Hayes 8" mech front brake
Azonic cranks
Custom chainwheel
KMH chain
ACS freewheel
Lock-on grips
Thomson post
SDG saddle
Generic flat pedals..(maybe Free Agent I think?? More likely Wellgo)

Someone lemme know if any of that stuff is Sram or Shimano made. I mean, who knows these days?
Cameleon frame is Taiwan
Avid levers are SRAM:D
Avid brakes are SRAM
Bontager bar is terk ewwwww :drool:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
How well do the boutique bike companies pay their employees?

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Jabuttri said:
Most bikes come from decently skilled manufacturers. These are not like the nike shops
Agreed. I've heard all sorts of things on npr and on tv as well talking about how high-tech the overseas factories are (or at least a lot of them) with all the fancypancy technology as well as air conditioned factories and what not. I mean think about it, you'd have to be skilled enough at what you do to beat out all the other people that are looking for a job. I'm sure those welders out there are pretty damn good to produce up-to-par products, and they have the incentive of keeping their job to do well.

I mean...I own an Intense M3 made out here, but... it's not to say that like an Ironhorse or Specialized frame would be trash since they're obviously nice with very nice welds on them and what not...:p

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
COmtbiker12 said:
Agreed. I've heard all sorts of things on npr and on tv as well talking about how high-tech the overseas factories are (or at least a lot of them) with all the fancypancy technology as well as air conditioned factories and what not. I mean think about it, you'd have to be skilled enough at what you do to beat out all the other people that are looking for a job. I'm sure those welders out there are pretty damn good to produce up-to-par products, and they have the incentive of keeping their job to do well.

I mean...I own an Intense M3 made out here, but... it's not to say that like an Ironhorse or Specialized frame would be trash since they're obviously nice with very nice welds on them and what not...:p
Not every item from the Pacific Rim was handled by a 10 year old factory worker:

Every piece of carbon manufactured is probably from a better worksite than Litespeed's factory. And I know that Specialized has better welders than many American builders.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
maxyedor said:
Cameleon frame is Taiwan
Avid levers are SRAM:D
Avid brakes are SRAM
Bontager bar is terk ewwwww :drool:
I never said it was "sweatshop free".

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
What ive come to learn from working on trucks is that anything to come out of an asian "sweatshop" is better than the stuff being made by the hillbillies in detroit, and the worst when it comes to quality control are those drunken brits :dead:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
DaveW said:
Just cos it's from Taiwan doesn't make it from a sweat shop.
Good point and thus you have negated this whole thread.
Also the standard of living relative to the rest of the country of the guy in Taiwan welding high end frames is damn good. The guy in America welding a good frame makes squat
:dead:

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Jeez. There was an article about Taiwan in Bike a while back, their factories are not sweatshops. China has sweatshops that make Nike shoes and shirts and stuff. Taiwan has very skilled workers in very nice factories. People think this same way of Japan too, though Japan is on par with Europe and the US in terms of wealth and factories there are as well-regulated as here.

Look at the welds on a Specialized. A 12 year-old sweatshop slave did not weld it.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
It is really, really hard to make a liveable wage building frames in the US. Do you know what the weldors at SAPA/Kenisis make? Squat.

Compared to the prevailing wage, a weldor in Tawain is doing much better.

It takes a sophistcated factory to build highend complex bike parts like derailleurs and hydro disc brakes. You know the shimano XTR stuff is made in a very nice shop.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Taiwan doesn't have sweatshops, sillynipple. Their labour laws/economic status is on par with S. Korea and Japan.

Now China, on the other hand....

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I have no problem exploiting you family, they make such a good product for SO CHEEP. The only thing that would make it sweeter would be exploiting you.

O and how did you get a costom title not involving a T-bag comment???

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
sanjuro said:
Defeated again! Exploit an Asian Worker!!!!
Most bikes are "sweatshop-free"...Very few high end bike parts are made in China, most in Taiwan, Japan, the US, and Europe. I'd dare bet 90% of the bike parts all of us own are "sweatshop-free".

