Quantcast

A sad day for all riders - R.I.P. Stiles

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
"A favorite son of Asheville NC, Stiles Cummings, was reported missing in the backcountry of Yosemite National Park, CA. After 2 weeks of searching, his body was recovered.

His spirit was unmatched. His abilities were boundless - singer, musician, cyclist and artist. Stiles Cummings was a great friend to many people in Asheville.

We will miss him dearly. "

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
All I know is 4th hand. He was camping with his brother and then went missing. Don't know when, where or why. What i was told was he may have fallen in rugged, steep terrain. The only other thing was something about his shoes still being at the campsite.

Again...this is all been passed on way down the line to me. Accuracy I don't know.

be-radd

Chimp
May 31, 2004
O-town
Man, stiles was a good guy, very memorable person. I could never forget him wearing that cape at the Asheville urban decay comp. RIP man

Mikedsx

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
NC
Hard to believe. I'm sure alot of Ds guys remember Stiles in the Tigger suit. Classic. Heck of a guy, what a shame.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
he was one of the only "fast" riders that would give me the time of day and joke around with me. between stiles and jack, the local community has lost some outstanding riders.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Stiles was one of the first riders I met when I moved to Ashevegas. At the time he was into trials and street riding. He was easy going, funny and positive. There is not a negative thing that could be said about Stiles. We have lost a truly great guy and loved member of our tribe.

Ride In Peace Stiles.......

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
nice pics, the way we remember him!
his name captured his attitude I always thought-
rippin with stile!
that was something he and Jack Dowd had in common
they went for it wfo but pulled it off with style
I'll miss them both!

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
sad to hear that. i saw some video of him in the tigger suit on chain reaction 5. if i can i can get video. even though i didnt know him, he sounds like he was a good guy. rip bro

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
Remaining details are available from family members and friends here:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=2345116#poststop
Thats some pretty heart touching stuff right there.

I met Stiles once at Salem lake a couple of years ago riding with Ryan Taylor. That one 5 or 10 minute meeting has stuck with me even now, after meeting and forgetting countless riders at the "Fishing Hole" since then. He was charismatic and confident but by no means pompus. He was very complimentary towards our trail, and geneerally seemed happy to meet us. Above all though, I could tell, even after 5 or 10 minutes, that the man just loved to be on his bike. He was all smiles. Inspiration anyone?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
lol! i remember hearing about the $2k-ish damage done to that golf cart when he was building the santos dirt jumps :D
it seems that the stiles legacy knows no boundaries. i had no idea he was so well known throughout the country. i thought he was local to NC only and when i went to santos everybody was talking about this crazy good rider that built the dirt jump line there and was just funny as crap.