Quantcast

A ride report...

J

JRB

Met up with a friend down in Austin yesterday to roll some new trail. No names will be mentioned.

First leg - started out going up, and up, and up. Immediately Wumpus hit a curb going in and fell off of the back. :think: We got back going and headed up. Lots of climbing, but mostly doable, even though it was a little slick on the rocks and roots. There were some nice techy downs, and then right back up. This went on for 6 miles or so. I saw lots of places that some 3 - 5 ft drops could be built in to nice trannies. We got done and headed down the road to leg 2.

After a few minutes of asphalt trail, we hit leg 2. We went in and the trail was perfect. There were some ledgy little tech downs, but it was also filled with tight switchback climbs. I was on fire with these yesterday. I rarely missed one, and when I did, it was newly cut and I just pushed out. I love this spot. We skipped the stunts, as they are on limestone, and likely slick.

We headed up the road to leg 3. Going in, Mark shifted and his hanger was bent, sending his chain into the spokes. I suggested he pull the quick link and we threaded it back out (the easiest way to get one out, I have found). We wiggled for a few and got things back going. We headed up for leg 3, which was the biggest of the grunts going up. It was nice. We went up through a few roller coasters and down some nice little drops into the creeks. Once at the top, we stopped for a sandwich. Chilled for a bit and chatted, and headed back down. I accidentally snaked Wumpus because he was screwing around :O: but we made it down ok. It was a hoot coming back down.

When we got done, Mark asked about leg 4. I would have died, as I started cramping on the ride back.

All total - we rode 14.6 miles and did just short of 1500' of climbing, according to Mark's broken GPS, since it felt like 8500' of climbing. :dead:

Sat in the lot and had a beer before heading home. It was a long afternoon, and I am sorry I kept Wumpus out so long, but it was well worth it. I will do it again in 2 weeks when I get back and finish with work for the week. We are blessed here with some great trail.