Fair trade coffee, anyone? What is with this latest yuppie phenomenon of sweatshop free crap? Sure, it was a punk thing for awhile, and then they lost their precious Converse to market trends and complacency laws...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
blue said:
Most bikes are "sweatshop-free"...Very few high end bike parts are made in China, most in Taiwan, Japan, the US, and Europe. I'd dare bet 90% of the bike parts all of us own are "sweatshop-free".

Fair trade coffee, anyone? What is with this latest yuppie phenomenon of sweatshop free crap? Sure, it was a punk thing for awhile, and then they lost their precious Converse to market trends and complacency laws...
About 10 years ago, I heard Nike exploited their workers in Taiwan. I switched to Converse, until I realized it was the same thing. I finally switched to New Balance, which only makes 75% of their sneakers outside the US (but the ones I own are made in Malaysia).

One might say why bother? I should point out that 30 years recycling was considered to be idiotic, but the communities today which don't are considered idiotic. Opinions do change over time.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
sanjuro said:
About 10 years ago, I heard Nike exploited their workers in Taiwan. I switched to Converse, until I realized it was the same thing.
Most Taiwanese sweatshops shuttered about 20 years ago, after economic development was such that they were no longer warranted. It seems that Taiwan and S. Korea (as well as Japan far earlier) accepted the sweatshop as part of their economic development, as have nearly all First World countries (US, Britain, etc). Converse All-Stars were made in the US up until I believe 2001, when they were bought out by the same company that makes/made Fila and production was moved to China. Before then, most non-Chuck Converses were made in Korea (I had a pair of non-Chucks from the seventies a few years ago that were Korean). Then the parent company sold the Converse subsidiary to Nike a couple years later. With most shoes/clothing, you're going to have a really tough time buying stuff that didn't come from a sweatshop. I read an article a few months ago about a woman and her family that tried to live "Chinese-free" for a year and had a really tough time with it.

I think the globalization effects on the American economy have caused the foreign sweatshop to permeate and become a permanent part of our economy (at least in most major consumer sectors). I'm not saying it's a good thing, but it's relatively unavoidable unless you're rather wealthy.

As I said before, "major" consumer sectors, and high end bike crap isn't considered major...I doubt much of your bike stuff is or will ever be made in sweatshops.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
BurlyShirley said:
Not my problem.
Can we deport you to China? Please? McD's needs some more happy meal toys...

:rolleyes:

Lemme guess, "find another job", eh?

THIS IS WHY THE REST OF THE WORLD HATES YOU.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
blue said:
Can we deport you to China? Please? McD's needs some more happy meal toys...

:rolleyes:

Lemme guess, "find another job", eh?

THIS IS WHY THE REST OF THE WORLD HATES YOU.
GOOD! Why is it that Im supposed to care? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Ok, I'll weigh in here.

I work for a company that does alot of imports, I manage a number of purchasing accounts we have w/ overseas vendors.

Our corporate parent has a small army of people that do nothing but Standards of Manufacturing audits on each and every factory we deal with. They document EVERYTHING. Working conditions, wages, overtime compensation, factory safety, logs, cooperation, etc. They do random audits on a regular basis. A factory get a couple chances to correct problems, then they're dropped. They need to meet minimum standards to get the business, and there is stiff competition.

There are many companies that don't do this. However, pressures from the US public has many bigger companies watching the Asia factories w/ a microscope.

I think it's an exception at the moment, but the bigger China gets in the world market, (and they will be HUGE) the more this will be the norm.

The labor is cheap, no doubt, but to most of the rural transplants in those factories, it's a world away from what they make in their hometown. Think: USA compared to Mexico.

I've worked in some REALLY lame factory jobs. The only diffeence is that I made more money. The conditions I worked in in my youth right here in California were much worse than I see in the China audit reports.

My $.02