Quantcast

A rant

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
I posted this on another MTB board last night, just for fun, in response to a question about compact road frames. I thought y'all might enjoy it, too, in light of the discussion of triples (which also contributed to the genesis of this rant). So here you go. Note that, in reality I don't care what you ride so long as you ride it.

Y'know, I was thinking about compact geometry on my ride tonight. And as I gazed at the ratty old hoods on my otherwise pristine and lovely roadie, I decided that I blame you. That's right, you. And you. And yes, you too.

"Why o why wooglin, is a man who pedals with such fluidity and grace as yourself riding on ratty old hoods" you might ask. Well I'll tell you why. Its because they don't make white hoods anymore. Noooooo. They make nasty looking black hoods. And you know why? Because of you dirty, hairy-legged, baggie-wearin, aesthetically challenged mountain bikers. Buncha ****in goth wannabes if you ask me. Black is for lycra shorts. That's it. Its not for rims, its not for spokes, and its not for cranks or brifters or derailleurs or stems or bars or seatposts (cf excepted). Those things should be silver. That's right, silver. Not black you tatooed and pierced bunch of dirtbag ex-skate punks. AND BRAKE HOODS SHOULD BE WHITE OR GUM!!! Write that on your foreheads, would you?

"But what about those cool flat black frames" you'll ask in your whiney little voices. Frames are painted. Yes, with paint. Not powder coated. And appropriate colors are anything bright or metallic flecked. And they have decals proudly announcing their marque and tubes. And most important of all, they are all shiney-like and waxed to a sheen you buncha dirt grubbing slime would normally only associate with the compact discs (I'm reaching here, bear with me. Being crotchety isn't as easy as it looks) that contain your frenetically monochorded "music". And believe me, I use that term very loosely. I have one word for those of you who want a flat black, decal free road frame. Bite me.

"What's this got to do with compact geometry" will no doubt be the next (and only since there's not room for more) inane thought in your otherwise vacuous head. Compact geometry is useful to the person riding a bike for one reason and one reason only. You know what it is? Of course not Mr. "If you don't crash you're not trying hard enough", multi-concussed freak. Its for clearance at the TT. And who needs clearance at the TT? Yep, that's right. The same people who's idea of a good time is "hucking" (I'm so Xtreeeeeemmmeee). All that other ***** about the utility of compact frames is just that, *****. And its been fed to you by the manufacturers so they only have to make 3 or 4 different sizes. And you've fallen for it hook line and sinker. You even think it looks cool, so cool that when you finally do realize that riding on the road is as close to heaven as you'll see in this lifetime you actually have the audacity to pay good money for a compact road frame. You prefer it in fact. Cretin. If I ever get stuck buying a compact frame because there's nothing else available I'm going to hunt you down like a dog and jam a peanut butter wrench so far up your baggie ass you'll be able to adjust cones with your tongue.

But of course it doesn't end there. Not even close. Because the grand daddy of all the idiotic ideas foisted on real cyclists by you scummy mountain bikers is, you guessed it, indexed shifting. And not just any indexed shifting but integrated indexed shifting. Because of you there's a whole generation of benighted Lance wannabes (Eddie, now there's a man who could turn a pedal in anger) out there who lack any semblance of skills whatsoever. Hell, they don't even have to let go of the bars to shift so they can't even ride one handed (let alone no handed) smoothly. ****ers are constantly dropping water bottles in the pace line and then we all have to stop and wait for their pansy asses aboard their Trek "aren't these postal colors cool" Madone (ridden no more than 20 miles at a stretch). And their shifting skills? Non-existent. They shift like a bull in a china shop and their goddam perennially maladjusted drivetrains impinge on my ride chi, and its all because douchebag mountain bikers, yes, like you, can't hear their drive train in cruddy conditions and so needed a system that would slot them into gear with no muss and no fuss. Tools. But the jokes on you because you then bought into triggers and ... wait for it ... 9sp. Ha! Talk about an accident waiting to happen, I chortle every time I see some dirty assed MTBer with shifters, knowing that eventually, and probably sooner rather than later, they're going to be stranded out there in the woods. Probably cry for mommy like little babies out there too.

