Quantcast

A very wild, wildcard!

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
If you have seen LaRocks "Whats next?" you have already seen this bike, It was the promotional bike for his video which is sold at a very good price. I have to thank all the help i on here. (you know who u are) because i dont know much about XC/4X/DJ/dual bikes. i was lucky enough to get alot of north jersey snow to plow, and a cracked demo 9 which will get warrantyed :D as well as some ultra cheap parts from friends and co-workers to buy this thing. It also can go WAY lighter

Weight before tubeless 2.1 kenda tires 29.6

2010! Banshee wildcard with DHX medium-1300
07 36 TALAS from ebay-400
hope pro 2 hubs laced to 819s-300
SLX cranks-traded stem
Mutt cane creek headset thing-90
LEFTOVERS
36T chainring
modded E13 LG1
raceface stem with sunline bars
ODI grips
XT derailur with SLX shifter
Marzocchi seat
canfield pedals
Code 5s with straitline levers

I took it out and so far only had a small DJ session on it as the planned XC ride failed with seating the fusking tires :mad:

but its so fast, never really ridden a "xc" bike but its so easy to pedal and it moves so quick, i pedaled up the hill for the dirt jumps every time :D Pretty stoked on it, now i just have to figure out how to ride the dual and 4x courses on a small bike.

And any nerds know why the chainguide (with a 36T backplate) did NOT clear the crank arm bolt holder things. ( had to melt and rip apart to fit it.)

Last edited:

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
how do u know aaron that you where able to get this bike?

and as before in threads of yours? what line of work are you in that you can get bikes like these (karpiel now, canfield, demo, ect) in this economic situation? i would think work would be hard to come by in north jersey?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
how do u know aaron that you where able to get this bike?

and as before in threads of yours? what line of work are you in that you can get bikes like these (karpiel now, canfield, demo, ect) in this economic situation? i would think work would be hard to come by in north jersey?
As for Aaron, i dont actually know him, he posted it for sale and took a good offer, also, at least where i live, people have A TON of money, I take my quad (with a plow) and ring doorbells to plow driveways charging anywhere from 75-150 per driveway, i can usually get around 25 driveways, that adds up VERY fast. During the summer i was working at a bike shop. You can get a plow truck from anywhere from 3500-8000 depending on truck and plow and condition, and double your money VERY fast. I live where people are so rich they dont even care, the last house i plowed gave me keys to a M3 and a M6 and asked me to move them into the street.

adding upon that, i have no "real" expenses being 18, i commute to college and if i have no money can eat at home. My parents will also give me gas/food money when/if i need it, so that also helps. I am sure it would be harder to afford the bike stuff if i had a house and other obligations to pay.

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I thought the Rampant was the 4x / slalom bike from Banshee?
yes, it is, but being as ive never had a short travel bike, and ive been terrible on the few i have ridden, i decided to try something a little "more" most 3-4 inch bikes ive ridden didnt absorb anything except cases, where as the 5-6 inch travel bikes smoothed out the ride.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
That turned out a lot better than I thought it would, the way you were describing it made me thing of a frankin bike. The title of the thread is gay though, haha.

builttoride

Chimp
Jan 21, 2007
You should rotate the shock around so that the reservior is still at the top, but between the shock and the seat tube. This is how it is meant to be positioned when in 5" travel mode as you have it.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
man that is a crazy weight, not saying BS but..... wait i am saying BS...

I have a transition double built up single speed, with a float 36, and pretty much everything lighter except the wheelset and maybe tires and its at 30.4.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Weight VIA topeak scale (with tires) 33.96 and weight VIA hanging scale used for the 29.6 measurement, 33.6. Tires are tubeless 2.1 small block eights if you want to subtract to find the weight.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
I am very surprised you got your wildcard that light? the WC frame is not as light as Banshee claim, its actually a full 1lb heavier as we found out when we weighed mine!

my wildcard was 34lb with Lyric 2-step / DHX air shock and was pimped to hell (Thomson / Easton / X-9 / Saint HT2, magnesium pedals, Juicy Carbons, etc.), even had a pivotal seat post / combo (bmx size with shim) and Stan's no-tubes with Specialized Fast Trak kevlar tires (450gm) on Pro II hubs with singletrack rims

about the lightest Wildcard we built (we import Mythic / Banshee into the UK) apart from one kid who spent crazy money and got his down to 32lb

my Rampant is 28lb with a Pike air u-turn, Stans ZTR Flow rims on Pro II hubs, Fast Trak kevlar tires inflated with Stan's, SLX cranks, drilled out E13, Thomson x4 stem / elite post / ti saddle and fully fitted with Ti and alloy bolts

Rampant frame is 6.95lb in short size (mine) and about 6.98lb in the long size with Fox RP2 air shock

as the saying goes, scale shot? or the weight does not stand...

builttoride

Chimp
Jan 21, 2007
Wildcard frame is

(medium raw with clearcoat, Ano is about 0.2lbs lighter)

He has quoted the weight without tires... so that is going to be about 2-2.5lbs right there. Still a really light build...nice!

