Quantcast

A Shop where they know Shocks

Kopiklokoli

Monkey
Jul 31, 2004
Nor Cal, of course
I have an 04' Gemini DH and the rear shock is topping out really badly, i took it to my LBS and asked the guy what i could do about it, he said "nothing" and walked away. I need to get an opinion from someone who knows what they are talking about before i send it in for service. Oh, and its a 6 way swinger if that helps.
Any help would be great.
thanks,
-Ben

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
Mtn. View, Ca.
Kopiklokoli said:
I have an 04' Gemini DH and the rear shock is topping out really badly, i took it to my LBS and asked the guy what i could do about it, he said "nothing" and walked away. I need to get an opinion from someone who knows what they are talking about before i send it in for service. Oh, and its a 6 way swinger if that helps.
Any help would be great.
thanks,
-Ben

Judging by your signature, I'm thinking you are in the 650, on the peninsula? Try Evolution Bike Shop in Cupertino, www.evolutionbikeshop.com . There's a lot of years of experience under that roof.

Jeff 151

Monkey
Sep 25, 2004
DeezBay, Cali
When my swinger 4-way was topping out, more air in the SPV chamber solved the problem. My company is the biggest cannondale dealer in the world if a warranty becomes necessary.

Kopiklokoli

Monkey
Jul 31, 2004
Nor Cal, of course
Jeff 151 said:
When my swinger 4-way was topping out, more air in the SPV chamber solved the problem. My company is the biggest cannondale dealer in the world if a warranty becomes necessary.

Thanks a lot man, ill contact you if it becomes a warranty issue.

EBS

Chimp
Jul 2, 2005
Go to Evolution Bike Shop for your suspension questions.

evolutionbikeshop.com

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
40psi in the air chamber is the recommended starting point for any tuning of the Swinger 4-Way. Try it there.

santacruzer87

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
On my bicycle
I suppose I am his personal mechanic so I thought I should chime in. Its actually really strange, when the air chamber is totally empty it will top out really bad no matter how far you compress it into the travel. As you add air the point where rebound dampening begins becomes closer and closer to the the beginning of travel. Basically when you compress it just a tiny bit it rebounds hard and tops out. If you compress it lots there is rebound dampening no top out. Its like a dead spot at the end of travel that changes size in accordance with air pressure. I am 99% certain the shock is just blown because the problem gets worse as a ride goes on and the shock won't hold air.

-Ryan