Thats it, I've had it. I'm popping A Sunday in Hell in the VCR and spinning on the rollers with a bottle of endurox unitl my heart rate goes back down. Next week, triples, their origins (look down moron), and why you better be carrying loaded panniers if you're riding one on the road or I'll kick your ass. And lets not even get started on aluminum.

W00t!! :D

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
LordOpie said:
I <3 man, but can you summarize?
Black sucks (unless its cf), compact geometry sucks, brifters suck, triples suck, and aluminum sucks. I think that about covers it. :devil:

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Heidi said:
Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays.
Ha! No, but you should see my hoods. They look like crap. Serial Midget would be spinning in his grave if he was dead.

:)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
wooglin said:
Black sucks (unless its cf), compact geometry sucks, brifters suck, triples suck, and aluminum sucks. I think that about covers it. :devil:
I disagree about all of that :blah:

Tho I would avoid black, compact and AL whenever possible.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
wooglin said:
let's see...

black sucks - doh!
compact geo sucks - woohoo!
brifters suck - don't know what those are
triples suck - doh!
aluminum sucks - woohoo!

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
The Toninator said:
sorry couldnt read the whole thing but looked nice. my new frame is going to be gun metal grey. does that count as black?
Illiterate bufoon. :)

Is it shiney and sparkly?

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Westy said:
black sucks

I even stopped buying white t-shirts and socks because I can't keep them clean.
Who the hell wears white t-shirts and socks? What is this, the 50s? :monkey: :monkey: :monkey:

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
hey i'm lacing my new wheel set on black rims with black spokes, does that count? It should go nicely with my gun metal grey frame. i also just bought a brand spanking new grey helmet that will match the new black grips that go on my gun metal grey frame i bought. along with the black tires and gloves i bought. it's got all the colors of the rainbow as long as it's black.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
The Toninator said:
actually i'm not sure it's anno gun metal grey and i havent seen it in person.
Well, don't worry about it. When you're riding it you probably won't even notice. ;)

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
wooglin said:
Next week, triples, their origins (look down moron), and why you better be carrying loaded panniers if you're riding one on the road or I'll kick your ass. And lets not even get started on aluminum.

Fully loaded panniers, one gear :D

I think next week you need to take on coasting. This whole not pedaling thing is getting out of hand. OH and dual sided pedals! And Camel Backs!

The Ito

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.

Let's see. I don't have a triple. Its black (flat as well) but since its cf I might be okay. But the hoods are black. It sorta has compact geometery. I do have white shoes. I do have STI shifters. The elastomer inserts have to drive you crazy as well. And I bet my 10 speed cassette is going to cause you to kill someone. I have a 9 speed mountain bike (with dual control levers) that has been completely trouble free and I haven't broken a chain in forever. And of course all of my shifiting is glorious in all of its indexing. I love it CLICK CLICK CLICK.

So go put on your wool shorts, with the campy flip flop rear wheel, 7 pound steel frame and leather hairnet and quit whinning. Oh and make sure you don't choke yourself with that tire wrapped around your body. And for those of you who have never seen Wooglin

;) :monkey:

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
ito said:
I think next week you need to take on coasting. This whole not pedaling thing is getting out of hand. OH and dual sided pedals! And Camel Backs!
I got to coast on the road yesterday for the first time in 6 months. It was GLORIOUS!!!! :)

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
DRB said:
Nice woks man. I guess you need them cuz your frying pan is behind your cluster, huh?

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! ;);););)

I'm killing myself today. Sweet bike. Fassssssttttt :)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I love guys like this. Here is a bike for you:

Because why do you need gears? Alfredo Binda didn't need them. Derailleurs break and are extra weight. And for that matter, who needs brakes.

All you need is to get Brooks B.17 and a pair of rat-traps and you have a great bike.

Bikes are getting better and better every year, but you are right, it is not about the bike. I would like to think people here would be riding track bikes and cruisers if there wasn't a bunch of fancy parts around.

But better yet, take that old piece of junk you ride and show up at the local Cat 2 training ride. Those guys will have something carbon on their bikes, at least 18 but not more than 20 speeds, and no wool or steel anywhere.

