Quantcast

AB Thursday GMT

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That said, if money were no object I'd be thinking KTM Adventure 990... but moar realistically something like a KLR 650 would be great for me, and I could likely do the daily commute on it as well. What sayeth those monkeys with this sort of knowledge?
As squeeb said, there are a host of sweet 650's out there. GFF has a Honda he has ridden the wheels off of and swears by it. I like the KLR, too.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Or, if the old man is already on a beemer, I <3 my 650. Honestly, in that engine size range, IMHO, it's hard to go wrong. Every major manufacturer is building solid machines in the 650 size. Styling is your personal preference. Most new ones even have and ABS option now as well, which I recommend.
As squeeb said, there are a host of sweet 650's out there. GFF has a Honda he has ridden the wheels off of and swears by it. I like the KLR, too.
Word, thanks guys. I've got another buddy on a beemer he just picked up for a song and a dance, smaller than my Pops' but still larger than the 650s. He said most of his riding partners are on 650s, and most of them are on the KLR. I'm still MONTHS out from this, gotta finish building and race a car first (it runs now, BTW) but I'm thinking maybe after the Baja adventure in November I'll start looking moar seriouser in to getting a motorbike.

EDIT: My Dad also has a KLR 250 he puts around the desert on, but his main bike is the bimmer. I'd like to check that 250 out of his, might be good for commuting and whatnot... if he'd let it go! I think it'd be WAY too small for a big trip, but fun locally.

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Word, thanks guys. I've got another buddy on a beemer he just picked up for a song and a dance, smaller than my Pops' but still larger than the 650s. He said most of his riding partners are on 650s, and most of them are on the KLR. I'm still MONTHS out from this, gotta finish building and race a car first (it runs now, BTW) but I'm thinking maybe after the Baja adventure in November I'll start looking moar seriouser in to getting a motorbike.
800? They've only been making the dual sport 800's 2 (3?) years though the motor has been around longer. I couldn't honestly tell you much more than that. I've not read anything real bad about them however. A buddy at work has a F800 and has toured pretty extensively, he's very happy with it. The 800R is pretty high on my :drool: list if you want a more "street fighter" type bike.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
my younger brother either has a suzuki or kawasaki 650....fvck if i can keep them straight....

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
800? They've only been making the dual sport 800's 2 (3?) years though the motor has been around longer. I couldn't honestly tell you much more than that. I've not read anything real bad about them however. A buddy at work has a F800 and has toured pretty extensively, he's very happy with it. The 800R is pretty high on my :drool: list if you want a more "street fighter" type bike.
I just checked with my buddy, it's actually a 650 Dakar. Very cool bike. My pops actually had one of those before he got the beast he's on now.