Quantcast

a truck this big

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
SkaredShtles said:
The taxes should be highest on cars like the Audi S4. :p
Yeah prob the most efficient fast car out there...do you have any idea how much stuff/people you could put in that car, not to mention put 2 bikes and a yakima box on top, the smaller sedan's are the way to go. I moved into and out of a house in college with my old jetta...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Yeah prob the most efficient fast car out there...do you have any idea how much stuff/people you could put in that car, not to mention put 2 bikes and a yakima box on top, the smaller sedan's are the way to go. I moved into and out of a house in college with my old jetta...
:nonono: :nonono:

What's *fast* got to do with any of this? I think we should make you drive a Dihatsu diesel. :mad:

J

JRB

manhattanprjkt83 said:
<snip>...do you have any idea how much stuff/people you could put in that car, not to mention put 2 bikes and a yakima box on top, the smaller sedan's are the way to go. I moved into and out of a house in college with my old jetta...
Really - can you measure this in sunglasses and slutty chicks??? I don't really get the numbers the way you have phrased them thus far.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
loco said:
Really - can you measure this in sunglasses and slutty chicks??? I don't really get the numbers the way you have phrased them thus far.
Here's how it goes:

"I like Audi S4s. They are my ultimate dream car. Therefore, everyone should be able to get by with an S4 or smaller car. Everyone who buys a bigger car than me is dumb."

Of course you already knew this........... :D

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
Here's how it goes:

"I like Audi S4s. They are my ultimate dream car. Therefore, everyone should be able to get by with an S4 or smaller car. Everyone who buys a bigger car than me is dumb."

Of course you already knew this........... :D
We all pale in comparison to his shadow. I have been aware of that for quite some time. I also know that any minute brungeman will be along to tell you and I that we are assholes.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Hold on, wasn't this thread about a big truck?
Allow me to make UKJason feel inadiquate in 3 easy steps
1.The F250 is 5 tons, fully loaded, only about 2.5 tons empty, a Rolls Phanton weighs over 3 tons empty and can't pull a trailer with a bobcat on it
2.The F250 is a truck, designed to pull big heavy things, so it needs to be big
3.I just spent a week driving a Rang Rover Supercharged, it got about 5mpg on road, and 2mpg offroad, so that's how efficient the British are.

Sure there are alot of people driving F250s who don't need one, but it's their choise, and they get stuck buing the gas, so who cares?

Manhattenprjkt83, I hate to say it but if you can barley afford to fill up a vr6, you really aren't making very good money.

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
ukjason said:
The truth hurts
Way to go cockmouth... why would you come onto a MOUNTAIN BIKING forum and call Americans fat? Sure, we have tubbs around the country, but the majority of people on this board are fit and work for it. If you want to bitch about cars (most of us ride bikes, many of us commute by bike) or obesity (already covered), then go to some auto and food / obesity support forums.

Remember the "questions for the brit" thread? Well I have a few: How old are you? Don't you have anything better to do?

Kopiklokoli

Monkey
Jul 31, 2004
Nor Cal, of course
In my government class i was informed that England is pretty much Americas bitch. Well not those exact words, but something like "the brittish government will do whatever America tells it to do." So how does it feel to be a bunch of fat peoples bitch?

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
Kopiklokoli said:
In my government class i was informed that England is pretty much Americas bitch. Well not those exact words, but something like "the brittish government will do whatever America tells it to do." So how does it feel to be a bunch of fat peoples bitch?
Interesting attitude. So if GB is America's bitch because they listen to us, then are you your prof's bitch for repeating what s/he thinks? The continual back-and-forth "my country's dick is bigger than your country's dick" banter is pretty spent.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
maxyedor said:
Hold on, wasn't this thread about a big truck?
Allow me to make UKJason feel inadiquate in 3 easy steps
1.The F250 is 5 tons, fully loaded, only about 2.5 tons empty, a Rolls Phanton weighs over 3 tons empty and can't pull a trailer with a bobcat on it
2.The F250 is a truck, designed to pull big heavy things, so it needs to be big
3.I just spent a week driving a Rang Rover Supercharged, it got about 5mpg on road, and 2mpg offroad, so that's how efficient the British are.