When you get ejected off the back in the first 10 minutes, at least you can say it was the bike not the rider.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Hey man, can you coast on that thing? Where's the brakes? How do you stop? :rolleyes:

Does it come with reading comprehension skills and a sense of humor?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
wooglin said:
Hey man, can you coast on that thing? Where's the brakes? How do you stop? :rolleyes:

dude, you wanted that kind of response, here or elsewhere... so don't be surprised when you get what you asked for.

PS: That bike looks gay.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
LordOpie said:
dude, you wanted that kind of response, here or elsewhere... so don't be surprised when you get what you asked for.

PS: That bike looks gay.
Actually I thought it might amuse some folks in its utter ridiculousness. My bad.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
wooglin said:
I got to coast on the road yesterday for the first time in 6 months. It was GLORIOUS!!!! :)
In a week I will have gears on one of my bikes for the first time in over a year. I too will be coasting. And while I will have a double, standard geometry, a road block, and a steel frame I will be sporting black hoods.

So there.

SM...:D lol

The Ito

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
P.S. I have a Seven Axiom Ti, with a 11 degree sloping top tube, full Dura-Ace and Ksyrium wheels. I actually asked for a standard top tube, and the builders at Seven convinced me otherwise. No complaints yet.

My first good road bike was a Scapin, lugged Columbus SLX steel, with downtube shifters.

My Seven weighs 17 lbs (and it is overbuilt). My Scapin weighs 22 lbs and is more flexy. Yea technology!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
wooglin said:

BTW, brevity brevity brevity. I tried reading your tract again, and I could barely make to the 3rd paragraph.

You have an opinion about bikes, one I heard before and I respect. If you get up on the soapbox though, I am expert in kicking the box right out under your feet.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
sanjuro said:
My first good road bike was a Scapin, lugged Columbus SLX steel, with downtube shifters.
My Serotta has SLX tubes and weighs 20.5 LBS with pedals, it also has black hoods and was built in 1991. Good bikes will last a very long time. :thumb:

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
wooglin said:
I posted this on another MTB board last night, just for fun, in response to a question about compact road frames. I thought y'all might enjoy it, too, in light of the discussion of triples (which also contributed to the genesis of this rant). So here you go. Note that, in reality I don't care what you ride so long as you ride it.

Y'know, I was thinking about compact geometry on my ride tonight. And as I gazed at the ratty old hoods on my otherwise pristine and lovely roadie, I decided that I blame you. That's right, you. And you. And yes, you too.

"Why o why wooglin, is a man who pedals with such fluidity and grace as yourself riding on ratty old hoods" you might ask. Well I'll tell you why. Its because they don't make white hoods anymore. Noooooo. They make nasty looking black hoods. And you know why? Because of you dirty, hairy-legged, baggie-wearin, aesthetically challenged mountain bikers. Buncha ****in goth wannabes if you ask me. Black is for lycra shorts. That's it. Its not for rims, its not for spokes, and its not for cranks or brifters or derailleurs or stems or bars or seatposts (cf excepted). Those things should be silver. That's right, silver. Not black you tatooed and pierced bunch of dirtbag ex-skate punks. AND BRAKE HOODS SHOULD BE WHITE OR GUM!!! Write that on your foreheads, would you?

"But what about those cool flat black frames" you'll ask in your whiney little voices. Frames are painted. Yes, with paint. Not powder coated. And appropriate colors are anything bright or metallic flecked. And they have decals proudly announcing their marque and tubes. And most important of all, they are all shiney-like and waxed to a sheen you buncha dirt grubbing slime would normally only associate with the compact discs (I'm reaching here, bear with me. Being crotchety isn't as easy as it looks) that contain your frenetically monochorded "music". And believe me, I use that term very loosely. I have one word for those of you who want a flat black, decal free road frame. Bite me.