Last edited:

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
P
man that is a crazy weight, not saying BS but..... wait i am saying BS...

I have a transition double built up single speed, with a float 36, and pretty much everything lighter except the wheelset and maybe tires and its at 30.4.
Wow that's on the heavy side. I have an 08 Double with 831, Hopes on 721s, Gamut P 30, SLX 170s, xo rear der and shifter. Havoc bars , Thompson 4x stem, King HS, ppg 990 11x32, I-beam seatpost, Bel Air SL, Larsen tt 2.35s. Deity Decoys, XT brakes 185/160. It weighs a little over 30 lbs.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Acording to google the tires weight 888 grams each. (box said 800) double 888 because i have two and you get 1776 grams. convert to pounds and you have.

1776 g = 3.91540 lb
OR 3 lb and 14.64 oz

now subtract 3.9 pounds from a scale that says 33.9 and you have thirty. only .4 off of the original measurement. which was 100% clean, it has a LITTLE dirt on it now and air in the tires (if that increases it)

the scale used for the 29.6 (basement scale) has a sensitivity of .2 (it only does ___.2,4,6,8) so the weight isnt bullisht

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Pimp bars and deity stem soon to come, as the other bars have to go back on the DH bike. Any better recommendations. (and the pimps will cost 20 bucks new)

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
P

Wow that's on the heavy side. I have an 08 Double with 831, Hopes on 721s, Gamut P 30, SLX 170s, xo rear der and shifter. Havoc bars , Thompson 4x stem, King HS, ppg 990 11x32, I-beam seatpost, Bel Air SL, Larsen tt 2.35s. Deity Decoys, XT brakes 185/160. It weighs a little over 30 lbs.

nice man, that 831 looks like a sick fork but man are they expensive.

I would love to get mine to 29ish. here is my build

2009 Transition double size long with rp2 shock
2008 fox float 36 lowered to 100 (4.7 lbs with cut steertube)
thomson x4 stem and seatpost
shimano hone crankset with only 32t ring (no bash
corsair wheelset (2300 grams, heavy but strong)
2.35 kenda small block 8's with xc tubes
wtb devo saddle (210 grams)
deity bars (the higher rise ones, about 340 grams, could get lighter ones)
deity grips
avid juicy 3 brakes with 6" rotors
single speed conversion with 14t gear in back
corsair pedals (pretty much deity decoys or kona wah wah's)
fsa orbit xtreme pro headset
sram 991 hollowpin chain
rohloff chain tensioner (extra small DH version, very light)
and the boat anchor of a rear axle....
azonic 12 to 10mm stepdown axle (anyone know a lighter stepdown axle?)

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Oh right so youre just a liar.
if you cant read the weights and follow the math, i cannot help you, i have a scale shot, the weight of the tires after and the only "missing" weight is the .4 lbs, which im figuring is air in the tires, the little bit of mud on the downtube and rear linkage, and mayb the chainstay protector. but you are right, you know it all.:rolleyes:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I love what really upsets people on rm. Not snow and no riding or bike problems but other people bike weights, colours and geometry preferences. I think I've been riding the wrong bike for the last couple of years - ie. mine because I don't get upset by other peoples bikes ;)

btw. Sweet ride demo. Love the build even though I'd rather have 4 pounds of mud than kenda tires ;) Wish I had a place to ride a bike like that.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Who would have possibly done that?
idk :think:

And norbar i wish i could ride, right now a foot of snow here. I am waiting for it to melt so i can get some preseason XC in before dh, where im going to try to step down to a small bike. As for people flaming on the weight, not much you can do about that, guess tires are over rated :rolleyes:

And for the rest of the people that are going to flame me for the "missing" .4 pounds, if you can figure out what it is sweet, if not, you can get more mad about it, nothing i can do

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Same here. Wanted to do some snowboarding but really I have less than none time lately... Need to find some time to train before the season if I want to last at the trails. Stationary bike here we go ;)

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Same here. Wanted to do some snowboarding but really I have less than none time lately... Need to find some time to train before the season if I want to last at the trails. Stationary bike here we go ;)
have fun, cant stand moving, and going nowhere. i need to loose 20-30 pounds, guess who is screwed :(

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
have fun, cant stand moving, and going nowhere. i need to loose 20-30 pounds, guess who is screwed :(
I need to gain somewhere around that and I can assure you I gain weight much harder than you loose it ;) Good luck.