Quantcast

a "shaving legs" thread

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
yeah, i think it's time. i'm growing more and more annoyed by leg hair. i'm shaving my head on wednesday in leu of TX4000, so might as well see what else i can do.

so........does Nair work? what about that new Veet stuff, anyone tried it?

if those are no-gos, i figure i'll use my electric razor, then bust out a new Mach3 blade. any tips for a first timer? how often should i do it?

i only shave my face 2x a week, 'cause i have little hair on my face (22 and i can't grow sideburns, or a goatee...isn't that sad?)

will lotion work as an aftershave? i don't use aftershave on my face and i haaaaaaate the way it smells. i can stand lotion, though.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
use clippers to get it down to a workable length. If it's long it'll clog the razor and take forever. Then get in the shower for a good long time to get things soft and take your time with a mach-3. Use regular old shaving cream for the first time cuz it will hold the hairs up straight to be cut. After that, use lotion. It is slipperier (huh?) and reduces razor burn.

the downside is that if you are a hairy guy, like I am, you have to decide where to stop shaving. No sense in going above where your cycling shorts go. But the result is that when nekkid you look like you are wearing hairy hot-pants.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
When I went to shave the legs I was clueless. I ended up just using large amounts of soap and shaving gel while in the shower. Busted out a Mach 3 and went to town. Shaved most of the way up my leg, it went well, but I had to clean the razor fairly often. If I had had one I would have used an electric razor.

I grow hair very slowly...shave the face 3-4x a week, but I shaved the legs daily when possible. It grows faster and stubble on the legs sucks. I never did use after shave anything, but I did moisturize now and then...just smear some lotion on. For daily shaving suds from soap work fine as long as the blade is sharp...that is all I ever used.

When you do go for it, do yourself a favor and have a pair of freshly cleaned jeans nearby....best feeling in the world.

The Ito

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
those of you who have shaved, was the hair that's typically covered (thighs/quads) thinner than hair from your knees on down?

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
....also go against the grain. I thought that was a no-no but that is just for faces.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Originally posted by jmvar
sorry for the obvious ignorance in my question but, why do cyclist shave their legs? What is annoying about leg hair?

thanks
makes you feel sexxay!!!;)

haha Mutoli asked me if i shaved my legs a while back. pretty funny stuff of course since i don't i'm just naturally un-hairy.

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Do NOT use Nair! It stinks like all hell!

Suck it up like we women do... if you must remove your hair, shave. Oh, but do not be deceived. Shaving sucks. It totally amazes me that men would want to deal with shaving their legs. It's such a pain in the arse. Be careful behind your knees and around your Achilles!!!!!!!!!

J

JRB

I got really tired of it really fast. That is a pain in the ass to keep up with.

Inbred - if you shave the sack, don't post it dude. We don't need that thread again.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Originally posted by loco-gringo
Inbred - if you shave the sack, don't post it dude. We don't need that thread again.
I watched American Wedding last night....nuff said about men/boys attempting to shave....anything.

:p

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
As a swimmer I always found that the best advice from leg shaving comes from a chick. Ive only had to do my own a few times and those times... they were not so good. I did learn this, if you do cut yourself very bad... dont sticik it in a tub of water, trust me.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by jmvar
sorry for the obvious ignorance in my question but, why do cyclist shave their legs? What is annoying about leg hair?

thanks
i read that one reason is so when you crash, it's easier to clean up the road rash.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Originally posted by Capt. Jack Sparrow
Be careful behind your knees and around your Achilles!!!!!!!!!
I'm agreeing 100% with Laura, those areas hurt like a mo-fo if you cut them!!!!

As for why cyclists shave thier legs....two reasons are to reduce road rash and make the wounds easier to clean out if you take a tumble. Hair can become similar to velcro when sliding across dirt or pavement. The other reason....the girls find it sexy ;)

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Do NOT use Nair! It stinks like all hell!

Suck it up like we women do... if you must remove your hair, shave. Oh, but do not be deceived. Shaving sucks. It totally amazes me that men would want to deal with shaving their legs. It's such a pain in the arse. Be careful behind your knees and around your Achilles!!!!!!!!!
you're a girl? the name totally threw me off.

actually, my hair ends at that bone that sticks out the side of the ankles. i don't have any hair below that, and for some reason, the achilles is hairless like an inch above that.

