Quantcast

A point well made?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Seriously first the stupid nat champs jersey rule now this? I wonder what would happen if there was an organized boycott from the teams and filmmakers, though I know it is not really possible.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Incredibly lame... they will continue to squeeze until people band together and say no.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Rob is bang on right. F the UCI with this money grabbing horse****. I swear if it isn't a bunch of uptight asshole-less shaved leg ladyboys on pavement, the UCI just doesn't get it.

Wonder what would happen if all the trade teams just sat up and said "no."

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Rob is bang on right. F the UCI with this money grabbing horse****. I swear if it isn't a bunch of uptight asshole-less shaved leg ladyboys on pavement, the UCI just doesn't get it.

The problem is - all the major old time orgs are just a bunch of all farts milking the industry. The Soccer/Football World Cup in South Africa brought really little revenue to that country as all the stuff was contracted by fifa outside of the country and they persecuted and sued anyone who tried to make any cash out of it.
How FIS was behaving in the 80s and early 90s for snowboard was also ****. I dont want to mention Polish local orgs when you see a bus in the alps with a huge sign Polish Volleyball and the only guys that come out of it are 50+ year old bald fat ****s.

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007

I couldn't agree more.
The ****iots in charge have no clue how much this hurts the sport in the long run. I used to run into that crap when I did the video thing, hence why I no longer bother..

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
The UCI was charging 10 bucks a car at windham for parking, windham didnt get that money, also they were charging 10 bucks a person for a lift ride up the mountain. what a rip off.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
800E and you only get 2mins was it of the last bit of the track. Seriously, as one of the biggest teams, the Syndicate needs to organise a boycotte when they get to the first round next season.

Just say we aren't racing until our team videographers are allowed on the hill, that'd fix them quick smart.

It's to do with tv rights I'd say, but I would have though that would be only live rights. The only choice I had was to pay Paycasters fee (of which I have no objection) but then put up with their fracking ****ty server that feeds Oz so the footage was always fracking ****e. The team and Dirt vids are always my favourite WC videos to watch.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I think the UCI needs to hire a new promotions/marketing director. Talk about stepping over the dollars to pick up the pennies.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
800E and you only get 2mins was it of the last bit of the track. Seriously, as one of the biggest teams, the Syndicate needs to organise a boycotte when they get to the first round next season.

Just say we aren't racing until our team videographers are allowed on the hill, that'd fix them quick smart.

It's to do with tv rights I'd say, but I would have though that would be only live rights. The only choice I had was to pay Paycasters fee (of which I have no objection) but then put up with their fracking ****ty server that feeds Oz so the footage was always fracking ****e. The team and Dirt vids are always my favourite WC videos to watch.
The UCI would just not give a sh!t.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I dunno. I have mixed feelings about this. Freecaster secured exclusive rights to live footage, and as a result want to protect that investment. If every man and his dog were allowed up the hill to film, I may well have said **** it and not paid, and just watched the recap clips later. (Actually, this isn't true, as freecaster are the only ones providing a full replay, which is what I wanted and was prepared to pay for, but bear with me here).

Are we ultimately harming the sport more by a) allowing everyone up there so that teams and others can put out their own vids on their own dime.

or b) limiting access so that a single enterprise stand a better chance of making it a commercial venture and hence might be more willing to stump up an investment up front?

Not sure personally, but I can see both sides.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
Are we ultimately harming the sport more by a) allowing everyone up there so that teams and others can put out their own vids on their own dime.

or b) limiting access so that a single enterprise stand a better chance of making it a commercial venture and hence might be more willing to stump up an investment up front?

b) fo sho

what's the point in getting mediocre coverage (which i am very, very thankful for and gladly paid 15 $ for..) with all it's known limitations (bandwith problems, 2 and a half cameras on the hill) and not permitting the really brilliantly done team vids? any yeti or syndicate vid looks like our sports wants to look like, visually showing the world how "cool" DH racing is.
these get people into DH, not the completely wasted warner who doesn't even notice that his mic is turned OFF!!! don't get me wrong: i LOVE warner's ramblings, but that's not something i'd like my mom to hear, while trying to persuade her to buy me a 5K DH bike! (like in the syndicate interview: "incest is best!" LOL! :D )
and the main difference is this:
freecaster is REPORTING as in NEWS COVERAGE! and it's done LIVE! (if we leave the recaps out..)
the team vids are PROMOTION as in ADVERTISEMENT! they contain a certain degree of reporting, but in the end it's about what steve and greg had for breakfast and how great those V10s are, NOT how the race itself unfolded. and they are released several days AFTER the event. i can't see the collision in interests here....

and if freecaster is having a hard time to get their money together, then it's their business problem, as i doubt that they are in it for the fun of it. i'd gladly pay for live coverage, but don't see the point, cause the codes where all passed along via facebook and i felt kinda "betrayed" 'cause i shellled out those f*cking 15$.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
I dunno. I have mixed feelings about this. Freecaster secured exclusive rights to live footage, and as a result want to protect that investment. If every man and his dog were allowed up the hill to film, I may well have said **** it and not paid, and just watched the recap clips later. (Actually, this isn't true, as freecaster are the only ones providing a full replay, which is what I wanted and was prepared to pay for, but bear with me here).

