Quantcast

a question/observation about today's tour stage

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I've been watching the replay of today's tour stage off and on and it seems like discovery has been doing most of the lead work the last half or so (after the first climb/descent) of the stage. Seems to me that makes their performance that much more impressive... to know that they are handling the field as well as they are all the while doing more work than anyone else as CSC and Tmobile are drafting Discovery the whole time.

So the question is... is Discovery really that good, or are the other teams saving themselves for the later mountain stages? If they are saving themselves... why isn't discovery?

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
I think Discovery was trying to push it to get as much of a time gap between Lance and the rest of the main contenders to him as possible today. Especially since it was right after a rest day so that throws off their performance (either good or bad) and it was apparent that Ullrich/Vino/Mayo and others really weren't cutting it today so it seemed that they were driving the pace as fast as they could without completely exhausting themselves.

On a side note I was very pleased to see Rasmussen just chillin up there with Lance till the very end. Further evidence that he is a strong rider, especially in mountains and if he performs this way in the continuing mountain stages I wouldn't be surprised if he podiums. :D :thumb:

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Did you notice that there are only seven Discovery guys on the front including Lance? Where are his two big climbing lieutenants -- Azvedo and Chechu? Waiting in the wings for tomorrow?

Only time will tell if Johan's stragegy pays off but Lance should now be able to sit back and mark the riders that they feel are threats. They pretty much neutralized T-mobile today.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Wumpus said:
Did you notice that there are only seven Discovery guys on the front including Lance? Where are his two big climbing lieutenants -- Azvedo and Chechu? Waiting in the wings for tomorrow?

That appears to be the plan. Two HC climbs tomorrow, I wouldn't be surpirsed if Lance picks his time, and makes a break. Rasmussen shouldn't is good in the mountains, but doesn't appear to be a big GC threat. I don't think he can take Lance in the mountains, although he's close, and he's not a threat in time trials.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Levi Leipheimer said this

A lot of the favorites got dropped while Lance and his team put the tour back in its place - behind them. A break of seven went almost right away and at one point I think they had over ten minutes. Discovery took care of that on the final climb to Courchevel.

It's like recess is over, the teachers are back and school is in. Lesson number one - how to destroy a field of riders and take back a yellow jersey…that's what we learnt in school today.
The fact of the matter is that this is what Discovery does. They go flat out until they can go no more, which accomplishes two things 1: it keeps the pace so high that no one can attack if they wanted. Notice Sastre's (CSC) attack. He got 10m at most and than got caught without Discovery making any change to the pace. Then straight out the back he went. Where he was of no use to Basso. 2: it blows the pretenders away so that Lance is left to deal with a few riders on his own, which is easier.

There is no question about saving themselves or holding back because Lance might crack. They kill themselves because they know Lance will come thru and make their sacrifice worthwhile. Its the biggest mistake the other teams make. They come with multiple leaders that will save themselves just a little bit in case the other leaders crack.....

Hincapie and Savoldelli were the ones that knocked the majority of the riders out. Then Popo finished off the rest. I pointed out in the other thread (as did Wumpus) that Ruberia and Azevedo really didn't do that much work today. Which leaves them rested and ready to deal some more destruction later (tomorrow possibly). I would say that they will just mark the field. BUT I'd say its more likely they try to blow it up again and see if they can stick some more time into group. The one thing that works against them is that the stage ends in a very long downhill. IF Savoldelli was to make it over with Lance it would be interesting to see if Lance would even try to follow him or if they would cut him lose to go for the stage win. It really does favor a rider like Savoldelli.

I was most impressed with Mancebo today, he should have died long before the top of that climb but he hung tough.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
DRB said:
I was most impressed with Mancebo today, he should have died long before the top of that climb but he hung tough.
Yep, he was smoking today, but you have to wonder if he can do it tomorrow.
Mancebo suffered like a dog today, and he may feel that tomorrow.
Even in the final four, did you notice the difference in their faces.
Lance looked like he was cruising to the store for a root beer and a moon pie.
If Lance's form is as good as it looks, he will take time tomorrow just because he can.

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
what about Jan yesterday he looked done :help: :help: :help: ,btw ,Lance can descend well ,alot better than some of the other guy`s do you really thing those sissy mountains are scaryer than cancer :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Wumpus said:
Where are his two big climbing lieutenants -- Azvedo and Chechu? Waiting in the wings for tomorrow?

Al Trautwig didn't repeat that 10 times a minutes in any of the sound bites I watched....

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Jeremy R said:
Yep, he was smoking today, but you have to wonder if he can do it tomorrow.
Mancebo suffered like a dog today, and he may feel that tomorrow.
Even in the final four, did you notice the difference in their faces.
Lance looked like he was cruising to the store for a root beer and a moon pie.
If Lance's form is as good as it looks, he will take time tomorrow just because he can.
he in no way looked like he was cruisin. the man has been racing road for a long time. those guys know how to play possium with the best of em

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
indieboy said:
he in no way looked like he was cruisin. the man has been racing road for a long time. those guys know how to play possium with the best of em
Yeah, he has played all those games before, but I have been watching Lance long enough to know when he rides close to his limit.
Like last year when he and Basso were climbing together, they were maxed out.
Lance simply wasted a lot less energy on the climb today than the riders who were trying to follow.