Quantcast

A Sweatshop-Free Bike

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I was thinking about this on my road ride this morning. As a follow-up to the Chris King thread from yesterday, this is component spec for a sweatshop-free bicycle:

Fork: Marzocchi only (Fox uses Taiwanese parts)
Headset: Chris King
Stem: Thomson
Handlebars: Jones
Brakes: Hope/Formula/Magura
Crankset: Middleburn
BB: Phil Wood
Derailleurs/Shifters: Paul (a bit of a cheat, considering they don't make derailleurs anymore)
Hubs: CK/Hope/DT
Spokes: DT/Sapim
Rims: Mavic
Seatpost: Thomson
Saddle: Brooks Leather

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Have you ever been inside a Taiwanese or Chinese bicycle factory?

I've been inside dozens and the factories making IBD level bikes are on par with the factories I've seen in europe in terms of working conditions. In fact, one of the nastiest factories I've been in was a rim factory in Italy staffed with Baltic and African immigrants.

If not, you're talking out your ass and basing conclusions on a generic newspaper article. There are tons of jobs here in the US that treat people like crap too.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
You forgot a frame manufacturer. I suppose there are a bunch of independant frame companies inside the US/Canada not to mention Surly, Cannondale, Rocky Mountain?, etc.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
dan-o said:
Have you ever been inside a Taiwanese or Chinese bicycle factory?

I've been inside dozens and the factories making IBD level bikes are on par with the factories I've seen in europe in terms of working conditions. In fact, one of the nastiest factories I've been in was a rim factory in Italy staffed with Baltic and African immigrants.

If not, you're talking out your ass and basing conclusions on a generic newspaper article. There are tons of jobs here in the US that treat people like crap too.
Well, I think my list of manufacturers are small shops as well as being fairly reputable.

This isn't some lecture. I could come up with a list of sweatshop-only components as well.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
macko said:
You forgot a frame manufacturer. I suppose there are a bunch of independant frame companies inside the US/Canada not to mention Surly, Cannondale, Rocky Mountain?, etc.
You would suppose correct. Titus, Seven, and Intense, just to name a few.

BTW, Surly is made in Taiwan.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
What makes you sure none of the parts or raw materials used in those products aren't from third world countries?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
sanjuro said:
You would suppose correct. Titus, Seven, and Intense, just to name a few.
Seven's stems/posts are made in China.
Bloody hands in Watertown!

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
Evidentally you'll have to change the thread title to: "As Close To A Sweatshop-Free Bike As Possible Short Of Extracting The Basic Elements From The Ground By Hand And Forging Them Into Parts In Your Own Basement"

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I have a Shimano-free and Sram-free bike. (at least I'm pretty sure it is...Sram owns everyone now)

That's as far as I go.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
macko said:
Evidentally you'll have to change the thread title to: "As Close To A Sweatshop-Free Bike As Possible Short Of Extracting The Basic Elements From The Ground By Hand And Forging Them Into Parts In Your Own Basement"
I feel pretty confident about the list I supplied. You might tighten the brake list down to Hope only, but I think it is exploited-worker-free.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
maxyedor said:
That's called Campy.
Also the high end Race Face stuff is made in Canada eh
Campy, Race Face and Truvative-free too.

:blah:

J

JRB

Titus outsources quite a few frames from what I understand. I am not sure of anything that is not Ti that we can swear is made in the US.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
If you buy a product made in China you are helping some poor peasant kid get out the mud and muck of a rice field and into an climate controlled building with a regular paycheck.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
N8 said:
If you buy a product made in China you are helping some poor peasant kid get out the mud and muck of a rice field and into an climate controlled building with a regular paycheck.

Like the 12 Chinese coal miners that die each day.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
N8 said:
Look at me!

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
macko said:
The Cannondale Synapse is made in Taiwan.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Well, if they didnt have sweat shops, they wouldnt have shops at all and they'd starve to death much faster than theyre worked to death. I think Ill keep doing what Im doing.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Just buy your next bike at Wal Mart. You know they treat all employees well and would never sell questionable un-american goods, right?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
jimmydean said:
Just buy your next bike at Wal Mart. You know they treat all employees well and would never sell questionable un-american goods, right?
Yeah check out the new Kathy Lee Gifford Edition GT :D

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
maxyedor said:
That leaves Suntour and single speed
DING DING!

Zoke fork w/ Zoke front hub
SC Chameleon frame
CK headset
Paul rear hub
DT spokes
Trailpimp rims
Bontrager Crobar
Atomlab BMX stem
Avid levers
Avid rear v-brake
Hayes 8" mech front brake
Azonic cranks
Custom chainwheel
KMH chain
ACS freewheel
Lock-on grips
Thomson post
SDG saddle
Generic flat pedals..(maybe Free Agent I think?? More likely Wellgo)

Someone lemme know if any of that stuff is Sram or Shimano made. I mean, who knows these days?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Wumpus said:
You're going to have to get rid of your brakes.

WTF?

When did they buy them??

I'm sooo out of it.

Anyway, my brakes are like 5 years old at least, so it don't count.

:D