Quantcast

a ride thread for a Sunday

splat

Nam I am
Well it rained most of yesterday , and the forcast was for the rain to taper off over night be cludy in the morning and clear as the day went on.

Well it stopped raining during the night and when I got up it was cloudy and 55 degrees, checked the weather they were still saying clearing, cool.

so Today , Me , IF_rider, Berkshire_ride, Ben-o and RIP went out for anther installment of Berkshire riders 4 Hr Weekend ride series, today , Vietnam over to Peppercorn Hill , Via the Quaries.

We started of nicely had a good pace going. found a few Spots to play

Here is Ben-O working on his Hucking skills ( starting small) with RIP in the background

Well , RIP was suffering badly and finally called Bail out , so we got him to a Bail point , dropped him off.

Then it started to RAIN!!! This was not in the forecast! and it just kept raining as we made our way over to Peppercorn, needless to say we got wet! Very Wet . so we were going at a good clip and when on one of the climbs Berkshire rider had a Small problem.
he bent his inner chainring BAD!!!

We managed to Make it so the crank could at least do a full revolution with out hitting the frame and he would have to live in his Middle ring the rest of the way. but he was going again ,

and here he is climbing up a Nasty climb with lots of rocks. Ben-o got off easy ( with the camera that is ) because I had started up this Bitch , when he Fell full body into a Puddle , Dam I wish I could have gotten a pic of that !

once we got to the top of Peppercorn Hill , Berkshire rider , Needed to Huck it !

On our way Back, IF_rider found some rocks to play on! ( after he discovered he really did have Brakes )

You can see how Bad the sky Looks !

well We were already soaking wet , so why Not just ride right through the Charles River ! It hasa Very nice firm bottom which made it quite easy.

and fianlly Here is part of the GPS track from today , Just the peppercorn hill section , we went around it clockwise.

and of course just as we got back therain stopped! Go figure !

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Looks like fun times with Splat, and again you live up to your name.

My day started out bad and proceeded to get worse. Had a race at Douthat state park, home to some of the best and most grueling trails in Va. So yada yada yada 3/4 of the way through the race I develope an excrutiating pain in my left knee and have to bail out of the race. I get home to check my knee out and when I extend it under load the kneecap moves down with the lower part of my leg then snaps up neer full extension. A sensation that makes me sick to my stomach. It feels like I have a loose piece of gravel floating around in there. Knees suck.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Westy said:
Looks like fun times with Splat, and again you live up to your name.

My day started out bad and proceeded to get worse. Had a race at Douthat state park, home to some of the best and most grueling trails in Va. So yada yada yada 3/4 of the way through the race I develope an excrutiating pain in my left knee and have to bail out of the race. I get home to check my knee out and when I extend it under load the kneecap moves down with the lower part of my leg then snaps up neer full extension. A sensation that makes me sick to my stomach. It feels like I have a loose piece of gravel floating around in there. Knees suck.
Westy - oh man - are you going to have a Dr. look at your knee??

Knees do suck. :(

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I think Steve should just give up biking and take up a sport that doesn't include mechanicals! I can't remember a ride I've gone on with him that didn't include one. :p

splat

Nam I am
I Are Baboon said:
Sweet! I like that river shot. :) Looks cold though.
actually the water wasn't that Cold. ( maybe because were soaked to the Bone and it was only 50 degrees out )

but acutully right there the river comes out of a Long Culvert where it goes under I-495 , I have in Much Drier Weather ( not after all the rain we have been having ) Actually ridden through the culvert.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
McGRP01 said:
I think Steve should just give up biking and take up a sport that doesn't include mechanicals! I can't remember a ride I've gone on with him that didn't include one. :p
:think: I think maybe it's you bringing me bad karma. :eviltongu

Add one more to the list from last week. Five minutes into a ride at Douglas SF, I took a stick in the rear wheel, and broke 4 spokes. :dead:

14 Douglas SF rides - 2 mech.
At least 8 'Nam rides - 1 mech.
2 Borderland rides. 0 mech.
2 Blackstone Canal / Plumber's rides. 0 mech.
1 Foxboro ride. 0 mech.
1 Wrenthem ride. 0 mech.
1 Rayburn ride. 0 mech.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
narlus said:
glad someone got out yesterday.

damn weatherman.

:mumble:
No kidding. It was *supposed* to be cloudy and upper 50's yesterday morning, and no rain, with the sun coming out around mid-day according to the "experts". It started pouring on us at one point during the morning. :rolleyes:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
berkshire_rider said:
:think: I think maybe it's you bringing me bad karma. :eviltongu

Add one more to the list from last week. Five minutes into a ride at Douglas SF, I took a stick in the rear wheel, and broke 4 spokes. :dead:

14 Douglas SF rides - 2 mech.
At least 8 'Nam rides - 1 mech.
2 Borderland rides. 0 mech.
2 Blackstone Canal / Plumber's rides. 0 mech.
1 Foxboro ride. 0 mech.
1 Wrenthem ride. 0 mech.
1 Rayburn ride. 0 mech.

I have had 6 flats so far this year

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
narlus said:
glad someone got out yesterday.

damn weatherman.

:mumble:
Tim,

Ned, Sean and I got a ride in a Nam yesterday morning. We also, fell victim to the incorrect forecast. Instead of tapering off, the rain got heavier and steadier as our ride went on. I had forgotten how fun it is riding in the rain. Lukily I had brought my rain jacket.

Good times!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
give me a shout next time you guys are thinking of a ride. i was gonna hit bromont this coming weekend, but stuff came up. might ride local sunday though.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
narlus said:
give me a shout next time you guys are thinking of a ride. i was gonna hit bromont this coming weekend, but stuff came up. might ride local sunday though.
Sure thing. I'll keep you informed.

My time has been tight but Julie has been really cool about letting me out to ride. We've been doing XC type rides to get back into some semblance of shape, but they've been pretty low key.

splat

Nam I am
Lex said:
Tim,

Ned, Sean and I got a ride in a Nam yesterday morning. We also, fell victim to the incorrect forecast. Instead of tapering off, the rain got heavier and steadier as our ride went on. I had forgotten how fun it is riding in the rain. Lukily I had brought my rain jacket.

Good times!

What time did you go in ? were you one of the ones sitting under the hi-way over pass as we rode over to the Quaries ?

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
splat said:
What time did you go in ? were you one of the ones sitting under the hi-way over pass as we rode over to the Quaries ?
Shelter? We didn't need no stinking shelter! :)

We just rode right through without worrying too much about getting out of the rain.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Lex said:
Tim,

Good times!
Did we pass you guys down on Rte 85? We came down thru 'Nam and were on the way to Peppercorn Hill, and rode by some riders heading into 'Nam close to the 495 bridge. :confused: