Quantcast

A thank you to the nice gentleman (Rat Pac Report)

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Thanks to the animal XC guy who tore up that ridge in the heat.
Thanks to the family (H, W, and 3 kids) who rescued me and Megan.

Mr XC took pitty on Megan and I as he passed us on the climb up RP. :) He caught the family he earlier sent on the long drive around the closed gate and asked if they would go down and pick us up.

To the family that picked this tired Rhino up, THANKS :o: :D We made it up 2 or so miles but were blessed with a truck ride up that last 3rd. :thumb:

It was hot and dry on RP. I have been up it when it was warmer, but it was pretty hot regardless. There was I nice haze in the valley...maybe smoke? The trail is in pretty good condition. One of the little skinnies over the ditches is missing a 1-1.5' section of sticks. :eek: but most everything else is seems to be in good repair. Some of the rollers have been built up since I was last up there...they looked like they would be fun. I stayed down near the earth...like I leave it much anyway :D but I was on my HT XCish bike.

I took a little rest in a coal slag mound off to the right of the spool up there....I was going to slow and there wasn't much of a back side so I lept for the up hill to the right ....sinking 6 inches or so with my shoulder. :) It was the softest crash I have had in a while. :o:

It was good to finally meet MeganB. :thumb: She was very patient with me on the climb. :D Props for a lady who can go up to complete strangers (my motorcycle club) and upon finding I wasn't there yet,....she just hung out with them after dark. ;) Did you ever get that Big Hit out of you car when you got home?

Rhino from WA

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
bibs said:
Glad to hea ryou to crazy kids are ok, I went on a 26 mile road ride with my roomate...(hes in way better shape then me) but I pretty much know how ya feel :)
WOW! 26 miles! That is a lot. We rode 16 miles on Sunday and I swear my a** has blisters.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
bibs said:
Glad to hea ryou to crazy kids are ok, I went on a 26 mile road ride with my roomate...(hes in way better shape then me) but I pretty much know how ya feel :)
Please tell me you didn't wear spandex..... :sneaky:

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
RhinofromWA said:
Aren't you broken? :confused:
Well, sorta :eviltongu but the doctor said I could start riding on the road after a couple weeks. The only thing that really hurts is standing up on the bike and unclipping.

Bibs: what kind of chammy do you have? I'm going to be on the road for at least another 3 weeks.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Snacks said:
Well, sorta :eviltongu but the doctor said I could start riding on the road after a couple weeks. The only thing that really hurts is standing up on the bike and unclipping.

Bibs: what kind of chammy do you have? I'm going to be on the road for at least another 3 weeks.
Maybe run flats? or flats on one foot? (OK that might be wierd)

I rode fomr Bothel to Marymoore and back on my HT wearing the cheapy Nashbar gel shorts. (under my baggies) That was about 19 (20 if you count the riding around the park) miles. There were on sale for like 20 a peice. I got one for Jessah and I. FOr a cheap set they do a great job.

Rhino

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
RhinofromWA said:
Maybe run flats? or flats on one foot? (OK that might be wierd)

I rode fomr Bothel to Marymoore and back on my HT wearing the cheapy Nashbar gel shorts. (under my baggies) That was about 19 (20 if you count the riding around the park) miles. There were on sale for like 20 a peice. I got one for Jessah and I. FOr a cheap set they do a great job.

Rhino
Ya, Kevin thought I should run flats but I really don't feel comfortable on them, so I just clipped in and tried not to unclip until the end of the ride.

I'll have to look around for some good road shorts to go under my baggies. I felt we could have rode farther, but we were loosing feeling in the lower have of our bodies :monkey:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Snacks said:
Ya, Kevin thought I should run flats but I really don't feel comfortable on them, so I just clipped in and tried not to unclip until the end of the ride.
How comfortable do you need to be on the road? :) I would still suggest a flat so you can move your foot around if it gets sore and the lack of pulling/tugging on it. But do waht feels better for your foot.

I'll have to look around for some good road shorts to go under my baggies. I felt we could have rode farther, but we were loosing feeling in the lower have of our bodies :monkey:
Your MTB shorts didn't work? I am assuming you have gel shorts for XC racing.

R

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
RhinofromWA said:
How comfortable do you need to be on the road? :) I would still suggest a flat so you can move your foot around if it gets sore and the lack of pulling/tugging on it. But do waht feels better for your foot.

Your MTB shorts didn't work? I am assuming you have gel shorts for XC racing.

R

I know...I know....I'm strange..but I just fear flats, less control over the bike.

I wear regular MTB shorts when I ride. I don't have XC racing shorts. Maybe I should get some. I hear that you can get caluses on your a** from riding too much on the road.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
bibs said:
I got some Nike spandex from Bikes west and wear normal shorts over htem, and a nike tank top for wicking sweat. I run clipless pedals,,its the only way to go on a road bike, make bunny hoping way easier to! :thumb:
Thanks Bibs, I'll look there for some this week! I was trying to bunny hop yesterday but Kevin kept yelling at me to be carfull :eviltongu

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Kevin, I am glad to see you and Megan made it up ok. That heat was a killer, I have been riding in it for a while so I am finally used to it, still I think it makes you about 20% slower. I am thinking of checking the Taneum Ridge out this week maybe. I have to get the FS rig back running. It looks like it might rain today which would be nice if it would knock the dust down for a couple of days. If I go to Taneum-later I might run a shuttle which is something I wouldnt do on Rat Pac. I ran up CE Ridge today on the way up I heard machinery, then chain saws, finally a whistle. Loggers had set up and were logging right in the middle of the road about three miles east of Rat Pac.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Borregokid said:
Kevin, I am glad to see you and Megan made it up ok. That heat was a killer, I have been riding in it for a while so I am finally used to it, still I think it makes you about 20% slower. I am thinking of checking the Taneum Ridge out this week maybe. I have to get the FS rig back running. It looks like it might rain today which would be nice if it would knock the dust down for a couple of days. If I go to Taneum-later I might run a shuttle which is something I wouldnt do on Rat Pac. I ran up CE Ridge today on the way up I heard machinery, then chain saws, finally a whistle. Loggers had set up and were logging right in the middle of the road about three miles east of Rat Pac.
You are going to need a lot of rain to knock down the dust. I like when it rains enough to make you wet while riding but still allow dust so you finish the ride the same color as the trail you just rode. :)

Yeah we just couldn't get our act together to so we didn't call you. I think I should have started up around 5am. :o: Then I might make it to the top before it got warm out. :help: Rat pac was a blast....I like the middle portion when it just cuts left and right thru the little ravine/ditches and continously drops down over the rollers. Leaves me with perma-grin. :D