Quantcast

A week on the C&O Canal (long and lots of pics)

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
So I've made much about my son's Scout Troop Adventure ride this summer and we just got back yesterday. What a trip! 7 days camping and riding down the historic C&O Canal from Cumberland MD to Washington DC. All in all, 9 Scouts and 6 adult leaders traveled 205 miles by bike over 6 riding days and enjoyed some wonderful scenery and history. It took about 6 months of planning and coordination to get that many kids, bikes and equipment moved each day. But enough about details...how about some pics?

Gathering at the Cumberland MD visitor's center. Great old restored railroad station and all though offically the end of the C&O Canal (Mile 184.5) most riders elect to start there and end up at Mile 0 in Washington DC, since it's 'downhill'. (605 feet of elevation drop through 72 locks)

Me and X3 Co-Pilot at the end point statue. Hard to tell me from the jackass!

The group as we get ready to push off!

First campsite on Day 1 was 15 miles downstream. The National Parks Service provides campgrounds with water and porta-pots all along the Canal path for hikers/bikers. This was along the Potomoc River right after headwater where it's about 20 feet across.

Setting off on Day 2 (my son in the lead in the No Fear jersey)

One of the locks for raising and lowering the canal boats back 100 years ago.

Dalton at the entrance to the Paw Paw Tunnel, a 3200' ride in the dark.

Cool waterfall just on other side of tunnel.

Interesting rock feature along the path called 'Devil's Alley', it's called Devil's Eyebrow

C&O bicycle shop in Hancock, MD who helped us out with some free mechanical advice and use of Loctite!!

Canon firing reenactors at Fort Frederick, MD

Rest stop at Williamsport, MD

A sign I thought was hilarious as a downhiller