Quantcast

A rare occurrence?

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
shorter chainstays than the stab, hooray! but 35lbs with a full saint build seems a bit...unlikely? i just don't see the exciting part of this bike though. yes its claimed weight is low, but it really doesn't depart from previous kona models very much. the suspension design is nearly identical, and while kona claims its reliable, i claim that kona's previous incarnations of that suspension design have ridden like poo. because every single one i've ridden has nearly brought me to tears.

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
The lower spec version retails for $2800CAD, so the frameset might be a hell of a deal for a lightweight frame with such good geo.

BMADED

Monkey
Nov 3, 2009
808 State
Same here. They will always suck in my view. This just so happens to be one of their better creations.

This may have to become a standard link in those "Hey guys I am a noob! What bike should i get" threads.
Quite the opposite from what you said first.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
The bike looks good to me you all be haters. The head tube looks good. Seems the same as the Giant Glory and I have not heard of any issues with their 2010 frames.

eatmyshorts

Monkey
Jun 18, 2010
South OZ
I hope they haven't cut any of that weight out of the downtube! I hope the tubing is super thick cos that headtube doesn't look well supported..

The rear brake mount looks a bit snappy - probably could have a gusset to the chainstay like the transition...

Guess time will tell if the weight savings work out..

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
front triangle looks terrible and they took away the floating brake...which people are going to start wanting now that split pivot is out...

in other words, Kona finally caught up...with 2005.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
My first FS bike was an old Stinky back before we were all to cool to ride regular old 4-bar (faux-bar) linkages. That bike was indestructible and fun to ride.

Kona just needs to find a way to bring it's suspension design up to speed (a floater is not the answer), but they are not that terrible.

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
You guys its just a big boy version of the Stinky :D

The prototype version looks exceptional, however the production model with the scary small headtube / junction makes me wonder what Kona was thinking...

Other then that it looks like a really good contender as a DH bike with very good Geo numbers

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
But still, it's the rider, not the bike. The Stab was 2x world champ under the capable hands of Barel...

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
But still, it's the rider, not the bike. The Stab was 2x world champ under the capable hands of Barel...
Remember how much Barel actually modified the original Stab? He rode nothing close to the original Stab that Kona offered. I think he was even the one introducing the floating break.