Quantcast

A wounded leprechaun?

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
Can anyone identify these prints in the snow? This was from back in January of this year in the mountains of Central Pennsylvania. The snow was light and drifty, about 3 inches deep.A friend was hiking and did a solo overnighter and stumbled across these tracks. Guesses have ranged from a mountain lion to an iguana. The thin tail like print dragging in the snow is interesting. Im going with opossum.

PRINTS-1.jpgPRINTS-4.jpgPRINTS-3.jpgPRINTS-2.jpg

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
your taun taun will freeze before you reach the first marker!

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I was thinking a bird of some sort. In the original photos the snow is compacted a bit more between the toes. Are there any birds with webbed feet that would be in that area at that time of year? Seems like it would need to be a pretty big bird for tracks to be a foot apart though.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I was thinking a bird of some sort. In the original photos the snow is compacted a bit more between the toes. Are there any birds with webbed feet that would be in that area at that time of year? Seems like it would need to be a pretty big bird for tracks to be a foot apart though.
Toms can get pretty big, around 25 lbs...

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
Turkey is a good call. Definitely can see a resemblance in the photos. The original photos do show more of a web but it could be because the snow was really light and the prints were brushed over from the wind. And who knows how accurate the 1 to 2 ft spacing is, but I can see a turkey having at least a 1 ft span between steps here in Pennsyltucky.

Dang... was hoping for something a bit more erotic. I mean exotic.