Quantcast

A Weekend of Riding!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
First, I must begin by saying :( I don't have any pics :(

Saturday morning, the hubby & I decided to hit the roads and try for a 32 mile ride. Our ride started out with a short climb (about a 1/4 mile) and then some flats and then a long sustained climb that was pretty steep at times and a moderate incline for the course of 3-4 miles. Next came a fun downhill section and then it was around to the river and some back roads to home. We got caught in a good T-storm too...it was a little unnerving as it was my first time road riding in the rain and the roads were a little slick. Fortunately, all ended well and we returned home for a swim in the pool with the baby.

Sunday, we decided to take advantage of the $15 lift ticket special and hit Jiminy Peak for the day. The trails were slick from all the rain, but we managed a few good runs and finished up the day with a couple of beers in the brewhouse. My main goal for the day was to break in/get used to my new DH bike. I used to ride an '03 Iron Horse SGS DH Pro and sold it to buy a little smaller bike (an '04 Yeti AS-X) this winter. I was pregnant last summer and didn't get to do any DHing so it's been a while. I learned quickly that the Yeti felt quite different. I was running the Yeti in 7" mode and it felt good...maybe even too squishy sometimes, but then again who am I to tell. Overall, I really liked the Yeti. The fit of the bike (15" frame vs. 17" frame) was GREAT and it felt much more nimble than my old bike. I am REALLY looking forward to taking it out again soon for some more testing.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Sweet! I didn't ride at all this weekend. lol....

We should do a mid-week trip to Jiminy when the lift lines are short!! Pick a date and I"m there! :devil:

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Heidi said:
Quite a combo - road and DH!
My wife feels that this is the perfect combination, actually. You get your fitness form the road riding and you get your thrills, skills and upper body workout from DH. She says she's actually gotten bored of "regular" mountain biking as a result...

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
McGRP01 said:
We should do a mid-week trip to Jiminy when the lift lines are short!! Pick a date and I"m there! :devil:
the large lift at jiminy is only open on weekends. the lines usually aren't as bad as they were saturday and sunday.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
narlus said:
nice, jiminy is a fun place. which trails did you ride, treesaw?
We were a little confused at first because the map is labeled with letters and the trails have numbers and sometimes letters. Basically, we rode:
  • Run 1 = "F" to "B"
  • Run 2 = "G" to "H" to "I"
  • Run 3 = "I"
  • Run 4 = "G" to "K" to "D"
Then the big lift closed and we decided it was time for beer :)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
TreeSaw said:
We were a little confused at first because the map is labeled with letters and the trails have numbers and sometimes letters. Basically, we rode:
  • Run 1 = "F" to "B"
  • Run 2 = "G" to "H" to "I"
  • Run 3 = "I"
  • Run 4 = "G" to "K" to "D"
Then the big lift closed and we decided it was time for beer :)
trail G can be a bit of 'drag the rear wheel' endeavor, but the lower parts are fun. F and C are also fun but C can get a bit hairy w/ the offcamber stuff if it's wet. D from the top is a really fun trail too.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
I am glad to see you thought it was slick also....A few of us went there on Sunday for the first time...the first two runs were tough,after a break the next couple seemed a lot dryer....I would love to ride this place on a real bike...

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
ktmsx said:
I am glad to see you thought it was slick also....A few of us went there on Sunday for the first time...the first two runs were tough,after a break the next couple seemed a lot dryer....I would love to ride this place on a real bike...
Yeah, there was a lot of dragging my rear wheel :( It was fun, but I like more rock gardens/techy stuff and the trails we hit we just fast with sharp turns. It did dry out for our last two runs though (we stopped for a snack/beverage break after our first two runs).

Edit: What were you riding?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
narlus said:
trail G can be a bit of 'drag the rear wheel' endeavor, but the lower parts are fun. F and C are also fun but C can get a bit hairy w/ the offcamber stuff if it's wet. D from the top is a really fun trail too.

Yeah, G was a bit slick and steep at the top and managed to make me eat mud a couple of times. F was fun...we ended up on B instead of C but it was all good. We were planning on taking D from the top for our last run but missed the lift :( (they closed 5 minutes early by our watches)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
So, to top off my weekend of riding I headed to our local SMBA trails this evening. I lead a women's XC ride on Monday nights at 6pm. Well, no other women came tonight (it was pretty hot & humid) so I hit the trails alone for a quick loop. I managed to crash right at the entrance when a kamakazi (I have no idea how to spell that) rabbit decided to dive into my front wheel. I noticed it right before impact and swerved rather sharply...too sharply in fact, and hit dirt/gravel. It was really funny and didn't hurt that bad so I dusted myself off and set off on my loop. I rode for an hour and headed back to my truck. I had a great time and am glad that I decided to hit the XC trails (I was considering bailing and heading home to play with Syd and tend to Sq-Earl's wounds--he cut up his knee pretty good on a solo ride just before I went in). Glad I got out today and am taking tomorrow off -- it's supposed to have a heat index of 110 :eek: and it's my anniversary so I guess I'll relax instead.