Quantcast

A Question About SPD's

As long as I've been riding mountain bikes (about 12 years) I've always used flat pedals.I tried spd's about two years ago but got sick of falling off while getting used to them and put them on the road bike.
Now I've decided to give them another go on the mtb.However all my mates who use them are always complaning about having cold and wet feet.At the moment they've all bought Seal Skin socks at about £25 a pair!!! I've always used hiking boots and have never had cold/wet feet.
What I want to know is can you make a spd shoe water proof like my hiking boots? Seems having a couple of slots in the sole is a bad idea.
Want to use spd's but also want to have toasty feet :help:

You could try Lake MXZ 300 shoes. They are pricey, but there is no better shoe to ride with in the winter. They are water proof, and they have a neoprene cuff that goes 4 inches up your ankle, also. They have a bunch of insulation, and a roomy toe box for big socks. I think you can get similar shoes from Sidi and Gaerne.
Other that that, I don't have much advice, sealing the cleat holes is no big deal. Just use some silicone sealant or something. Most spd shoes have tons of venting and mesh and holes, so sealing all that will be quite a job. If you can find shoes without, go for it. Good luck, man.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
:think: There are also hiker style boots/shoes out thee that are SPD compatible. They have softer foot beds, but less venting...it could be a good trade off for you. Jst plug up the slots once the cleats are in like Endoz said, and you're golden! Good luck.:D

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
My latest winter shoe is the Sidi Storm. All Lorica and no mesh, neoprene cuff. I got them a bit big and put in a felt insole to insulate from the cleat pedal heat sink. The slightly oversize provides sock room too. Wooly Bullies are toastee. Works quite well and the toe studs are a huge plus when its muddy. Tape over the cleat holes under the insole and they won't leak.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
neoprene booties, which work for the wind, but just suck overall! What really worked well for me this season is toe warmers. I put them b/w two socks on top of the front of my foot to block the air-flow through the vents...which also fuel the heating elements. I do have to say tho, this has been the mildest winter that I have ever experienced! :eek: I usually run platforms through the winter...its a fun switch up from my Times, and I can wear good warm fotwear.

Hasta!:D