Quantcast

Aahhhh...Spring is on the way, mud is in the air! What to wear?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Alrightyoh... Within 3-4 weeks the ground will slowly start thawing here and EVERYTHING will be snot slippery. Got some new mudslingers on the way, got last years shoes waiting for battle... But I need a really good "jacket" or whatever that let's me not sweat to death, not freeze to death, and not cost $200.
It would be nice if it worked in the rain as well this summer when it's a 103 and so humid you can feel the moisture enter and leave your lungs. I've read all kinds of good things about Race Face jackets and Helly Hansen, Adidas, but I don't know how well they actually work. And which ones won't stain as bad from the slime? Regular old jerseys work fine for the summer rains, but spring/fall here is always tricky.
Would also be nice to find something to practice in and not melt.
I'm doin the $30 sporting goods rain jacket right now...it'll soak a hoody in 5 minutes of pedaling no prob...

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Try the Adidas Trail CP Storm jacket. I own a couple and love them (one black for everyday use, one orange for huntin' season). Pricepoint has them super cheap, too:
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/16198-520_ADITR6-1-Clothing-710-Jackets/Vests/Adidas-Trail-CP-Storm-Jacket.htm

They don't offer any insulation (you'll have to layer underneath), but they breathe really well, are very waterproof, have some reflective piping, and take a pretty decent beating. I've stacked it numerous times on my dirtbike while wearing this jacket, and although there are a couple small holes now, I would have expected a lot worse considering the speed and violence of the wrecks. It also has an expandable back and a little drinking tube opening underneath the adidas logo on the front, so you can throw it on over your camelbak if you'd like.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
I can't recall having worn it in super warm weather, but the back is basically one huge vent, so I would imagine it would do a good job releasing heat.

Most of the time I've worn it has been either doing DH runs in wet weather (rode from the top of Garbanzo in some super crappy cold/wet/mud conditions a couple times) or for a wind breaker on my WR250. It's also worked well as a shell on night rides in the late fall and muddy stuff in the spring.