Quantcast

a poll about pegs and drivetrains

Do you run your pegs same side as your drivetrain?

• Yes, same side.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • No, opposite sides.

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ok so I'm thinking about throwing pegs on my bike (20"). There's a good number of parks in my area, and its winter, so MTB will be held to a minimum.

For those of you who are running pegs, do you run them on the same side as your drivetrain or opposite? IE, pegs on right side, while running left side drive (or vice versa). If you run them on the same side, do you notice any interference from your sprocket/chain when you're grinding?

What about foot dominance? I'm right foot dominant, and I think I would be more comfortable with the pegs on the right side as well. Or would I be better off learning to grind on the side opposite of my dominant foot?

Any other recommendations? Thoughts?

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
Well if you have a problem with drive train and pegs, if you want you can invest into a left side drive hub and problemo solved.

swerve76

Monkey
Aug 30, 2003
nevada
On my my bmx and usb molly its pegs on the left. When I was still riding 26" street, it was pegs on the right. I didnt have any problem with them on the drive side.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Most of the time, if people run only one pair of pegs, they would go on the same side as your front foot.
Ask yourself which way you would want to peg stall on a quarterpipe.... most people have a strong side to turn to when hitting ramps, etc. You'll want your pegs toward the coping.

Vlad

Chimp
Jun 16, 2007
Why don't you run four pegs and learn to grind on both sides? Modern drivetrains are small enough that you don't really need to worry about interference.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Most of the time, if people run only one pair of pegs, they would go on the same side as your front foot.
Ask yourself which way you would want to peg stall on a quarterpipe.... most people have a strong side to turn to when hitting ramps, etc. You'll want your pegs toward the coping.
Yea, that's what I was thinking. I'm right foot dominant and rotating counter-clockwise is my preferred direction (I'm trying to force myself to learn clockwise as well) so I was leaning towards pegs on my right sight. I'm not planning on buying a new wheel for LSD just because of this, but wasn't sure if I should anticipate any issues with RSD. If I do have problems LSD is the solution.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
I run 4pegs with RSD. I have a 11t driver with micro dropouts so my chain does crest outside the dropouts. I've only had issues with my chain being grinded out when I was learning icepicks. Solution was getting a guard and all is well.