I tend to lean towards the a) notwithstanding my capitalist tendencies. This sport needs the exposure that the corporate videos brings - at least in the short to medium term. Its those videos that present the outside world with what we want them to see.

Team videos = advertising = more bikes sold = more participants = more racers & spectators = more sponsors = more teams = more UCI levies = WIN.

The UCI's policy to grab a few dollars today whilst restricting the potential audience (market) of tomorrow is short sighted. Yes, there is a financial squeeze on at the moment but I don't believe the UCI does not have the means to fully support the rebirth of DH racing as a broadcast sport.

I don't think freecaster can make a viable commercial business of web-casting these events with the quality of coverage and commentary. I wont be paying for these events in the future for "two and a half cameras" and a replay of the quali's inserted into a race run to pad out the actual content.

However, I would support and pay Freecaster for an annual subscription to all events if they put full course coverage in place. I would pay USD200, maybe more, to watch the whole WC and World champs season if I knew it was going to be quality.

If there was a subscriber base that made it profitable, would the UCI give a **** if there were videographers and photo jockeys swarming over the track? Probably not.

Would other monkeys pay for year round access if it was quality?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
There are a lot of assumptions going on in here. Things are very fragile right now and I think we should all support any coverage we can get. Passing around codes will be the death of coverage of the sport we all love. The bugs will get worked out and we don't know all the details so we shouldn't get so huffy about those assumptions.

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
If there was a real conflict of interest between what Freecaster are doing and what the film makers are doing, then they just wouldn't let them film at all due to their exclusive access rights. They know as well as anyone else that the film makers busting their balls for a week before the event gets people interested in the race and fired up to watch it live. This, IMO, is just plain money grabbing by the UCI because they know they can get away with it. From what I've read on here, the resort has to offer a substantial sum the UCI for them to climb down from f*ckin Mount Olympus and grace us with their presence and timing equipment. To then charge extra just to film a limited section of track and limit the film time is going to choke the sport, and I hope that some independent series can get started up soon so we can ditch the UCI.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
and if freecaster is having a hard time to get their money together, then it's their business problem, as i doubt that they are in it for the fun of it. i'd gladly pay for live coverage, but don't see the point, cause the codes where all passed along via facebook and i felt kinda "betrayed" 'cause i shellled out those f*cking 15$.
Well done for shelling out the $15 (or whatever it was). You're not a theif. You wouldn't steal a DVD from a store would you? Whoever is passing around codes doesn't know the difference between right and wrong.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
personally don't have a problem with UCiI/organisers charging film makers/'togs what ever they want. should be very little restrictions on what/when/where/how much they film/shoot though.
Anyone know, Does the WC even make a profit?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
personally don't have a problem with UCiI/organisers charging film makers/'togs what ever they want. should be very little restrictions on what/when/where/how much they film/shoot though.
Anyone know, Does the WC even make a profit?
If the UCI has the same profit margin as other sports orgs then they are greedy bastards. The problem is that they not only charge freelance film makers but also teams who already paid quite a lot to them.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I didn't ask what the UCI's profit margin was. I asked if the WC (World Champs event) made a profit and you clearly don't know.

Still don't really see a problem with charging Teams more for filming on top of what they already pay for pit space etc.. If any production/media business wants to film any other sporting event it's pretty normal to have to pay for the privilege.

armada

Monkey
Aug 27, 2010
dont know for the world championchip, but the world cup does, at least in maribor it did, i dont have the info on other wenues

i think for scs and other "big" guys this isnt realy a problem, but for the litle independent guys i think 800$ is quite a deal breaker

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
This is the UCI we're talking about. No amount of griping will change this situation.

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
If the UCI was actually promoting the sport the way it should & getting it on Worldwide TV I could see them monopolizing on the video footage, 100%.

