Quantcast

A reality based DW link Turner thread (actual riding content)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
This is a thread about reality.

In reality, the new turner dh bike is a functional piece of engineering forethought and execution that gets folks down the hill in a rapid and enjoyable manner. It has hardware that is adjustable with common tools, geometry that kills it, and is not out to kill innocent bicycle hub babies in their sleep.

So here are some damn riding pics for a change.

We got lucky with some clouds today, wiping out the normally splotchy as hell sierra sunlight. It was cold as hell though. I got a new camera not too long ago so I figured it was time to play around. Thanks to my buddy Karl for pulling the trigger when we got setup. 7fps burst mode friggin rules.

Click on these things. RM wants to enshrinken them. The better ones I left at a somewhat decent size.

Tried some lower shutter speed panning on the next two. Check vital for actual skill on the technique ;)

You find funny things when setting up a camera.

All brands represented :p

This one's for spomer. Still haven't actually bottomed this thing yet.

And I just couldn't resist this one :D

Keepin my brothers back east represented.

sorry bizootch........but not really :D

Last edited:

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
upside down goggled bar hump fist pump? this should go in the next level thread in the bmx and dirtjump forum.

Sweet pics, good to see a proper report rather than people screaming about dead hub bodies

must spread rep

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Hmm, I spy some tech-gnar-kuhl rox in some of those pics...So either you made quick trip to upstate NY, or you guys imported them from the East Coast (sans mud of course).

For realz, love the pics and I'm glad you're loving the new bike.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
upside down goggled bar hump fist pump? this should go in the next level thread in the bmx and dirtjump forum.
Don't forget the puffed up chicken chest. Takes work to get those shoulders behind your sternum. I just visualized a proud texan who recently had his pickup truck insulted. It's all about the mental game in highly technical and life threatening moves like this.

AEvans

Chimp
May 22, 2009
I had a sit on a medium today and it is shorter than my medium 2010 glory.

It looks like and felt like a really really small bike...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I had a sit on a medium today and it is shorter than my medium 2010 glory.

It looks like and felt like a really really small bike...
The cockpit might be. Check the wheelbases though. The HA on the turner is slacker so you'll get a smaller rider compartment for the same wheelbase. I rode a glory last year for a few runs and the medium by no means felt like a long bike to me.

According to THIS, and my wheelbase measurements of my bike, the turner is almost an inch longer.

You have any offset cups on yours?

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
i sat on both a medium and a small yesterday, the medium felt really close to my small '08 DHR. Looks like I'll have a white Medium here pretty soon, can't wait. :thumb:

After talking to my buddy who has a couple days on his, it's a definite evolution of suspension and geo. He's coming off an M3 with slacker g3 dropouts and says they aren't even comparable bikes, the DHR blows it away in every category and I trust him enough to know he's not trying to justify the purchase.

AEvans

Chimp
May 22, 2009
Yeah, I've got 1.5 deg offset.

It looked really small, cockpit, wheelbase, height - the whole lot.

Lovely though.

A few niggles the guy said about was that the where the chain enters the chain device on the top it is too close to the swing arm and fouls badly. Same as on the bottom of the frame. He also said that the rear shock bolt has been un-doing periodically.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah, I've got 1.5 deg offset.

It looked really small, cockpit, wheelbase, height - the whole lot.
It's too bad you didn't get to ride it. Coming from an 08/09 dhr, there was zero adjustment time for me. Once you stand up on the thing and get moving, the sizing is pretty comparable.

Dave Turner said he had a bike or two up in whistler that had the rear shock bolt come loose. On his recommendation, I sanded out a little of the du bushing material and loc tited the bolt. He's of the opinion that it was binding a little bit. I keep checking mine and it's been solid.

AEvans

Chimp
May 22, 2009
Yeah gutted I didn't get a go on it. Been contemplating one for next year but would like to obviously try out different sizes etc.

I'm sure the bike will be lovely to ride, but I was just very surprised when I saw how small it was. I said "so it's a small, yeah?". Who knows!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah gutted I didn't get a go on it. Been contemplating one for next year but would like to obviously try out different sizes etc.

I'm sure the bike will be lovely to ride, but I was just very surprised when I saw how small it was. I said "so it's a small, yeah?". Who knows!
The small is minuscule. You'd have had no doubt if you saw one of those :D

But I think you'd have been surpised with the medium......just picture roughly the same wheelbase as the previous dhrs, but slacker. So it's actually noticeably more stable....plus the suspension is just much more advanced.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Yeah, I lived in CO for 10 years and So-cal for a few and I couldn't be happier with the riding back here. On top of the over abundance of lift assisted options, it's nice to be able to follow someone down a trail and not be choking down dust all day (although this summer has been a slight exception).

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Yeah, I lived in CO for 10 years and So-cal for a few and I couldn't be happier with the riding back here. On top of the over abundance of lift assisted options, it's nice to be able to follow someone down a trail and not be choking down dust all day (although this summer has been a slight exception).
I'll take choking on dust over choking on mosquitos and humidity. ;)