Quantcast

A product I would recommend:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
The thread about little bits in your packs did alot of good for me. It got me to add a small LED light, tissue (for pooing) and a chainring bolt. Items Id never thought about.

Well, how many of you guys carry an extra layer for in case of a storm of some kind? I normally dont, but since Im heading out west in May, I will be carrying something so I dont die in such a case. TN trails dont REALLY require it, but..well, her you go.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=51708&hvarDept=600&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=10&hvarSubCode=2&hvarTarget=browse

I know you guys wouldnt normally shop at BassPro, but I picked this up for fishing, and it collapses to VERY small, is water proof and reasonably light. Is also very cheap. I got mine at the store for $20, and its been a lifesaver on numerous fishing trips.
It also fits easily into my mule.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I found a Columbia for around $20 on ebay. So glad I had it on a couple of commutes during monsoon season. Other than than, I live in a desert.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I always carry one after my Black Friday experience in New Zealand a couple years ago. Right now I need something warm and waterproof and that doesn't take a lot of room. I am going to attempt to ride for a week in Switzerland with just what I can fit in a small backpack/large camelback. My current raincoat is too bulky for that.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Most of the stuff I ride would never require something like that, but I could see how that would be handy for someone who does epic rides.

The better trail systems I frequent are short systems that are well contained, so you do a lot of miles without going too far (if that makes any sense). Powell Butte is a perfect example.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Hiedi, look into shell clothing made of silnylon, a favorite with the ultralight crowd. It doesn't breath but it's super lightweight, very waterproof and wads up to nothing in your pack. I think Go-Lite is one good brand.

geargrrl

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
geargrrl said:
Hiedi, look into shell clothing made of silnylon, a favorite with the ultralight crowd. It doesn't breath but it's super lightweight, very waterproof and wads up to nothing in your pack. I think Go-Lite is one good brand.

geargrrl

I want something warm too though. Voler makes a great thermal jacket...but only custom for teams.

J

JRB

MisterClean said:
A Space Blanket is good to have.

I find it hard to believe shirl 'ol girl didn't carry mountain money (TP).
As trashy as BS is, I am sure he'll wipe his ass with a space blanket. :nonono:

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
jimmydean said:
Most of the stuff I ride would never require something like that, but I could see how that would be handy for someone who does epic rides.

The better trail systems I frequent are short systems that are well contained, so you do a lot of miles without going too far (if that makes any sense). Powell Butte is a perfect example.
Same here. Most of the rides I do I just leave from where I live and go for maybe 1.5 hours or something. Most of the time, I just take water and...well...that's it...