Quantcast

A simple fix?

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Hey, I'm having problems right now with my crank continuosly comming loose. I tighten it a ton too. So, would like thread lock or lock tight be of use or what? Thanks a lot for the help!

ReVolVeRage

Monkey
Dec 28, 2006
MD/ NYC
I had a similar problem when I first bought my bike a year ago. I fixed it by roatating the crank so that one of the arms (the one that keeps coming loose) was parallel to the chainstay. Then I put the allen key in the slot, so that it was 180 degrees from the crank arm. Then I stood on top of the crank and the allen key and pushed down (with my feet) on both of them. To the point where I could no longer move either one of them.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Yea, I tried that... It still keeps comming loose. And if I over tighten it, I might strip the bolt. Still need help here.

Oct 24, 2006
Your BB or spindle may be shot- but its most likely the crank arm thats messed up. A "simple fix" could be to- rotate your crank around a little bit, couple notches, and then move the opposite side accordingly. You could also try to get some permatex and put it all around the spindle and on the inside of the crank arm and then mount it and let it set for 24 hours.

This may or may not be a quick fix, but from what you're explaining you'll probably have to get a new crank for the side that its happening to. Possibly a new BB if that was damaged from the crank.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I have a truvativ 06' rukiton crank. I have riddin with these for about 8 months. They were stock on the bike. The bolt is comming loose on both sides. The one on the left (non-drive side) is comming loose more often then the right (drive side). Thanks guys for your help so far, keep it flowing please.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
its because there isnt any pinch bolts on the cranks. i had this problem with stylos, and i see it all the time in the shop. get some xt cranks or something else with pinch bolts.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Danget. I really don't want to buy new ones. I'm soon buying a downhill bike...I need $$$ for car insurance too. Arghhh. Thanks guys for the help. Hopefully a local bike shop can help.