Quantcast

A weekend without my bike :(

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
So, I figured when I dropped my bike off for a much-needed tune-up yesterday that it would only be a day until I got him back. But no...Mon. probably. WTF?? I tried to explain that this was the death knell for my weekend and he said it might be done by tomorrow instead of Mon. Granted, the weather is kind of crappy, but how does the average bike-less American spend a weekend? Suggestions? I'm tempted to sneak up behind the kids in my neighborhood who ride around on their full-suspension Huffys and swipe 'em. Ooh, that's a phrase I never thought I'd mutter...

Beth

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Best idea for this never to happen again...have a back up bike. There is no law on how many bikes you can have.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Plus, you can learn to tune the bike up yourself. They're not doing anything you couldn't do with a $5 set of allen keys and a few screwdrivers. And maybe a $5 spoke wrench.

I feel your pain, though. I killed my fork yesterday, so no DHing for me this weekend. Luckily, I have another bike!

MD

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Yeah, working on your won bike is easy. I know for a fact I can wrench bette rthan the kids that work at my LBS. I am always doing things for them when I'm in there. "Can you get this bead on the rim?" "What's a bearing race?" etc.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi

Geoff G.

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
scituate mass
yeah, truening wheels is the only hard thing.

The trick to speedy service, is to go to the smallest shop you can find. They will usually have a faster turn around time.

For repair work that I have all the parts for I got to my small neighborhood LBS, and the guy is really good at wrenching, and the wait is never more than a day, but if I need small parts for mtb's I need to go to the bigger bike shop, because he stocks nothing.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
downhillzeypher said:
I can't true wheels to save my life.

or even tune a derailleur for that matter.

Yeah, I totally agree. This was actually my free tune-up (I bought the bike a month ago). I have Zinn and it's a cool book; it's taught me how to repair some things on my own.

Beth

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
MikeD said:
Plus, you can learn to tune the bike up yourself. They're not doing anything you couldn't do with a $5 set of allen keys and a few screwdrivers. And maybe a $5 spoke wrench.
At the shop I work at, we use a lot more tools than that. We adjust hubs, straighten hangers, and do a whole lotta other stuff that requires a big tool kit. Maybe that's all they'll do at a crappy shop like Supergo, but at a good LBS, a lot more is done to your bike.

lanman

Monkey
Nov 2, 2001
Natick, MA
dude you are the people that bike shops dread, yes we understand you want your bike back, but so do 60 other people, and people just don't seem to understand that there are a lot of other people wanting their bike back as soon as possible, as said before, drop the dough on a book and some tools and fiddle with your bike for a while, it definitely pays off!!

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
hucker13 said:
At the shop I work at, we use a lot more tools than that. We adjust hubs, straighten hangers, and do a whole lotta other stuff that requires a big tool kit. Maybe that's all they'll do at a crappy shop like Supergo, but at a good LBS, a lot more is done to your bike.
True, but for the 'tune up' she's getting, I doubt they're repacking every bearing (if there aren't cartridge bearings everywhere anyhow...), and if the hanger is screwed, well, a big crescent does just fine with that...or a new bolt-on.

Maybe a $20 cable cutter should have been included in my list, but still, man, we're not talking about reaming tubes or anything really exotic here. A set of cone wrenches doesn't even cost that much.

But for most people, a tune up is really just getting your drivetrain running smoothly...cleaning/lubing/replacing cables and housing, adjusting the tension, maybe a spot-truing on the wheels. Anything more than that, yeah, a shop can help, but most people can and should do the basics yourself. It takes less time than even just going to the shop.

MD