Quantcast

A potential hot tips for you monkeys looking for cranks......

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
So I' home on a rainy sunday afternoon with the wife out shopping & the kid is asleep. I'm cruising the bike websites for nothing in particular, when I come across this:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=21683

A Hone crankset for $99. The cheapest place I've ever seen it is Jenson for $160. In fact, Performance has what looks to be the same crankset :
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=19772
listed elsewhere for $165.

Only difference I can tell is the 99 buck ones are 170's and the 165 buck ones are 175s.

Am I missing something, or is Performance?
In any case, I ordered a set.
I'll let you know.............

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I ain't no go-rilla marketer either (like Rob is for XM :rolleyes: , just looking out for some bargin-hunting monkeys).

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
BurlyShirley said:
Holy crap! Does that come with the BB as well?
Holy Crap is right. THat's a great price. According to the website they do come with the BB...

"At a more affordable price point, Hone will give you the the best All-mountain / Enduro MTB components for the buck. Hollowtech II crankset provides optimal balance of lightweight and rigidity. Dual SIS compatible, 44/32/22T. 928g (175mm w/BB)."

Looks like they had 175's at one time. I would call to be safe though.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I bet they are just blowing out 170s. You have to be pretty short to run 170s on a trail bike. Great deal if your building up a DH bike though.

oh yeah, if you go to supergo.com you can get a 10% off coupon for performance.com

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
stosh said:
What is so good about Shimano HONE?
Basically it's the LX cranks in a darker finish. The cheapes these ever are in Hone or LX color is $160. So you get to buy into the $160+ external BB crank system for $99. Less if you used the 10% off coupon floating around.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
buildyourown said:
I bet they are just blowing out 170s. You have to be pretty short to run 170s on a trail bike. Great deal if your building up a DH bike though.

oh yeah, if you go to supergo.com you can get a 10% off coupon for performance.com
Hey...I run 170s on my trail bike...you callin me short :think:

;)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Mackie said:
Campy does not make offroad cranks? :rolleyes:
Yeah, that sucks. Especially since there are no other manufacturers making cranks besides Shimano and Campy...

:(

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
H8R said:
Yeah, that sucks. Especially since there are no other manufacturers making cranks besides Shimano and Campy...

:(
Well, I DID just order a set of external bearing RaceFace cranks.....
for my road bike.......

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
98 dollars is what these cranks are at cost. I bet its an error, I doubt they are selling at cost.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Heath Sherratt said:
You mean besides FSA, Truvativ, and Ritchey just to name a few.
Glad to know someone appreciates sarcasm.

:D