That being said?
What channel was it on? (Nothing against Freecaster, I love the site), but it is NOT a TV station.
How much pre-race merchandising did they do?
How much Radio & TV Advertising did they do?
How much post-race merchandising did they do?
NONE!
Was there even 1 TV news story done on the whole event? Were the winners even announced on a local TV station's news?

This is a 20 year old sport that has the worse governing bodys of any sport. Ever..

It's almost like they don't want to make money..

Here's what I propose: Don't buy their video when it comes out, don't visit the race next year, don't give them $10.00 for parking. Don't give them a dime. And maybe they will get the point someday.

I've been saying it about those USAC dickbags for years too.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
If the UCI was actually promoting the sport the way it should & getting it on Worldwide TV I could see them monopolizing on the video footage, 100%.

That being said?
What channel was it on? (Nothing against Freecaster, I love the site), but it is NOT a TV station.
How much pre-race merchandising did they do?
How much Radio & TV Advertising did they do?
How much post-race merchandising did they do?
NONE!
Was there even 1 TV news story done on the whole event? Were the winners even announced on a local TV station's news?

This is a 20 year old sport that has the worse governing bodys of any sport. Ever..

It's almost like they don't want to make money..

Here's what I propose: Don't buy their video when it comes out, don't visit the race next year, don't give them $10.00 for parking. Don't give them a dime. And maybe they will get the point someday.

I've been saying it about those USAC dickbags for years too.
The problem is they are too stubborn. Even if a large % of the ppl flipped the finger theyd only go - That downhillers have no real respect for the sport, I knew we shouldnt allow them into our jolly old club.
We would get ignored because they dont understand the sport and until the current crop of officials dies of old age or shaves thier legs off and wont be able to get to work.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
freecaster is REPORTING as in NEWS COVERAGE! and it's done LIVE! (if we leave the recaps out..)
the team vids are PROMOTION as in ADVERTISEMENT! t

Pro tip: All racing is "promotion as in advertisement"

Edit: Also, WC racing has a long ways to go until its a viable mainstream broadcast sport. They really need to figure out that if they want TV coverage, they need to stop pussyfooting around and make courses that are conducive to filming. None of this "slow technical" garbage. Fast, wide open, steep trails. Something like the Les Gets worlds course a few years back. Average speeds of 35 mph+, 50 foot doubles, massive fade away step downs. Average grades of 30%, 15-20+ ft wide courses, big berms that let you carry speed, blazing fast rock gardens, etc. Why is that so hard?

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
If the UCI has the same profit margin as other sports orgs then they are greedy bastards. The problem is that they not only charge freelance film makers but also teams who already paid quite a lot to them.
I think the government needs to take a more agressive antitrust stance on professional sports governing bodies (NBA, NFL, whatever is in Europe, etc.) This government sanctioned price gouging of everybody needs to stop in all sports.

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Pro tip: All racing is "promotion as in advertisement"

Edit: Also, WC racing has a long ways to go until its a viable mainstream broadcast sport. They really need to figure out that if they want TV coverage, they need to stop pussyfooting around and make courses that are conducive to filming. None of this "slow technical" garbage. Fast, wide open, steep trails. Something like the Les Gets worlds course a few years back. Average speeds of 35 mph+, 50 foot doubles, massive fade away step downs. Average grades of 30%, 15-20+ ft wide courses, big berms that let you carry speed, blazing fast rock gardens, etc. Why is that so hard?
I totally agree.:thumb:

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Reading the comments on Dirt I came across this from Chris Roberts,

"Break away series?
We tried that this year with the European 4X Series, but got told by the UCI 5 days before the 1st Round in Prauge that we must register all the races with the UCI becuase they are a series of mountain bike races taking place in europe?
If we did not register the events any riders taking part with a UCI Licence will be suspended for 1 month! (this was 2 weeks before the World Cup of this year)
So no chance of any break away series for DH or 4X.
UCI own Mountain Biking."

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I just wanted to point out that the UCI is a non-profit (and non-government), so previous comments about their greed and profit-making are kind of misleading.

Also - f*ck making the sport more conducive to TV.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
OK, the 800e charge allowed filmers to film the entire track all week. It was only during finals (and maybe timed runs) that they were only allowed to film the last 100m and finish area.

From what I was told, this had nothing at all to do with freecaster, but was a rule set down by the uci and, get this, the European Broadcasters Union, due to TV/internet rights now being sold to various parties.

Also, it's ridiculous, and the UCI needs to get ****ed.

The UCI itself may be not for profit, but i can guarantee you that their employees get paid very well, and get taken care of very well. No expense is spared for hotels, food, special events etc. It's easy to make no profit when you blow all of your extraneous funds on luxuries...