Quantcast

A question on helmet fit

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
So I know the basics of helmet fit, and I have a helmet that really fits my head well. It doesn't move and it's just tight enough to be snug without squeezing my brain out my eyes. My problem is that when paired with goggles, the brim of the helmet is low enough to push the goggles into my nose, causing bad fit (fogging) and closing my nostrils. In order to compensate, I have to move the helmet up, which raises the brim, makes the goggles comfortable, and raises the chinbar as well. So...

How high can the chinguard be, while still being safe? Is it OK for the chin to protrude below the bottom of the helmet, and if so, how much?

I have a nice set of goggles that I ended up replacing because they didn't fit well in the helmet. I'd like to be able to use them now that my other ones are worn out, and this fit-conflict issue is coming back...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Right now I ride a Giro Remedy with Spy Alloy goggles. They have some interference issues but for the most part I can find a happy compromise. The lenses are toast in those, and I have a pair of Smith Intake goggles lying around that are in much better shape. I had troubles with the intakes and fogging and picked up the alloys for like $5 off SAC, which fit a little better, and were cheaper than new lenses for the Intakes!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
go to a moto shop with your helmet. try on goggles until you find ones that fit and work with your brain bucket. then buy them. (and don't be the d*ck that goes home and buys them online)

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I had the same problem with my D2 and smith goggles. The helmet fit very comfortably on me head but it looked kind of odd with the chin bar slightly too high. I recently picked up a D3 due to age of the D2, and looking for a little better protection, the problem no longer exists. The D3 is just as comfortable (without mods) and seems to be a better profile.

I know this does nothing for your scenario, but I guess my point is that; even though some helmets fit quite comfortably on the inside, the outer schematics may not gel with your melon shape. (I have a long oval shaped face/head)

landcruiser

Monkey
May 9, 2002
San Jose, CA
I'd be more worried about maintaining decent forehead coverage than worrying about the height of the chin bar. I assume you're not rotating so far up as to expose your forehead.

The chin bar isn't meant to protect the bottom of your chin per say. Or to protect from impacts coming from below your chin (not sure how often that happens even). The chin bar is meant to protect from strikes coming towards your face, so as long as it is still out in front of your chin/mouth, it should be doing its job. If you have to put it at an angle where you worry it's going to be deflected, then I'd be more concerned.

Even knowing that though, I too feel vulnerable if my chin is dropping out from below my helmet. Obviously a mental thing, but hard to get over.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Thanks guys. If I decide to buy a new pair of goggles, I'll probably just go up to the closest moto shop. Replacement lenses for my alloys, which fit OK, are probably a better idea...it's just that I have these other, higher end goggles laying around that could be awesome.

I'll double check on the fit on the forehead. I know that if I pull it onto my dome, then add goggles, it's too far down for them to fit right. The spys make me raise it a little bit, the smiths a little bit more. I've never really analyzed the fit of my helmet beyond "Snug, doesn't rotate, doesn't pull off, doesn't squeeze", so I wanted to get other people's opinions on how high is too high. I'll do a mirror test with it sans-goggles, then with both pairs.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
my recommendation comes based on experience. when i first got into dh i had a lot of bad experiences with crappy (cheap) goggles. i finally broke down and ponied up the money for a good set. haven't looked back.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Eh, both of my goggles are $50-60 original price. I just got them on SAC for a song. I agree with you on fit though, but since both goggles are a little wonky, I'm wondering if maybe my helmet is just not fitting right.