Quantcast

A plea to parents everywhere:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
If you have kids, and you let them use the internet, please don't let them use instant messaging.

It's turning otherwise normal kids into cretins unable to communicate with the outside world.

edit: A spelling mistake, imagine that...

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Hm....I can see why that is definitely an issue, but I am 16 and use instant messaging all the time. Seems like I have fairly good communicating skills to an extent. Although it seems more often now adays at school instead of giving out your phone number to somebody its giving them your IM screen name.

PonySoldier

Monkey
May 5, 2004
Woodland Park Colorado
I use IM with my eldest daughter to communicate from work to home, I correct everything she does wrong; spelling, grammar etc.. I find it to be a fairly useful tool in this regard and it makes her much more aware of her grammar, spelling etc..

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
PonySoldier said:
I use IM with my eldest daughter to communicate from work to home, I correct everything she does wrong; spelling, grammar etc.. I find it to be a fairly useful tool in this regard and it makes her much more aware of her grammar, spelling etc..
Wow, positive and constructive interaction with their own child... okay, I think you are the exception to the IM world.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I used to not think it was a big issue at all until I caught myself typing "WTF" into a research paper for school. :dead:

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
ViolentVolante said:
you are bringing on the moral downfall of society :thumb:

damn, you un convered my plot.

by getting home work off AIM i was planning to waste others time from actaully doing things, voting and campaining and shopping, thus bringing down the US and a nuclear war would begin! damn, now i have to start over. :blah: :blah: :nuts: :p

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
ViolentVolante said:
you are bringing on the moral downfall of society :thumb:
:stupid:

Ahahaha, that guy's a prime example of how not to communicate online. That's why I love the "ignore list" feature. :p

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
thats not nice, im on RIPS ingonore feature. But he doesnt read any ones posts any way. :p

i heard he licks ball. :devil:

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
i use it all the time, and I'm one of the youngest on this board. I made a post about it a while ago, and most were surprised at my age and grammar ability. See, if it wasn't in my sig you wouldn't be able to tell, would ya?

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
I work with a lot of people who are in either Asia or Europe. Because of the time differences it works well because we can see who is/is not online. Plus, with most english is a second or third language, so structure/form is less important. IM works great.

Plus my solution is don't have kids. Don't think thats a good solution? Tell it to my wife, we just got back from Cancun. Can't do that too often with kids!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Austin Bike said:
Plus my solution is don't have kids. Don't think thats a good solution? Tell it to my wife, we just got back from Cancun. Can't do that too often with kids!
in the past 12 months we've been to paris, stockholm, denmark, and prague w/ our 2.5 and 4.5 year old boys. what's yr point?

J

JRB

narlus said:
in the past 12 months we've been to paris, stockholm, denmark, and prague w/ our 2.5 and 4.5 year old boys. what's yr point?
Well - you don't spell words out for one. Oh wait, that wasn't his point. You made some bad ass cds in that time too.

J

JRB

mack said:
thats not nice, im on RIPS ingonore feature. But he doesnt read any ones posts any way. :p

i heard he licks ball. :devil:
Sucks balls. Get is straight.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
just because many young kids are borderline illiterate and happen to use im doesn't mean that there's a causal relationship between the two

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Silver said:
If you have kids, and you let them use the internet, please don't let them use instant messaging.

It's turning otherwise normal kids into cretins unable to communicate with the outside world.

edit: A spelling mistake, imagine that...
I have to agree, I;m a 17 year old who uses instant messaging all the time and look at me and my speling. People should also learn how to make real friends before using messaging. Otherwise yes they will turn out very weird. I personally hate meeting ppl online, much rather meet the ppl first than talk on msn. I don;t like phones thats why.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Toshi said:
just because many young kids are borderline illiterate and happen to use im doesn't mean that there's a causal relationship between the two
I dunno in my english class today we got back an exam. It was an in-class essay thing, anyways my friend just barely passed cause of his spelling. He says "wtf they shouldn;t mark ppl on their spelling anymore, I don't know how to spell without spell check."

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
JMAC said:
I dunno in my english class today we got back an exam. It was an in-class essay thing, anyways my friend just barely passed cause of his spelling. He says "wtf they shouldn;t mark ppl on their spelling anymore, I don't know how to spell without spell check."
that's because your friend is lazy and didn't learn how to spell properly. these traits are independent of im use. similarly, note how calculators and symbolic math programs like mathematica are used by people who, get this, can actually do arithmetic and calculus on their own.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
ViolentVolante said:
you need :help: a semicolon (;) and an aprostrophe (') are very different
I have big fingers i always hit that key for some; reason.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Toshi said:
that's because your friend is lazy and didn't learn how to spell properly. these traits are independent of im use. similarly, note how calculators and symbolic math programs like mathematica are used by people who, get this, can actually do arithmetic and calculus on their own.
You're right but it is true that the more technolohie we have the lazier ppl get. Not everyone but if you grow up on it, it'll be harder for u not to be lazy. If that makes any sense.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
JMAC said:
You're right but it is true that the more technolohie we have the lazier ppl get. Not everyone but if you grow up on it, it'll be harder for u not to be lazy. If that makes any sense.
people need to step up and take responsibility. the computer does not make you stupid. the tv does not make you stupid. sitting around iming with horrible spelling and grammar, or watching soap operas and talk shows all day is what makes you stupid :D

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
manziman said:
"your fingers are too fat, if you would like to order a special dialing wand, please mash the keyboard with your hand now"- Simpsons
Keypad, not keyboard. Keypad!

Shmoe

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Calgary, Canada eh?
For English finals this year I allowed to use a computer rather then pen and paper. I dont think ive gotten about 60% in spelling/grammer on any of those essays. I can type quite a bit better then I write. Even if I have to spell check every sentance multiple times...