bike-to-take" poll.....

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Ok, laugh if you will, I'll be participating in Sunday's Cat 2 clydesdale mens' xc at Sea Otter. I might even be granted plate 814 as requested, too. The difficult decision I need to make is which of my bikes to take. The choices are......

My Trek FuelEX with 2.1 tires f/r, or.....

My Banshee Viento with 2.2r/2.3f tires.......

The course is about 25miles, and I'm looking to have a boatload of fun while wife shops the expo. I'd give more details about the bikes, yet I feel the frame/tires are the main concerns. Oh, and I'll be using the same bike to cruise 17mile Drive and Shoreline Dr. from Pacific Grove to Monterey the 3 days we'll be there after Otter, which means I'm taking wife's bike, too.

So, what input do you have for me. And yes, if you want to be sarcastic/funny about it, that'll work, too.

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I choose option it probably doesn't matter. Unless you are looking to win the thing, which it doesn't sound like you are, choose whichever one is more comfortable.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
wait a sec.... someone actually RACES their mtb??!!??
Wwweeeellllllll..........

I go into great debates with my wife about this. I have never really raced, as I just don't put in the time for proper training. If I did, and she'd stay off my back, I may just be able to finish, oh, mid-pack?? I just get out there for the fun and friendships involved.

As for the funnerer one, I am leaning towards my Trek, because my LBS/Trek did give me the frame, first when it was a Fisher, then upgraded to the Trek for warranty purposes. And by "give", I mean, no charge. I did "buy" the Banshee at a greatly discounted price from Banshee, and it is a blast to ride with the larger tires.

Maybe I'll just leave both at home and demo a bike there, and just go for long walks with wife by/on the beach after.........

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Which ever one has Avid brakes, cuz avid brakes are super playful. They'll like go to the bar and you'll be screaming to stop, then the next time you squeeze they'll build up a little pressure, "just playin!"...

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Neither. Get that fat bike you've always wanted- these races are won or lost in the sand traps, you know.