Quantcast

a truck this big

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Toshi said:
the updated Vanquish S is still a pig, and the old model Z06 is still 1000 lbs lighter and faster (albeit not quite as fast - 12.9 or so in the quarter for a middling example) than the non-S Vanquish.
Figures don't tell the whole story the driving experience is what matters. Here the Aston gets 5 stars http://www.topgear.com/drives/A1/A7/ but the Corvette just three..http://www.topgear.com/drives/A1/A7/

Be good to find a comparative test but I haven't seen any.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
fluff said:
Figures don't tell the whole story the driving experience is what matters. Here the Aston gets 5 stars http://www.topgear.com/drives/A1/A7/ but the Corvette just three..http://www.topgear.com/drives/A1/A7/

Be good to find a comparative test but I haven't seen any.
that's for the DB9, not the vanquish. and top gear likes to measure how well the manufacturer in question fondles jeremy clarkson's "two-sack", to use Shirley's term, and i'm positive that Ford gave them a good stroking. :oink:

http://www.topgear.com/content/tgonbbc2/laptimes/thestig/

The Stig's lap times said:
1 Pagani Zonda F 1.18.4
3 Ferrari Enzo 1.19.0
5 Porsche Carrera GT 1.19.8
8 Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren 1.20.9
9 Ford GT 1.21.9
10 Porsche GT3 RS 1.22.3
11 Ferrari 360 CS 1.22.3
12 Corvette Z06 1.22.4
18 Evo FQ 400 1.24.8
25 Chevrolet Corvette 1.26.8
26 Lotus Exige 1.26.9
27 Aston Martin Vanquish S 1.27.1
28 Porsche 911 GT3 1.27.2
33 Dodge Viper SRT-10 1.28.5
35 Mitsubishi Evo VIII 1.28.9
39 Impreza STi WRX WR1 1.29.4
41 Subaru Impreza STI 1.30.1
42 Aston Martin DB7 GT 1.30.4
43 Audi S4 1.30.9
44 Porsche 911 turbo 1.31.0

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I know that IFS in-and-of-itself isn't a bad thing (I have it on my extremely capable 4Runner) but Ford isn't specc'ing IFS on the new Rovers for it's offroad capabilities. The Range Rover brand is now an upscale rebadged Ford SUV built primarily for the street. The features of the LR3 are there so yuppies can ensure their co-workers that their "truck" is in fact a capable off-road vehicle. They have too much body hanging low in all the wrong places to actually wheel in. Look at the Lexus GX series, same platform as the fairly capable 4Runner but with lots more plastic crap tacked to the sides to rip off on a trail.

As far as the Defender being the "best", that is very subjective. The absurd cost alone is a huge negative factor, let alone the fact that the older motors were complete hunk of crap gass-hogs. The newer motor is better but good luck getting one for under 40-50K used with high mileage because they are now the SUV of choice for discerning Xtreme layers, mortgage brokers and realtards with massive disposible income. A Jeep Rubicon will go more places then a D90 more reliably for 1/2 the price, plus there is way more aftermarket support. I'm not even a "Jeep guy" but compare the specs, they speak for themselves.

Finally, the major point of my first post was to make light of the fact that you stated that Range Rovers have crappy motors and Fords don't. I found that interesting since they are the same company in the end. I don't get it.....

maxyedor said:
I was awar that Ford owns Rover, but your statement about their offroad capabilities is just plain wrong. They still make the Defender, and the new LR3 is quite good offroad, not as good as my Disco, but better than when the Disco was stock. The Rangie performed very well offroad. Just because it is independent suspension doesn't meen it sucks. They are styled to look low, but as for ground clearance the actuall numbers are nearly the same, and all of the new ones with air suspension can be raised at the touch of a button. While the Defender is still the best 4x4 ever, with the Disco in a close second, The new Rovers are still very good offroad and hands down better on the road. Changing your vehicals to be able to sell enough to keep the company running, while maintaining the same characteristics that have always made your cars great isn't a bad thing. Hummer on the other hand is falling flat on it's face.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
So why the big pissing match about the size and usefulness of vehicles? Everyone bashes SUV's & big trucks. True most never see off road unless they are driving through the gravel parking lot to pick up their Xmas tree so F'n what. I guess it's the same reason people by Porsches, Subie STI's, Ferraris etc. They really can never be driven as originally designed (at least legally). So what's the purpose of having those? Sounds like everyone on the planet should be driving stripped down Honda Civics. It serves the purpose for everyone, right? My opinion, if you can afford to drive it, do so and enjoy it. If people bitch about it, they're just jealous cause they can't afford it.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Brian HCM#1 said:
So why the big pissing match about the size and usefulness of vehicles? Everyone bashes SUV's & big trucks. True most never see off road unless they are driving through the gravel parking lot to pick up their Xmas tree so F'n what. I guess it's the same reason people by Porsches, Subie STI's, Ferraris etc. They really can never be driven as originally designed (at least legally). So what's the purpose of having those? Sounds like everyone on the planet should be driving stripped down Honda Civics. It serves the purpose for everyone, right? My opinion, if you can afford to drive it, do so and enjoy it. If people bitch about it, they're just jealous cause they can't afford it.
:stupid:

And people still have the nerve to complain about high gas prices when they made their own bed. :rolleyes:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Brian HCM#1 said:
I basically agree but there is a line between reasonable consumer ego massaging and pointless irresponsible environment rape. Depending on your personal situation (i.e. if you are a building contractor or an office worker etc.) this line is different, but I think people have a problem when they percieve this line being crossed.