Sure there are alot of people driving F250s who don't need one, but it's their choise, and they get stuck buing the gas, so who cares?.....
Ford in fact owns Range Rover. Did you think it was a coincidnece that the off-road prowess the Land Rover brand is famous for went out the window a few years ago. Nowadays Rovers are street queens with lowered stances riding on independent suspension at all four corners. There are really only about four companies at the top of the automotive food chain. Toyota, Ford, Daimler/Chrysler and GM bringing up the rear. Of course there are others but they're hardly worth mentioning.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Britain has the highest levels of self-reported obese or overweight people in Europe and obesity costs the British taxpayer 1 billion pounds ($1.75 billion) per year. In 2003, 13.7 percent of youngsters were obese.
take britain out of the equation and i'd be interested to see the relative levels...it's pretty easy to spot the americans in europe, i will tell you that much.

and even if britain is the fatty of europe, they are still in better shape than the US:

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=61329

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Obeisity (% of total population):

#1 United States 30.6%
#2 Mexico 24.2%
#3 United Kingdom 23%
#4 Slovakia 22.4%
#5 Greece 21.9%
#6 Australia 21.7%
#7 New Zealand 20.9%
#8 Hungary 18.8%
#9 Luxembourg 18.4%
#10 Czech Republic 14.8%
#11 Canada 14.3%
#12 Spain 13.1%
#13 Ireland 13%
#14 Germany 12.9%
#15 Finland 12.8%
#16 Portugal 12.8%
#17 Iceland 12.4%
#18 Turkey 12%
#19 Belgium 11.7%
#20 Netherlands 10%
#21 Sweden 9.7%
#22 Denmark 9.5%
#23 France 9.4%
#24 Austria 9.1%
#25 Italy 8.5%
#26 Norway 8.3%
#27 Switzerland 7.7%
#28 Korea, South 3.2%
#29 Japan 3.2%

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
Did any of you read about the truck at all?
How about the part where the motor can run on three differant types of fuel?
It's a concept truck. They make it over the top to see what can be done. Now the public needs to say to Ford what they do and don't like about it so a real truck that makes sence will com from it.
As for why a truck that big makes sense. In the UK it may not. Some places here it does. lets say you are a general contractor towing your trailer with your back hoe and a bed full of dirt that needs to pick up the wife and five kids on the way home. Do you A. have a truck that you drive to work. Drive home. Get in a differant car. go get the kids and back home or do you drop your employees off and run your earands on the way home?

Not that I think everyone needs a monster truck. I have a small pickup that gets over 30mpg and a suburban that gets like 10mpg. I end up using the suburban more when it's me, girlfriend, my two kids, her two kids, food and such fron the store and a friend or two. I walk or ride my bike for more than 60% of what I do but the suburban makes sense for me sometime. If in developing this truck Ford or GM come up with a super clean, high mpg, multifuel engine I can someday drop into my suburban I supert it.

Remember it runs on three fuels one of which is super clean and one is super cheap, renewable, and can be grown almost anyplace. That is the point to say "Hey Ford I like the engine dump the rest." So besides complaining here write Ford a letter after reading the whole article and let em know what you do and don't like.:)

Kopiklokoli

Monkey
Jul 31, 2004
Nor Cal, of course
sam_little said:
Interesting attitude. So if GB is America's bitch because they listen to us, then are you your prof's bitch for repeating what s/he thinks? The continual back-and-forth "my country's dick is bigger than your country's dick" banter is pretty spent.
:confused: Ok, that makes no sense, how would I be someones bitch for repeating what they tell me, they never asked me to repeat it, im doing it of my own free will.....sorry does not make sense. But as for the rest of it, i just felt like getting in on the sh!t talking, I dont approve of trucks like that or the American lifestyle. I drive a prius, have solar panals on my roof and dont eat fried food, this was just an opportunity to contribute to a wonderful thread.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
It is cool that someone here recognized the striking simalarity to a Land Rover. It was partly designed at the Leyland group in Wales. Which by the way has some kickass 4 wheel tracks and is pretty awesome place. :thumb:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Kopiklokoli said:
:I drive a prius, have solar panals on my roof and dont eat fried food, this was just an opportunity to contribute to a wonderful thread.
I like the solar powered house part, I don't eat to much fried food, but I'd never buy a new car.