"What's this got to do with compact geometry" will no doubt be the next (and only since there's not room for more) inane thought in your otherwise vacuous head. Compact geometry is useful to the person riding a bike for one reason and one reason only. You know what it is? Of course not Mr. "If you don't crash you're not trying hard enough", multi-concussed freak. Its for clearance at the TT. And who needs clearance at the TT? Yep, that's right. The same people who's idea of a good time is "hucking" (I'm so Xtreeeeeemmmeee). All that other ***** about the utility of compact frames is just that, *****. And its been fed to you by the manufacturers so they only have to make 3 or 4 different sizes. And you've fallen for it hook line and sinker. You even think it looks cool, so cool that when you finally do realize that riding on the road is as close to heaven as you'll see in this lifetime you actually have the audacity to pay good money for a compact road frame. You prefer it in fact. Cretin. If I ever get stuck buying a compact frame because there's nothing else available I'm going to hunt you down like a dog and jam a peanut butter wrench so far up your baggie ass you'll be able to adjust cones with your tongue.

But of course it doesn't end there. Not even close. Because the grand daddy of all the idiotic ideas foisted on real cyclists by you scummy mountain bikers is, you guessed it, indexed shifting. And not just any indexed shifting but integrated indexed shifting. Because of you there's a whole generation of benighted Lance wannabes (Eddie, now there's a man who could turn a pedal in anger) out there who lack any semblance of skills whatsoever. Hell, they don't even have to let go of the bars to shift so they can't even ride one handed (let alone no handed) smoothly. ****ers are constantly dropping water bottles in the pace line and then we all have to stop and wait for their pansy asses aboard their Trek "aren't these postal colors cool" Madone (ridden no more than 20 miles at a stretch). And their shifting skills? Non-existent. They shift like a bull in a china shop and their goddam perennially maladjusted drivetrains impinge on my ride chi, and its all because douchebag mountain bikers, yes, like you, can't hear their drive train in cruddy conditions and so needed a system that would slot them into gear with no muss and no fuss. Tools. But the jokes on you because you then bought into triggers and ... wait for it ... 9sp. Ha! Talk about an accident waiting to happen, I chortle every time I see some dirty assed MTBer with shifters, knowing that eventually, and probably sooner rather than later, they're going to be stranded out there in the woods. Probably cry for mommy like little babies out there too.

Thats it, I've had it. I'm popping A Sunday in Hell in the VCR and spinning on the rollers with a bottle of endurox unitl my heart rate goes back down. Next week, triples, their origins (look down moron), and why you better be carrying loaded panniers if you're riding one on the road or I'll kick your ass. And lets not even get started on aluminum.

I think I passed you today. I was on this bike...

;)

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
sanjuro said:
If you get up on the soapbox though, I am expert in kicking the box right out under your feet.
When I get on my soapbox I generally try to be a little more persuasive and a little less vituperative. I find I'm much more effective that way.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
wooglin said:
It was the ratty hoods wasn't it. They're a dead giveaway. Dammit.

:D
That, your ribbon bar tape and the downtube shifters.:sneaky:

The shop I just started working at is a cream-dream for the old-schoolers. They deal with new stuff, but their bread and butter is the used bikes and components.
I was this ' ' close to scoring an older Pinarello lugged steel frame in m-i-n-t condition last week, but it went faster than fast. 7sp, downtube shifters w/ 80's campy components. It's flawless...as if somebody bought it a long, long time ago and kept it in the box and forgot to ride it! Oh, they only wanted $475 for it.:eek:

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
DBR X6 RIDER said:
That, your ribbon bar tape and the downtube shifters.:sneaky:
Couldn't have been me. I've turned over a new leaf, and in an effort to embrace modernity I'm now running cork tape. Besides, Benotto doesn't get dirty so it would take forever to match my hoods. I give this newfangled Cinelli stuff about a week. :)

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
wooglin said:
Couldn't have been me. I've turned over a new leaf, and in an effort to embrace modernity I'm now running cork tape. Besides, Benotto doesn't get dirty so it would take forever to match my hoods. I give this newfangled Cinelli stuff about a week. :)
Heheheheheh...welcome to the dark side. Just be wary of their cork GEL tape:eek:

I'm in the process of doing a warranty on my road frame - they're going to hook me up w/ a 'cross frame instead. I'm down with it, since I'd like to have a good commuter bike. I still want to get another road bike, but I'm keeping my eyes open for an older lugged-steel frame with downtube-shifters and the like. Why not?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
You're just jealous because we "Xtreme" riders don't feel obligated to shave our legs. Even when we do ride road bikes.