Quantcast

A Trail Where the Brakes Fade and the Daisies are Plentiful

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Christoff Trail/Huckleberry Ridge

With about 3500 feet total gain/descent with most of the descent falling within 4 miles of steep and i do mean STEEP trail. Around 20 miles to complete the trail ride loop. Before the drop you're treated to an easy grade forest road climb. Long and steady with plenty of clearcut, it affords you beautiful views of the area. Especially on a clear day where views of Mt. Rainier can be breathtaking. This day the sun didn't do it's job of breaking up the clouds which settled among us along the ridge. But still the alpine meadows, the wild flowers, the tight (and i mean tight) singletrack, the fun downhill and the good company all made up for slightly uncooperative weather.

Went out with the local advocacy group BBTC, and i had a good time. Since i've been on this trail before and knew the difficulty of the descent, i was suprised and happy to see everybody was having a great time surfing and or crashing their way down the hill. It takes a certain brand of craziness for a mt. bike rider to enjoy a good climb, and also appreciate a gnarl descent. It was refreshing to be with a group of crazies that enjoy this kind of trail like i do.

Not being in prime condition from an injury that set me back for a few weeks, i rode out with a half hour head start. i knew i would be chased down inevitably by some of the strongest riders. it was fun taking my time up and looking down at the progress of the riders below.
Click the pic for a larger view

Many a complaint about forest road climbs is that they get boring. For myself i find that getting lost in thoughts and occasionally looking around at views like these can be pretty inspiring.

Up in the clouds. The ridge ride starts with an old forest road that's been transformed into a short washy rocky singletrack.

After some more forest road the Christoff Trail begins and immediately you are immersed in the trees.

The wildflowers were thriving.

A fun descent in the dark woods just before the real steep fun begins.

At this point the bottom drops out of the trail and you are pretty much hard on your brakes for 90% of the way down. The undergrowth obscuring the skinny trail so much you have to keep the front end as light as possible.

A couple of Mud Hunnies in the group and they were rocking the DH like champs.

i met this guy in the parking lot before i took off early. He confided in me that he was pretty new to mt. biking and his bike was something out of the eighties fully rigid with cantilevers and a kickstand to boot! i think many in the group had a slight worry that his inevitable crashing might discourage him and make for a negative feel. Quite the opposite, squeeling breaks and many crashes he always emerged from the trees with a huge smile on his face. Simon if you are reading this, your awesome attitude was inspiring and refreshing to us all.

It's amazing what courage a camera can provide. Nice skinny off camber chute.

Down down down we go....

Here's John the guy that showed me the trail a couple years ago and a guy who's very active in Mt. Biking advocacy in the area. Getting lost in the daisies, can anyone out there see the trail? We couldn't.:)

i have a suspicion that if a trail really likes you it will give you marks to let you remember it by. That's why i wear armor alot, since alot of trails like me.

All in all a successful ride. My knee hurts from overusing it and crashing on it twice, but it was totally worth it. Good times.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I thought you were doing this ride on sunday...?

anywho, good stuff!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Toshi said:
christoff3.jpg is really nice!
Thanx.
Yah i was compelled to double back. i was on a good climbing groove, but after taking a glimpse of that after a few seconds, i knew i had to stop and get the shot. :cool:

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Great stuff, as always Skookum.

I suppose my personal fav it #4. The fog really adds dimension to the shot.

Thanks for reminding me of yet another trail I've gotta hit.

Denny

Chimp
Aug 27, 2002
Seattle, WA
Awesome pics Skooks, I did Kachess today with a friend. Made it to the top, sat down, and boom, the shuttle truck with 12 DH'ers shows up, and it starts raining :think:

My friend got super tired and crashed a few times on the downhill, and my avid discs were fading, but the flowers were out, and the trail was great. It feels good to pedal up real mountains again. I'll have to check out Christoff some time.