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
ukjason said:
Grow the **** up
How ironic. Here you are constantly looking for ways to show us 'mericans how dumb we are for buying large vehicles and how superior things are in jolly old england. So someone takes a potshot at one of your stereotypes and this is the best you can do.

WEAK I hope you enjoy being number three once we get bumped to number two.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
beestiboy said:
How ironic. Here you are constantly looking for ways to show us 'mericans how dumb we are for buying large vehicles and how superior things are in jolly old england. So someone takes a potshot at one of your stereotypes and this is the best you can do.

WEAK I hope you enjoy being number three once we get bumped to number two.

I kind of enjoy that brits design a vehicle for us pigs (yanks) then in turn complain about our consumption. In fact I can't think of a vehicle sold by a previously bankrupt British automaker that we rescued that didn't have as a feature obscenely bad gas mileage. The #3 comment however was kind of rude.....

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
BurlyShirley said:
Do you not think its a little retarded to be on a mountain biking board, calling americans fat? I mean, after all, most MTBers are athletes who are in shape, you know, not fat people...you're barking up the wrong tree.
You obviously don't go to many downhil races. Fatass central.

I'm going to leave now, my low blow at gravity riders is all I wanted to include in this thread.

The Ito

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
punkassean said:
Ford in fact owns Range Rover. Did you think it was a coincidnece that the off-road prowess the Land Rover brand is famous for went out the window a few years ago. Nowadays Rovers are street queens with lowered stances riding on independent suspension at all four corners.
I was awar that Ford owns Rover, but your statement about their offroad capabilities is just plain wrong. They still make the Defender, and the new LR3 is quite good offroad, not as good as my Disco, but better than when the Disco was stock. The Rangie performed very well offroad. Just because it is independent suspension doesn't meen it sucks. They are styled to look low, but as for ground clearance the actuall numbers are nearly the same, and all of the new ones with air suspension can be raised at the touch of a button. While the Defender is still the best 4x4 ever, with the Disco in a close second, The new Rovers are still very good offroad and hands down better on the road. Changing your vehicals to be able to sell enough to keep the company running, while maintaining the same characteristics that have always made your cars great isn't a bad thing. Hummer on the other hand is falling flat on it's face.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
maxyedor said:
I was awar that Ford owns Rover, but your statement about their offroad capabilities is just plain wrong. They still make the Defender, and the new LR3 is quite good offroad, not as good as my Disco, but better than when the Disco was stock. The Rangie performed very well offroad. Just because it is independent suspension doesn't meen it sucks. They are styled to look low, but as for ground clearance the actuall numbers are nearly the same, and all of the new ones with air suspension can be raised at the touch of a button. While the Defender is still the best 4x4 ever, with the Disco in a close second, The new Rovers are still very good offroad and hands down better on the road. Changing your vehicals to be able to sell enough to keep the company running, while maintaining the same characteristics that have always made your cars great isn't a bad thing. Hummer on the other hand is falling flat on it's face.

Too bad none of those compare to a simple CJ-7 where it really counts.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
fluff said:
Now you really are talking ****e. The Rolls and the Bentley the Germans can keep but the Aston will piss all over a Corvette any day of the week.
exhibit a: the v12 vanquish engine is basically two ford taurus ecotec v6s mashed together. (well, almost.)

exhibit b: the vanquish is a pig. 4100+ lbs. the Z06 is about 1000 lbs less.

exhibit c: acceleration. road and track reports the vanquish to do the quarter mile in 13.2@112.9 mph. the same road and track reports 12.3@116.6 mph for the Z06.

exhibit d: current day corvettes no longer suffer from gm-partsbin horrible looking interiors, while the vanquish shares some switchgear with the whole ford family...

the aston martin may land you more tail, but the corvette is surely the driver's car in this case...