In the UK and Europe builders and people like that who need to haul stuff drive stuff like Ford Transit vans which are normally like 2.5L and do the job absolutely fine. They can lug a few tonnes without problem, are reliable as **** and go pretty fast. I think that's why Brits and Euros have an issue with 5.7L 5 ton trucks that yanks drive, they just feel that for nearly anyone they are unnecassary. I have to say I tend to agree in most cases.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Changleen said:
In the UK and Europe builders and people like that who need to haul stuff drive stuff like Ford Transit vans which are normally like 2.5L and do the job absolutely fine. They can lug a few tonnes without problem, are reliable as **** and go pretty fast. I think that's why Brits and Euros have an issue with 5.7L 5 ton trucks that yanks drive, they just feel that for nearly anyone they are unnecassary. I have to say I tend to agree in most cases.
Sprinters are cool too.

Perfect roadtrip vehicle.....

Edit. The one I want to buy.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
you know what really pisses me off? not being able to buy more than $50 of black gold at one time.

:angry:

:D

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Changleen said:
I think that's why Brits and Euros have an issue with 5.7L 5 ton trucks that yanks drive, they just feel that for nearly anyone they are unnecassary. I have to say I tend to agree in most cases.
That's because the Europeans pay a Trillion dollars a gallon/liter. Back a few years ago it was under $2 a gallon here in the US, no biggie then.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Brian HCM#1 said:
That's because the Europeans pay a Trillion dollars a gallon/liter. Back a few years ago it was under $2 a gallon here in the US, no biggie then.
I really don't think it is. Even if gas was a lot cheaper, I still don't think most Euros would rush out and buy massive engined cars. Especially these days, people are keen to pollute as little as possible.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Changleen said:
I really don't think it is. Even if gas was a lot cheaper, I still don't think most Euros would rush out and buy massive engined cars. Especially these days, people are keen to pollute as little as possible.
Big V8's burn very clean, I don't think emissions play a part here.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Toshi said:
that's for the DB9, not the vanquish. and top gear likes to measure how well the manufacturer in question fondles jeremy clarkson's "two-sack", to use Shirley's term, and i'm positive that Ford gave them a good stroking. :oink:

http://www.topgear.com/content/tgonbbc2/laptimes/thestig/
DB9/Vanquish, what's the issue - the discussion was whether Aston Martin were **** or not.. Here's a direct quote from Top Gear's test of the Corvette:

"He says the Z06 doesn’t “feel like an American car” and while the it may not have the most “sophisticated” handling, its brute force makes it very “controllable.” Lastly, Clarkson compares the Z06 to a Ferrari 575, and attempts to figure out why there’s a six-figure price gap between the two. In the end, he concludes that the Z06 is simply not enjoyable to drive on the road, despite the fact that it matches the 575 in every way on the track. On the track, the Z06 beat the Lamborghini Murcielago, Ferrari F430, and came very close to the Porsche 911 GT3."

Link: http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/05/16/clarkson-drives-the-corvette-z06/

As for Clarkson's partiality that is complete nonsense. He can be a dick but he gives honest opinions on cars which is why he is the highest paid car journalist in the UK (and possibly the world). He certainly doesn't need kickbacks from car manufacturers.

So whilst the Corvette is quicker around the track the driving experience is flat.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Brian HCM#1 said:
Big V8's burn very clean, I don't think emissions play a part here.
You'd have to overcome a lot of perceptions to get that message through in Europe I'm afraid.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
fluff said:
As for Clarkson's partiality that is complete nonsense. He can be a dick but he gives honest opinions on cars which is why he is the highest paid car journalist in the UK (and possibly the world). He certainly doesn't need kickbacks from car manufacturers.
i wasn't implying that he is impartial in the sense of kickbacks. i am implying that he favors the cars whose perceived panache (secondary to the exclusivity of a huge price tag) tickles his bum. but on the topic of kickbacks, how much do you think he spent on that Ford GT he has?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Toshi said:
i wasn't implying that he is impartial in the sense of kickbacks. i am implying that he favors the cars whose perceived panache (secondary to the exclusivity of a huge price tag) tickles his bum. but on the topic of kickbacks, how much do you think he spent on that Ford GT he has?
You mean the Ford GT he HAD. He gave it back because of the alarm causing him tons of trouble.