Originally posted by loco-gringo

i can do that myself already.

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Originally posted by the Inbred
you're a girl? the name totally threw me off.
Understandably! I had to take a pirate name, and I figured it was a fruity enough pirate name for a girl. I mean, Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack is the swishmaster.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Originally posted by Velocity Girl
The other reason....the girls find it sexy ;)
true. :devil:

...& also you can see the deffinition in your leg muscles better. After I shaved I realised that parts of my quads on my choclate leg are bigger than my left leg thus telling me I need to work on my spin.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
You should try it. Flesh on flesh is (almost) always good in my book!
ahhhh....the freshly shaved spoon......mmmmmmmm........

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Forgive me, but what's a "chocolate leg"?
chocolate leg/foot...the leg/foot you are strongest with, usually riding with it in front of the non-choclate foot when your pedals are level. I have always called it foot but it is attached to your leg so I guess that is choc. leg too.

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Originally posted by TN
chocolate leg/foot...the leg/foot you are strongest with, usually riding with it in front of the non-choclate foot when your pedals are level. I have always called it foot but it is attached to your leg so I guess that is choc. leg too.
Right-o. Do you think a cyclist should practice putting the vanilla foot forward to become a better rider (more versatile?) I tried that this weekend but kept on forgetting. I'd rachet, and there the chocolate foot would be in front again.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Forgive me, but what's a "chocolate leg"?
They are out around easter. Frequently found attached to the chocolate bodies and ears of chocolate rabbits, and damn tasty too...

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Originally posted by Silver
They are out around easter. Frequently found attached to the chocolate bodies and ears of chocolate rabbits, and damn tasty too...
See? That's what I thought! I thought TN was actually a chocolate rabbit. But I thought I should ask him to make sure. To my surprise, he failed to mention that he's a hollowbodied treat that no one really eats and ends up throwing away in May.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
See? That's what I thought! I thought TN was actually a chocolate rabbit. But I thought I should ask him to make sure. To my surprise, he failed to mention that he's a hollowbodied treat that no one really eats and ends up throwing away in May.
You didn't eat your chocolate bunnies growing up? That's tragic...

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The reason cyclists shave their legs is because they follow racer fashion. Hairless legs, arms and faces are more aerodynamic and cause less drag. Road racers shave their legs for the same reason they wear lycra.

Even though I am a comfirmed roadie I have never shaved my legs - on the last group ride I did I showed as a pick up, since no one knew me by name they called me gorilla legs. :D

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
The only thing wrong with men who shave the legs...is the day of stubble when you both are prickly...:dead:

However....natural hairy legs on a guy are nice and soft :)

Oh...and a nice tip...those new "Intuition" shavers - they work Awesome! Trim the long stuff down first, but then talk about a nice fast shave...it's like...get in the shower and zip, zip, zip - you're done! :) No messing with that annoying shave gel/lotion.

Also for after - baby oil works well too to keep em nice n soft - if you don't mind smelling like a girl or baby :)

derekbob

Monkey
Sep 4, 2003
Chico
Reasons to shave your legs (mine arent shaved, but I seriously considered it in the past and may do it someday):

1. Cuts and Scrapes - less severe when they happen, and are much easier to clean and keep that way, not to mention if you have to use a sticky bandage on your leg.

2. Easier and less painful to massage.

3. Vanity and attention from girls

4. Aerodynamics - IMO this is the least legit reason to shave your legs, if it does anything it isnt much. Enuff to justify if youre a pro and need to get a small performance increase that is pretty signifigant at a pro level of competition, but dont do much for the rest of us.

last year my legs were so scraped to hell I got very close to shaving, but decided I didnt want to shave my legs regularly for an indefinate period of time.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Originally posted by derekbob

3. Vanity and attention from girls
The wifey certainly prefers me shaved over hairy. I think this stems from her um "thing" she has for cyclist legs that I believed she aquired as she watched "Le Tour" with me many a July.

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Originally posted by the Inbred
Schick Intuition, eh? hmmm....
Yeah...works well...the only part that seemed weird is you shave under the running water...

So long as you don't mind buying an overly feminine looking razor of course :p The sensitive skin one doesn' thave a "scent" so you at least won't smell fruity